Pacing issues / scenes

something

Registered
Reaction score
So I've received my first mini batch of rejections on my ms. I've decided to stop querying and take a break from working on my ms a while before I decide how to proceed next. In the meantime, I've ordered a whole bunch of YA novels released this year just to get a sense of their openings (and to read and enjoy too, of course.) Something I've noticed is that in my first chapter there's one main scene, and it feels like time is very focused, almost like it's a movie, happening in real time.

Whereas in the YA books I've recently bought, the author seems to use broad strokes to talk about large amounts of time within a sentence or two. Somehow, it feels grander, wider in scope. Mine, in contrast, if I'm being honest, feels too much like a screenplay (which I've been writing up until my YA ms.)

Does anyone have any tips on how to control pace? Or how to know how many scenes to put in a chapter? Currently, it feels like I'm putting 1 big scene per chapter, and something just feels bogged down by it, I don't know.

Maybe I should look closely at one or two YA books in the style I'm going for and emulate the pace / scene work?

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Emulating other works is a great idea. They can act as mentor texts.

A couple of other things you can consider: are you providing enough context for each scene? Remember that in film, we have all of the visuals and sometimes something we see, how the scenes transition, adds to the story. Those in-between moments can matter, but I'm not advocating filler.

Pacing is shown through word count. Clipped sentences are faster paced. Are you describing things the narrator wouldn't have time to notice? Consider perspective. Would he see the worm on the shovel or just the dirt? Include all senses.

Are you differentiating between the most important moments and less important moments. When I write a scene, I ask myself if it is as important as the number of words I'm giving it. Maybe I need to show that the main character has a job so the reader understands where the money is coming from. I could have a whole scene of them at work. I could just say they're in the uniform. If the scene at work doesn't add to the story (move plot and characterization), the information isn't worth the number of words it's been given. Having the mc in uniform for another more worthy scene will still show the reader what I need without wasting words on something I don't need.

I hope this helps.

something

Registered
Reaction score
Emulating other works is a great idea. They can act as mentor texts.

A couple of other things you can consider: are you providing enough context for each scene? Remember that in film, we have all of the visuals and sometimes something we see, how the scenes transition, adds to the story. Those in-between moments can matter, but I'm not advocating filler.

Pacing is shown through word count. Clipped sentences are faster paced. Are you describing things the narrator wouldn't have time to notice? Consider perspective. Would he see the worm on the shovel or just the dirt? Include all senses.

Are you differentiating between the most important moments and less important moments. When I write a scene, I ask myself if it is as important as the number of words I'm giving it. Maybe I need to show that the main character has a job so the reader understands where the money is coming from. I could have a whole scene of them at work. I could just say they're in the uniform. If the scene at work doesn't add to the story (move plot and characterization), the information isn't worth the number of words it's been given. Having the mc in uniform for another more worthy scene will still show the reader what I need without wasting words on something I don't need.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for this, helps a lot.

detroitgirl

way out west
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbywolfinsohn.com
howdy,

i also wrote screenplays before tackling a YA novel and found, at first, a lot of these same challenges / questions.

but -- you can put your screenwriter brain to good use! you don't have to do a grand scope/saga -- hell, you can write a whole book that takes place in a single day, if you want!

and you can absolutely stick to one scene per chapter too, like a script, if that's what you're comfortable with/used to. i actually find this keeps the pace moving at a good clip.

you also don't have to jump around in time or cram entire weeks/months/years into a chapter, if that's not who you are. (it's not me) even if you have lots of examples of YA books that do that, don't feel limited by them. i think, for me, as long as the VOICE is YA, the pacing/ structure can be inspired by any form of literature.

now that i think about it....looking at NON-YA books for inspiration was most helpful. got me out of my head and back into the story! anything is possible !! good luck!:)

something

Registered
Reaction score
howdy,

i also wrote screenplays before tackling a YA novel and found, at first, a lot of these same challenges / questions.

but -- you can put your screenwriter brain to good use! you don't have to do a grand scope/saga -- hell, you can write a whole book that takes place in a single day, if you want!

and you can absolutely stick to one scene per chapter too, like a script, if that's what you're comfortable with/used to. i actually find this keeps the pace moving at a good clip.

you also don't have to jump around in time or cram entire weeks/months/years into a chapter, if that's not who you are. (it's not me) even if you have lots of examples of YA books that do that, don't feel limited by them. i think, for me, as long as the VOICE is YA, the pacing/ structure can be inspired by any form of literature.

now that i think about it....looking at NON-YA books for inspiration was most helpful. got me out of my head and back into the story! anything is possible !! good luck!:)

Thanks for the reply, detroitgirl, very helpful :)