December Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone, it's DONE. It took me 5 hours, an hour for lunch, a sore shoulder, a pema-indent in my index finger, and it's a pretty sloppy mess, but I was able to write those coveted words, "THE END" tonight.
:e2cheer: Congrats, Laurine!:e2cheer:

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 5 - 187 words, all of which came about as easily as trying to squeeze marmalade out of a chunk of granite. C'mon brain, it's too early in the month to turn into sludge.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mulling over whether to rewrite the first chapter. Dangerous territory, I know, and there is a lot I can't just chuck away.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Pterofan...I might have to try this long-hand thing...I procrastinate with games AND social media. I think 500+ words is a nice session, BTW.

Esmae...It definitely counts...especially when you are also battling the plague! Feel better!

heykatydid...Nice to hear you are getting back on track. Must be exciting to plan the giveaway promo! Thanks about my back. I am feeling a little better again today, but this time I'm not pushing myself like I did a couple of days ago, making it worse.

DanielSTJ...Every time I check in, you are just rocking it. Keep it up!

Layla...3/3 is a good day. It must have been great catching up after so long.

peartree...Glad to hear that the new novel is starting off so well, and the characters are falling into place. Hope that trend continues for you, straight through until The End.

Sage...Sounds like you had a great day yesterday. Nice work!

thereeness...That's awesome news! A big congrats to you!

Keithy...I hope you sort out all your plot issues quickly. If you do re-write the first chapter, just keep a back-up of the original, just in case!

Other than the 400 words I wrote on the 1st, I haven't touched my WIP this month, and I'm really not feeling it tonight either. I am off from work tomorrow though, so I plan to try and get a good night's rest and look at it with fresh eyes.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keep swimming, Keithy!
very nice wrk, peartree -congrats
Sage - you're a boss!
W00000t Ree - "THE END"
Esmae - I really feel your pain (but btw - 187 is still pretty good)
DL - take care of your self - tlc time is tlc time :)

Day 5: 41 words (yes 41...)
Met various responsibiliteeez; went back to the beginning of the javascript training - I'm actually going to have to pay attention & work at this.

3/3 - feeling tired, but good.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Wrote a new blurb for the first novel of my trilogy, that's all I've done so far today. But I'm quite proud of it and I'm BLOWN AWAY by all the support in the Share Your Work forum!! When I'm finally ready to put the Playhouse stuff on there I just know I'm going to get the best feedback.

Just wow, y'all.

(Edit - link to the thread is in my signature if you're interested.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Dec 5:

- 668-word short for the Countdown to 2018 Flash Fiction Challenge
- Finished reading book #3 (13 to go)
- Using a coworker as a sounding board for aPB3, but not coming up with solutions to my current problem with it

Cannelle

Registered
Reaction score
Does writing notes for a story count? I was a little lost when it came to writing last night, so I opened a new document and started writing notes for the story I'm starting with, trying to get to know my characters and their motivations a little more. I have plenty more to flesh out, too, so I may just stick with writing notes for a bit in order to flesh out my characters a little more and figure out where this story is going. I did come up with some good stuff, though, so I'm happy about that.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I've started a new version of chapter 1, changing the POV and showing her character first before plunging into "things exploding".

Cannelle - of course it does. Even thinking about your story is writing.

Keep on swimming! (Dory is writing now)

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, let's see...

[X] Finish Draft 3
[X] Apply for jobs
3) Book a flight to France for next year.
4) Submit manuscript to Angry Robot.
I'm combing through my manuscript for typos and things like, so technically, I'm working on Draft 4. This should be quick and easy.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 6 - A little over 600 words. Spent a while pondering the Epic Final Battle scene and I'm a little worried about the current shape of it, but I suppose I'll just write around it until I think of a better idea.

