Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
10thDoctorHaaaaa.gif

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Send to Cobra. Unless it's some time after the deadline. Then it's just a wonderful gift to someone!

If it's before the deadline, send it to Cobra so he can put up the snippet* and send it out with all the other gifts; if it's after the deadline, email the prompter directly.

Okay, gotcha. Thanks!

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Signing up to give and receive here.

Give: Science fiction, fantasy, horror. Can include LGBTQ. Erotica OK with or without romance.

Receive: M/M romance in a SFF or historical setting. Bonus points for rock stars.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
If you're thinking about writing multiple prompts that inspire you, there is no rule that says you HAVE to write ONLY the prompt you're "officially assigned."

*eyes grow wide, with extra twinkles of glee*

It is necessary for the guessing thread so we can spread chaos and wreak havoc and confuse the hell out of everyone in an orderly fashion!

This is exactly as insane as you might imagine, and then some.

In the past, just one person writing multiple stories wrought much havoc and confusion.

Now just imagine how much chaos we'll sow if multiple people write multiple stories, and an author being guessed is no longer a guarantee that they're out of the running... >:-D

Mua ha ha ha haaa

:evil

*joins Tiana in cackling maniacally, while eyeing her wine*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I like the idea of letting Cobra assign me a prompt, rather than specifically requesting one. But if I happen to be feeling all writerly-like, and there's a prompt that grabs me that wasn't assigned to me? Hmm... Something to ponder. I mean, I'm all for making the guessing thread more difficult. :D :tongue

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm... I like the idea of letting Cobra assign me a prompt, rather than specifically requesting one.

That's what I'm gonna do. I like it when it's a surprise! It's basically a Christmas present!

But if I happen to be feeling all writerly-like, and there's a prompt that grabs me that wasn't assigned to me?

Secret story time. Nobody will even know if one failed, or how many one wrote until Cobra posts ALL the snippets.

nefarious.png

Hmm... Something to ponder. I mean, I'm all for making the guessing thread more difficult. :D :tongue

palpatine_evil_grin.gif

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I couldn't agree more! I like being surprised by my prompt. And so far, Cobra hasn't sent me a prompt that I've been unhappy with. It's always been a decent enough fit with my "I'll give" details. :)

That said... I do kind of like the idea of writing multiple stories. I mean, it's win-win, isn't it? Someone gets an extra story, and I increase my chances of being the last person guessed in the guessing thread (a secret life goal :tongue)!

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And so far, Cobra hasn't sent me a prompt that I've been unhappy with.

RIGHT? I've never gotten a prompt that I hated either - hell, I've never even gotten a prompt I disliked. At the most it made me push myself a little.

What is his black magic algorithm?

How does he do it, EVERY TIME?

I want to know.

That said... I do kind of like the idea of writing multiple stories. I mean, it's win-win, isn't it?

Yeeeeessssssss! I get a surprise, and so does somebody else! Such is my thought too!

Someone gets an extra story, and I increase my chances of being the last person guessed in the guessing thread (a secret life goal :tongue)!

I think that's everyone's secret life goal. >:-D

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Writing more than one story? Intriguing. There are a couple of prompts that are threatening to wake up abandoned and/or neglected characters, so maybe I should embrace that rather than trying to shove them back into their boxes.

SeaSerpent

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh this sounds like fun. Okay. Count me in.

Give: Pretty much any sort of SF/F/H. I'm always up for a challenge. Maybe no erotica though!

Recieve: Optimistic Cli-Fi (Climate fiction)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
last year someone made a database for sisyphus, so you could make sure your guess hadn't been guessed XD wonder if that'll happen this year

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is his black magic algorithm?

How does he do it, EVERY TIME?

I want to know.

Mostly a combination of spiked boiled custard and trial and error.

last year someone made a database for sisyphus, so you could make sure your guess hadn't been guessed XD wonder if that'll happen this year

And it was epic!

ETA: Cobalt and SeaSerpent, you are on the list, but can you please hit me with the Rule #12 rep so I can send you confirmation?

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score

I have to just stand back and watch the magic unfold. How anyone guesses anything correctly is beyond me.

SeaSerpent

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of questions.

I see a message by my name saying 'need rep with e-mail'. Not sure what this means - and yes I have read the rules so I guess I'm being thick!

Also I tried to look at last years guessing thread and you need a password. Again - am I missing something obvious?

Thankyou (from the terminally confused)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of questions.

I see a message by my name saying 'need rep with e-mail'. Not sure what this means - and yes I have read the rules so I guess I'm being thick!

Also I tried to look at last years guessing thread and you need a password. Again - am I missing something obvious?

Thankyou (from the terminally confused)

For the rep (reputation comment), click on the little star at the bottom left of the post. It'll bring up a text box where you can enter in data. Clicking send will shoot me that rep and I'll send you a confirmation e-mail.

The Guessing Thread resides in the Share Your Work wing of AW. Password is vista.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I've updated the main post with this info. We have a lot of new folks this year, so I'll do a better job of having that data easy to access.

Last edited:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, we are coming to the end of the first week of signup and have 45 participants. That's pretty darn impressive! Two more weeks to go and with some of you all making noise about writing multiple stories, this season's Guessing Thread is going to be a hoot!

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it's easy to be enthusiastic about writing extra stories, except every year I do that, and then remember, oh yeah, writing one story is already really hard for me, because there is so much overhead with idea generation and brainstorming that goes into it! XD

Which is why it's no longer quite so secret.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
The extra story I was going to write last year was a combination of about seven different people's prompts. It would have been awesome--if, you know. I'd written it.