The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

OH, THE SHAME!

Sorry about that. Fixed it on the sigh-up post. If I messed it up in my e-mail to you, apologies as well.

Okay, we're all caught up to Riv's prompt. Everyone should now have confirmation e-mails (thanks, gang), so if you don't have it and it's not in your spam folder, please let me know.

Also, I'd like to give a huge Thank You and round of applause to Esmae Tyler who pointed out to me that in the Rules, The Beta Option was listed as Rules #6, but when I reorganized everything, it was actually Rules #5.

Thank you for keeping us honest, Esmae!

No worries at all. Just thought you'd want to know... in the interests of being correct and all. (and cause the anal spelling freak in me couldn't take it *g*)

Wait... we were supposed to READ those? I just zipped down to the sigh up here bit.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the best things come from typos. Remember the 'dong garden' in the Cantina? That was a typo.
I don’t even go in there and I know about the dong garden.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been known to have some pretty interesting/funny typos. I blame everything on autocorrect.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Wow. Look how long the thread is already. I better get in here.

I'm signing up to give and receive.

Give: I write science fiction and fantasy. I try to write other things, but then the aliens land and things happen, so expect whatever prompt I'm given to go to a SFF place. I also don't do sex scenes.

Receive: There's a line that keeps running through my head, and never goes anywhere. I'd like to see what someone else can do with it: "I keep telling mama there's ghosts in the walls." Genre can be anything, including horror, but nothing that would qualify as grimdark.

Last year, the story I received was completely unlike anything I had imagined with my prompt, and it was AWESOME. I can't wait for this year.

Last edited:

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs around in circles with a wine glass in each hand* *makes sure to avoid Tiddles who stole her wine last year*

*cough*

Sign me up for BOTH

Receive: Same prompt as always, make of it what you will: A tale for a winter's night. Set in winter -- either eternally or just the season, your choice -- and something with a happy ending. I'm a sucker for a good guy-meets-girl and they live happily ever after but how they come to it is up to you. Save the world? The city? The toast from being burnt? Fantasy/sci-fi/steampunk/fairytale retellings ok. No graphic violence or smexy times please.

Bonus points for including:
-sparkles
-the colour red
-a violin
-setting a work email/message/parchment/whatever on fire (*cough*)
-"It wasn't forbidden...but no one really talked about it." (dialogue or scene setting, your choice)

Give: I write scifi/fantasy/steampunk/Victoriana horror/fairytale retellings. I'll do some heat if you like but I don't write full-on sex scenes. Or graphic violence. Or smexy manatees in tutus. Or emo vampires. I'M JUST COVERING MY BASES OK.

IT'S THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR!

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*eyes narrow on the skull*
*Winks begins to sharpen her scythe*

Oh, and for the person who reppied me saying they totally got that I want pink fluffy kittens and rat patooties, you'll pay for that. (So Riv, there's one ahead of you on my requires-sparkles-of-death-and-destruction list.)
Whew!:yessmiley

I have one of her alien probes! Add that to the sparkling bag of...um...stuff I'll leave on her doorstep, and I think we'll terrorize--er, I mean, cajole--her into bringing her mind-bending scifi into the mix.
:e2poke:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
*scuttles off to hunt down the ever-elusive PastyAlien*
*thinks she may need to enlist the help of the goat to subdue Pasty and force her to sign up encourage Pasty to join in the fun*

I have one of her alien probes! Add that to the sparkling bag of...um...stuff I'll leave on her doorstep, and I think we'll terrorize--er, I mean, cajole--her into bringing her mind-bending scifi into the mix.

HEY! Quit talking about me. My eyestalks are burning--and not from that, ahem, encounter I had in the sigma-Orionis cluster. :aliensmile:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? It's become my goal to write a Sisyphus story for every member - eventually. Not all in one year. But over the next 40 or 50 years? Hell yes!

So Cobra, I guess you're stuck with me for the rest of our natural lives. :tongue

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am so very excited already. I should be preparing for my oral exam but instead I'm reading all the posts!

I have other things to do as well...but same.

I've been so MIA this year with school, work, and....writing...that it is soooooooooooooo good to be back :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I have other things to do as well...but same.

I've been so MIA this year with school, work, and....writing...that it is soooooooooooooo good to be back :)

I feel much the same, but I always make time for the SSSFFSS because it matters. I was terrified my first year (and most years after), but it's a good kind of scared and eventually I might not be scared to finish my work and submit it somewhere. (The Abby Quinn story is a novel in progress now. Woot!)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? It's become my goal to write a Sisyphus story for every member - eventually. Not all in one year. But over the next 40 or 50 years? Hell yes!

So Cobra, I guess you're stuck with me for the rest of our natural lives. :tongue

There are far worse fates!

And welcome back, by the way ;)

This!

I feel much the same, but I always make time for the SSSFFSS because it matters. I was terrified my first year (and most years after), but it's a good kind of scared and eventually I might not be scared to finish my work and submit it somewhere. (The Abby Quinn story is a novel in progress now. Woot!)

For those who haven't had the chance to read the Abby Quinn stories, you're missing out. I was the recipient one year and it's some fantastic world-building and wordsmithing.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I do a better job guessing this year. last year I'd only been on the site a few months, and didn't know anyone's style yet.

this is the best goal

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Wow, only 5 days in and we're already at 43 participants! Quick! Everyone rope in somebody new! Then we can beat our record for participation!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I've invited someone this year. :)