A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: December Challenge - Write Every Day

practical experience, FTW Raindrop's Avatar
    Well done guys, and Katie, I hope you feel better soon!

I just finished Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle. What an amazing book!
    If I could put all my typos together, I'd have enough material for a trilogy.

Get back to writing. NOW. Pterofan's Avatar
    Day 14 - 66 words (gahhh)

Day 15 - not sure. It was longhand, maybe 100-200. I'll know once I make time to type stuff up.

Whittling Away My Writer's Block D.L. Shepherd's Avatar
    So I had the whole day free, it's nearly 6:00 PM, and I have gotten everything else around my house done *except* writing. Ugh. Going to make myself at least write a sentence now, but I have to start dinner in about an hour and a half. Hope I have a better update tomorrow.

What to my wondering eyes... AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Day 16

- Finished yesterday's Countdown story, which was 420 words total
    - Wrote a 1165-word short for Countdown
    - Got 80% through the book I'm reading. Should be going faster, but it's just a busy week
    Come join us in the Countdown to 2018 Flash Fiction Challenge. New prompt every day. (password: flashed)
    My thread is here!

"I'm a failure," Jack cried, covering his face with his hands. "Father Frost will disown me. I'll be replaced by my sister, Jill. Snow will be pink this year!"

I'm completely stuck at the moment!

63 is a respectable # Sage
    Nice work AJ (I'm an abrevioator…)
    DL - congrats of the 400! (I got 50 the first time I took it. I was like - Ok, I have to actually pay attention & do the excercises…)
    OH - & Magnus popped in like the 1st week or so to say he had lots of holiday stuff to do -
    Not bad for a saturday's work at all, reeness
    Raindrop - I love that book.
    ptero - you're winning! (vs the blank page - 66 words is victory!)
    O hai DL - eh - sometimes you just gotta do the other stuff first…
    & Nice work, Sage
    AArrffhhhh!!! Keithy - no way! (I hate being stuck) -- keep swimming! keep swimming!!!

Day 16 - 11 handwritten lines! Started part 2 of the online training,
    & took care of some items on the responsibility/self-care list

3/3

Good to see everyone
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Today:

856 words written.
    500 words edited.
    Vivere militare est.

partial to Tigers in shorts ajaye's Avatar
    One 260 word story today.

Raindrop: Did you feel disappointed that it was over? Sometimes when I finish reading a really good book, I feel lost.

Pteronfan: Some work is better than none. Keep it up.

Sage: Wow! You're really making awesome progress all around.

Keithy: Hope you work past it and get unstuck soon. I sure understand that feeling. Good luck!

Lalya: 3/3 again. Woot! (Thanks for the update re: Magnus too.)

Magnus: If you pop in, have a nice holiday!!

DanielSTJ and ajaye: Nice work! Keep on tapping those keys!

Okay, so I managed 450 words somehow, even with all that procrastination. However, I am *so* close to finishing, had I not of procrastinated, I would have made a huge dent in it. Now it's the week before Christmas and we all know how holidays suck up your time...

practical experience, FTW Raindrop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.L. Shepherd View Post
    Raindrop: Did you feel disappointed that it was over? Sometimes when I finish reading a really good book, I feel lost.
    I often do, but not this time. And now I'm trying to think of why. Hmm. I took a gazillion of notes, which tends to help with the "oh no, it's over" feeling -- but usually not enough to supress it.

Bits under spoiler because, well, spoilers:

Ha! Philip K. Dick has a fabulous understanding of human psyche (I wish I was half as good!), but I didn't feel as invested in the characters as in some other novels. I had feelings for them. I grew stronger along with Tagomi, feared for Juliana, was astonished when Childan finally grew a pair, etc. The characters' arcs were great, especially as they had a common theme -- basically, grow a backbone and make a decision. I was intrigued by them and wanted to know how they would evolve, but at no point did I feel that I'd be really upset if one of them died. It was like the characters were held at arm-length, in a way -- and it worked.

Possibly because of the multiple levels in the book. There's a book inside the book, and towards the end, Juliana hints that the "meta-book" is the true story: the Nazis and the Japanese didn't win the war. Basically reminding the reader that she's just a character in a book; that her world is fake, and that she's fully aware of it. This is a really intriguing aspect of this novel. Absolutely loved it.

I think I don't feel lost because although the human aspect of it was top-notch, the book was more about the concept (not the war, actually; I think it was more about willpower, leaving your decisions to chance, or how the same information/oracle could be interpreted in many different ways -- different readings of the world; possibly another reader would come with a wildly different interpretation) than about the characters.

