December Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! This is a thread open for anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit.

The basis for the idea is that repeating something daily, even in small amounts, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time, to the point where it will come naturally to you.

So introduce yourself, and if you want to, let us know what your goals are for October. I suggest trying to post every day, but it's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate.

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. Habits build over time, so look at your current writing habit and set a goal to increase it a little bit, in word count, time, and/or frequency. (For example, I did a lot better with a small daily goal than with a big, looming, monthly one).

• Write every day – even if it's just a few sentences. It reinforces the habit.

• Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else. For example, some people find it works best with a set time. Others – like me – prefer a conditional habit.

• Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.

• Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips and tricks!

Good luck, and see you on the 1st of December!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, see you on the 1st of December but - Ima announce my goals again just to get it in early

1) Write *something* - for me that means adding words to a WIP
2) Take one action to increase my prosperity & make my financial situation more sane
3) Take one action of responsibility/self-care

As I mentioned before (sorry for the broken record here) in the past if I had to deal with any life stresses writing just went out the window. Hence the '3' items - for me it means - write, and deal with life.

& thanks to Magnus for starting this and keeping it going! :snoopy:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
For December, I'll keep my goals simple to get back on track. Not that I stopped writing in November, but it the routine did slip. So.

Every day, I will

• Work on my writing (add words, revise, edit, plan, study writing literature, etc.)
  • Work on one of three specific projects

That's it. I know with holidays coming up (and my recent slump), I can't set the goals too high. But I do want a daily one to keep me going and set me up for a more demanding January. I won't stop!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I want to write every day, working toward finishing a draft that I worked on for NaNo. Totally doable.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back! I sort of dropped off the proverbial map in October but that whole month sprouted hair and became sentient and something something Halloween... Then of course was NaNovember, and although I didn't manage to write every day I squeaked by with a win two days early. So nice to see familiar people still plugging along, and so much progress being made! Even the slow kind.

I'm paring down to two goals this month:

1 - Write every day, which is the whole point of the thread (thanks Magnus!)
2 - Finish the draft by December 31st. Ignoring the fact that my third act is kind of a hot mess, I really ought to be done by the end of the month with way more than enough material to 'fix' in 2018.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will meet you at the bivouac point-- Alpha, Beta, and Charlie.

Hustle folks! The chopper is soon to be arriving!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'm in. I proved to myself during NaNo that I can write every day. Now I'm going to aim for 1000 words (or better) every day. Which was my goal for NaNo, but that didn't quite work out. (I finished at 10,000 words. Yeah well ...)

Cannelle

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm here and I'm in. My regular goal is 500 words every day, and I'll be keeping that as my goal through December (there may be a holiday exception in there, what with travel and visiting family and such, but I'll do my darndest to get my words in early those days. Not always easy with a three year old, however). Looking forward to this!

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
After November's crippling setbacks (in the last two days I found out that I didn't get the job I'd spent the whole month in the interview process for), I feel into a bad mental place at the end of the month and miserably failed NaNo. But it's December 1 here, so I'm going to scale back my goals knowing that this depression will likely follow me this month, too. Easier to manage is better this month.

Goal #1 - Try to write 500 words each day. This goal worked well for me in Oct. and is within my reach.
Goal #2 - Finish at least two chapters of revisions each week for book 2.

Today I wrote just under 500 words during my morning commute, which is the first I've written in weeks, so I'm off to a good start! Good to see everyone. :)

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I'm going to use this as motivation to develop a side project I have going on in addition to my main series. Editing my 2nd book can be fun, but I feel like when that's all I'm doing, my wheels aren't turning in the same way, you know?

Goal: Write at least 1 page a day. No more, no less. This page can even be part of a general plot description if not part of the manuscript.

peartree

Registered
Reaction score
My goals this month:
- write every day
- focus on my NaNo novel
- survive the holidays

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK I've done with the major slash-and-burn and then restructure of my MS... I think. Now I need to concentrate on the less major problems, of which there are not a few. First thing to do is renumber the chapters.
Second thing to do is have a break from it till next week.
With some luck I will have most or all the less major problems resolved by the end of this month. But I'm not working Christmas day... no way!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I'm in, again. Since Magnus started posting these threads back in August, they've been helping me increase my wordcount for my WIP, which I started in mid-July.

In August I added 7,843 words.
September +10,128
October +11,331
November +12,648

Notice an increase? Thanks so much Magnus...I needed that kick in the rear.

My WIP is sitting at 46,661 right now. My goal for December is to finish this first draft. I'm not far off, as I write very lean drafts. I think by where I am in the story, it will be ending right around 60K.

I'm glad to see so many old faces joining again...and to meet some new hopefuls! Let's end this year on a high note!

Last edited:

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, let's see...

1) Finish Draft 3
2) Apply for jobs
3) Book a flight to France for next year.
4) Submit manuscript to Angry Robot.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 1 - 1,000ish words (I say ish because it was slightly over that, but I wasn't home and don't remember the exact number.)

It's a lot relative to how much I was writing in September, not quite as much as I was hitting in November. NaNo's good for something!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Early & quick check in

Day 1: 20 lines (handwriting)
- lots of self-care/responsibility errands (and phone calls...)
- did some work on my website & online training (getting a code editor up & running w/ projects)

3/3

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I missed my target of doing nothing today - I renumbered the chapters and found I had 38, which is one less than I thought. Tomorrow we are going to a kid's party, which will help me avoid doing any work on the MS.

It is actually quite hard to avoid the subject altogether - I was talking about it with the wife while driving.

Keep on swimming!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I almost did not write anything again yesterday, but the thought of coming back here and saying I wrote nothing, again, bothered me. So...I opened my file and cranked out 400 words. Hoping to get back on track and finish this puppy!

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I am totally in. After missing my deadline in November, I'm like a mad engine ready to tackle my goals this month, which are:

1. Finish my longhand WIP.
2. Start transcribing longhand WIP (with edits.)
3. Thought dump next project (not sure if this is gonna be the sequel to current WIP or something new...we'll see.)
4. Post a blog post every Tuesday.

I'm ambitious as hell and I'm gonna do all the things XD Or so I hope. *Prays that no more sinus infections hit me this year.*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
- Contribute daily to the 2018 Flash Fiction Countdown
- Read 16 books to hit my 100 for the year
- Read through PB&J in its entirety
- Plot aPB3 in my head

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 1

- Almost forgot about the Countdown, but saw everyone else's threads and I jumped in
- Read The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus in its entirety. 15 books to go

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2 - 683 words. Kind of in the downhill run toward The End finally, so hopefully the momentum maintains itself now that I can see the finish line.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I haven't written regularly in years (or been active on AW in years) but I think I want to start up again and need some writerly camaraderie to keep me motivated/accountable. I swear, even if I write a few sentences a day it'll be an massive improvement over what I've (not) been doing. I just want to get back into "I want to be a writer" mindset I used to have and hopefully this thread will help :) I will try to report back later today having written something at long last! *fingers crossed*

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Keithy, reeness, Welcome Sage!
DL - 400 words w00t! off to a nice start
Esmae - nice work!
Welcome choco - any words are good words (see my check-in, in case you doubt ;) )

Day 2: 7 handwritten lines
some online training, a housemate phone interview, & met w/ my friend to borrow his iPad for a skype interview on Monday.
3/3
hanging in there, keeping at it…

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2

- 1130-word story in the Countdown
- Finished reading book #2. I doubt the rest with go this quickly, but it's a good start
- Read through 5 chapters of PB&J with light editing for continuity

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.