• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using company names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen threads similar but still am unsure so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask,

What's the rule on using company names in stories? I know you can use brand names as long as it's not in a negative light, like "I drink a Pepsi everyday"

Would I be able to have a character work at Disney and they worked on a Mickey Mouse show? Or would I need to create a fictionalized version?

Thanks!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Writers use trademarked product/company names all the time, and you'll have no trouble finding those. As long as you don't disparage the name in some way, you're fine. You can mention Mickey Mouse. What you can't do is write a story using Mickey Mouse as a character.

caw

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
What's the rule on using company names in stories?
Don't get sued.

Would I be able to have a character work at Disney and they worked on a Mickey Mouse show?
What did Disney said about this?

The real question you need to ask yourself is: why do you NEED to use brands. Isn't just grabbing a cheeseburger on the way home sufficient or do you really have to say it's a Big Mac? Can your Heroine meet at the corner café or does it absolutely have to be a Starbucks?

-cb

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I made a comment in DSOJ that was along the line of : the only things in danger around a pot-head are Hostess Twinkies and Cupcakes. I never worried about it - and if you've been there, you know the truth of it.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Automobiles, aircraft and firearms are examples of items where you absolutely must use brands.

I think this only applies if your MC (POV) knows the difference between a Ford or a Chevy, a Cessna or a Beechcraft, or a Ruger and a S&W. If you're writing from behind the eyes of a character, you can only write what they know - if you want something more you'll have to (my opinion) go omni.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Copyright , Trademarks, Brand names, are different things , but all are an attempt to identify ownership. To mention them in a book is not breaching any rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.