Gah! Sorry, I'm rambling. I loved loved loved this novel.
    If I could put all my typos together, I'd have enough material for a trilogy.

Day 16 - Gave myself the day off.
    Day 17 - 1,354 words. One less scene to write before the end of the year. Of course I have 15 more to write and 14 days left so I'm probably going to have to double up one day in there somewhere, but hey. If I hadn't given myself the day off yesterday it would have been 1:1 .... oh well.

Keep at it, guys! The holidays do suck for writing for a lot of us because of the whale-sized distractions, but don't lose hope or focus. January'll be here before we know it.

partial to Tigers in shorts ajaye's Avatar
    I love the encouragement and support in this thread. You guys are awesome.

OK, not quite stuck now, but it's coming in fragments.

Business Lumberjack
    thereeness - That's excellent progress. Keep it up!
    D.L. - Almost finished with draft one! Fantastic! I hope you can chip away at it and finish ASAP.
    ajaye - The holidays are a rough time to find moments to yourself sometimes. Hope you can get some more words down this week!
    Sage - Good luck with the countdown!
    Layla - Congrats on your words!That's a battle you won, even if it seems small.
    Esmae - I hope you had some time to think of your story and get some new ideas mulled over for it. Keep it going!
    Keithy - Hopefully your stuck issues will work themselves out soon.
    Raindrop - Hopefully you could pull some cool things out of the novel.
    Daniel - excellent work!!
    Ptero - A few words are better than no words!

Chapter two is edited and I finally felt confident enough to go back and re-write the prologue, which desperately needed the do-over. The prologue word count was 497 (new words), so that's almost exactly my goal number. Moving on to chapter three and hopefully will pick up WIP #2 for some more words as well. It's getting a bit too cold to be without gloves on the train now, and that's rough for my writing. Plus we were out of town all weekend and I didn't get any writing done. Not much longer in December, plus the holidays are right around the corner. (Happy Hanukkah to anyone celebrating now!)
    Last edited by heykatydid; Yesterday at 04:41 AM. Reason: missed some people in my reply
    Author website & blog
    Roanoke (2008) | The Life Siphon (2017)
    Ibuki (F/F fantasy novella) [coming from NineStar Press in Feb. 2018!]
    George (Take III), NaNo 2017: [27,493 words]

Daniel - you work hard!
    AJ - nice work
    DL - congrats on the 450 - you'll be done soon. I'll virtually get you some virtual bubble gum
    Yeah, Raindrop - I can't say enough about that mind-blowing book
    Esmae - I'm looking forward to the day that I can take a day off an then write 1000+ the next. Congrats on those words!
    Keithy - I feel you on those fragments - but at least it's coming!
    Oh wow - Katy - the train is that cold? But you're still writing & editing - congrats!

Day 17: I wrote(!) 4 handwritten lines. Did the errands, chores what have you. I'm feeling good that I'm managing to still keep a place for writing, with everything that must get done these days. Finished video 1 of group 2, and started video 2 (arrays!).
    3/3 - I'm tired - will be bed time soon...
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

What to my wondering eyes... AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Day 17

- "Wrote" a 1066-word short for the Countdown. It was a lot of copy and paste, but that was the concept, actually
    - Finished reading book #8 and started #9
    Come join us in the Countdown to 2018 Flash Fiction Challenge. New prompt every day. (password: flashed)
    My thread is here!

"I'm a failure," Jack cried, covering his face with his hands. "Father Frost will disown me. I'll be replaced by my sister, Jill. Snow will be pink this year!"

Raindrop...Wow, that novel *does* sound intriguing. It's not something I would normally pick up, but your notes make it sound like something I should!

Esmae...Nice that you were able to take a day off, but then jump right back in again the next day. I feel I'm going to have to double or triple up this week as well. We'll get there though, right?

Keithy...A bunch of fragments eventually lead up to something when put together. Good luck!

heykatydid...Sounds like you are moving along nicely, despite all the challenges and distractions. Sorry you won't be able to work on the train much. That's a bit of a bummer.

Layla...Very cool. Glad to see you are still keeping up all that juggling!

Sage...Wow! Just wow. Keep it up!

I managed another 450 words yesterday. Almost crossed 50K. Getting there, but time is running out!

Get back to writing. NOW. Pterofan's Avatar
    Day 15 - 285

Day 16 - 214

Day 17 - 534

Making progress on that troublesome scene. After that, it'll mostly be typing up longhand stuff from the notebook.

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Wrote, between yesterday and today, 1700 words for a paper.

Whoo. I'll write more tonight, but that's a good start.
    Vivere militare est.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456