Keithy - 1st chapters are so, so important! It's not dangerous territory, it's mapping a brave new path to your world!
D.L. - I hope you're feeling better. I know you're probably beginning to feel your deadline - I know I am. It's so hard to work through some of the obstacles life heaves up though. But the month is young; a few good days of writing can make up for a few bad ones!
Layla - 41 words! The page did not win! Neither did any of those other things. That makes it a productive day, even if it does exhaust you.
RWrites - Today is really all that matters. Even if you don't catch up, this is definitely the place to be to try and make sure you don't fall further behind (or to commiserate when you do...)
Peartree - This is a great community. The resources available are absolutely fantastic, and even if they can't help the old things, they sure can help the new ones.
Sage - Hurry for writing! Boo for problems! Hopefully you can get the issue, whatever it is, untangled satisfactorily. (See my problem above. :p I don't know how many more circles I can write around mine.)
Cannelle - It totally counts, after a fashion. See above, re: writing in circles...
Raindrop - The typo pass! You're getting close to being done! Ooooooh.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 4 - 101 words.

Day 5 - 198 words

Not doing so well with the 1000 words a day goal. But I am writing every day, even if it ends up being during commercials while I'm watching TV. Like last night. This is the same thing that got me during NaNoWriMo. I need to set a schedule or something.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote about 200 words yesterday.

Nothing edited.

I'll be back on the game-plan today!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello RW, hello cannelle :hi:
congrats peartree :)
nice work Sage
Keithy, the other shore will be there soon!
keep on keeping on Raindrop
Esmae - 600+ words - you're rich! ;)
ptero - you're writing! you're doing great!
200 words is still pretty good, Daniel :)

Layla vs the blank page - ;) Day 6: 73 digital words.

met two more responsibilities.
(Re)did the first unit of the javascript training
3/3
bedtime

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 6:

-I maybe did one chapter in PB&J
- Wrote 533-word short story for the Countdown

I have chorus tonight, so probably no more

Cannelle

Registered
Reaction score
Scrapped the beginning I had for the current WIP but wrote 526 words of a new beginning that I think will be much stronger, plus I got down a bunch more notes. Starting to kind of like these people, despite their flaws and my female MC's stubborn misplaced loyalty.

I probably won't get to write tomorrow, sadly. Family stuff, including my son's choir concert that won't get out until after 10:30 pm, but I'll make up for it in the next day or two. I'll definitely be working out plot stuff in my head all day long.

Write on, everyone! We're doing awesome! :PartySmil

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
276 words written today.

I was struggling this evening. I have SO MUCH due for college. I'm wading through the muck, ladies and gentlemen.

I will be back on track soon. The semester is nearly done.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 528 words on Playhouse. Had a really bad day re: real life, so it was nice to escape for a bit. Here's to a better tomorrow...

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Hey Guys...thanks again for all the well wishes. Still some twinges and pangs, so I'm being careful how I move and stuff, but I'm *much* better than I was, so I'll take it. But...with that said...I still didn't write yesterday. And today will be catch up time for work and household stuff, so it doesn't look promising. Tomorrow I hope to be back on track. You are right, Esmae....I am *so* feeling the deadline now!! The pressure is on!

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 7 - About 300 words. Ended up finishing my scene in conversational shorthand (they talk about this, this is hinted at, stuff, etc) which seems kind of lazy, but I have this awful feeling I'm going to need to do an entire pass through the draft just to properly write my antagonist. Also spent a while weighing relative genre blindness and whether I'm asking for too much suspension of disbelief - or maybe extension of it, since one character doesn't believe there are supernatural shenanigans afoot and one character is pretending they aren't.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 4-7
I phased out again. There's just a lot going on and this thread keeps slipping away from me. I'd love to be here interacting with everyone but too many things are bringing me out of focus. I probably need to reduce my commitments again, but with holidays coming up, I'm guessing January is when I can get back to work properly. I'm not doing badly. I'm working on my writing and I feel okay. There's just too many distractions.

I'm glad to see this place alive and kicking without me, though. Keep it up.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
485 words today - couldn't quite make it 500, too much else to do.

I think this version of the first chapter will be much better. Characters first.

Layla - sometimes I feel like I learned to swim across a swimming pool years ago and now decided to swim the Atlantic... glub glub waves and cries for help...

Status
Not open for further replies.