• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Palaeontology: Feathered dinosaurs were even fluffier than we thought

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
University of Bristol
Birds are the direct descendants of a group of feathered, carnivorous dinosaurs that, along with true birds, are referred to as paravians – examples of which include the infamous Velociraptor.

Researchers examined, at high resolution, an exceptionally-preserved fossil of the crow-sized paravian dinosaur Anchiornis – comparing its fossilised feathers to those of other dinosaurs and extinct birds.

The feathers around the body of Anchiornis, known as contour feathers, revealed a newly-described, extinct, primitive feather form consisting of a short quill with long, independent, flexible barbs erupting from the quill at low angles to form two vanes and a forked feather shape.

The observations were made possible by decay processes that separated some of these feathers from the body prior to burial and fossilisation, making their structure easier to interpret.

Such feathers would have given Anchiornis a fluffy appearance relative to the streamlined bodies of modern flying birds, whose feathers have tightly-zipped vanes forming continuous surfaces. Anchiornis’s unzipped feathers might have affected the animal’s ability to control its temperature and repel water, possibly being less effective than the vanes of most modern feathers. This shaggy plumage would also have increased drag when Anchiornis glided.
I think they meant to say 'even more HUGGABLE'. Look at that little fluff monster. Jurassic World would have been a good movie, had it featured packs of deadly but adorable shagpile carpet pigeons.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
University of Bristol

I think they meant to say 'even more HUGGABLE'. Look at that little fluff monster. Jurassic World would have been a good movie, had it featured packs of deadly but adorable shagpile carpet pigeons.

I guess we’ll need to find even better-preserved specimens to see if their monocles were gold- or silver-rimmed? :D

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*listens to the distant noise of several cursing paleo-artists as they shred their -otherwise scientifically accurate- drawings of Anchiornis yet again*

Well, at least Jurassic Park III, despite all the other problems it had, had the tiniest bit of feathery ruff on their velociraptors. But that was as far as they were willing to go back then. Jurassic World really had no excuse. Continuity, my (non-monocled) eye!

Mind the fluff, though, I expect it's merely to lull us mammals into a false sense of security...

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess they resembled certain kinds of chickens?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Bears look huggable but I wouldn't want to hug one. Ditto fluffy, feathery velociraptors...

Would make one hell of a roast dinner though...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
University of Bristol

They were so (squeals) FUZZY!

I read something a while back about Archeopteryx having feather "pantaloons" too.