What is my genre?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I am posting in the Sci-Fi - Fantasy genre because I think this is the best fit for my writing. But it might not be. In the past I have described my writing as cli-fi (climate fiction) but it really is climate fantasy, which I think doesn't exist as a genre. And, 'climate fantasy' is counterintuitive to the message - fantasy suggests escape and happiness, ... fantasy. Perhaps I am YA fantasy. I do not know.

Here is what I am writing:

I have built a world (fantasy?) that is very Earth-like. The people are essentially human, the challenges are essentially those of Earth.

The way in which these fictional people differ, is two-fold. (1) they have genetic variants that access parts of the physical world that humans do not. Example: Bats can hear sonar. This is a thing. Humans don't. Bats on Earth use sonar to navigate. So, it's possible, for a mammal, even though humans don't do it.

People on my world have the same sort of ability. This is not magic, it is just.... possible genetic variation. Is this speculative fiction?

And (2) because my 'thing' in real life is climate change. The 'villain' in my story is manifestations and representations of the energy industry. This is a rich area to dig around in, because everything on our planet, Earth ... everything ... needs energy. Paradoxically, fossil fuel consumption is the biggest threat to our climate that we've seen in 800000 years or more. Grist, baby.

So - two differences to Earth, (oh and there are a few other 'window-dressing' differences ... like there is no moon). But, no magic (not really, but sort of, I guess, but the 'magic' is light, it is essentially genetic.)

I guess I am writing fantasy?

The heroes are young adults. Does this make it a YA novel?

Is this fantasy? (no magic, but some weird stuff compared to humans, but not compared to other animals.) Is it cli - fi? (it is not apocalyptic, but the theme is environmental degradation)? Is it speculative fiction? Is it sci-fi, or is that reserved for harder science stuff?

When I pitch or otherwise talk about my novel, how do I frame it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Thematically, I'd say you're more in sci-fi territory, though maybe a rather soft Sci-Fi if you think it feels fantasy-ish. The things you describe are at least theoretically possible in some distant future with genetic engineering, though the future reality may have little or nothing in common when it comes to how it got to that point. Fantasy, by comparison, usually deals with the impossible: magic, mythical creatures, etc.

You can have sci-fi flavored fantasy (Star Wars, for example is often called 'science fantasy' because the Force is basically magic and the Jedi are basically wizards) and fantasy-flavored sci-fi (the Dragonriders of Pern series; the 'dragons' were geneticaly engineered into existance and the original settlers of Pern were space colonists).

And when all else fails, see Clarke's Third Law. :points down at her sig:

I do want to address one thing in particular that you said though. This:

And, 'climate fantasy' is counterintuitive to the message - fantasy suggests escape and happiness, ... fantasy.

--is simply not accurate, though I get what you were thinking in terms of the name. There is a lot of very dark fantasy. (You might have heard of Game of Thrones, for example. It's not a happy tale.)

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If it were me, I'd have different pitches ready for different situations and genres. The boundaries of these "genres" are extremely fluid and meaningless, and become even more so as time passes. Go where you get paid, and be ready to go anywhere that accepts the work. You could find yourself at a hard literary adult press, or a commercial ya house, or an indie horror place based on your description alone. It's impossible to say without the work, itself, beyond the outline. And, even then, it's mostly impossible to say who will be the editor that jumps.

Make a couple different takes for different editorial audiences and knock on every door.

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
And, 'climate fantasy' is counterintuitive to the message - fantasy suggests escape and happiness, ... fantasy.

There's plenty of fantasy to which the idea of escapism to happiness doesn't really apply. For example, the entire grimdark sub-genre. There is a great deal of very dark fantasy. This is something of an aside though.

I guess I am writing fantasy?

It sounds more like science fiction to me. You've offered plausible, scientific explanations for the character's abilities. If your primary conflict has a similar plausible explanation, I would say this fits best into SF. Speculative fiction also works.

The question might be: is the conflict based on a scientific principle such as anthropogenic climate forcing? Or is this more along the lines of a fable or allegory where the threat is magical or fanciful in nature? If the former, science fiction. If the latter, fantasy or speculative fiction.

The heroes are young adults. Does this make it a YA novel?

Possibly, but not necessarily. How old are your POV characters? Are the themes of your story likely to appeal to YA readers?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, there is a lot of good feedback here. It sounds like I am more in the science fiction realm or speculative fiction. OK, that's good.

The POV characters in the first novel are 17 and 23, but I'd like to follow them as they age, in other stories, still remaining in their POV. Book two they might be 23 and 29. Book three might be a few years after that. I don't know how this translates in terms of whether it is YA or not (the writing will be the same level, just the ages advancing.) I don't think I ever worried about how old characters were when I read books as a teenager. I actually don't think it is YA; I am just confused because was told that if the heroes/POV characters are late teens, then it is YA.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, especially about the lines being blurry and having a few pitches to work with. Thank you!!

Last edited: