• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Sourcebooks, Inc.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad, JaneD. Did you nudge them? I have thought about nudging, but part of me thinks the no reply to my R&R = we're not interested. I don't want to be seen as a pain.

They seemed so interested in the manuscript when they asked for the R&R, too. Frustrated not to know.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
Thanks Mustafa. Once they confirmed reception of my MS I didn't nudge. The first editor who requested that I resend said that she would make sure it got through the first phase of reviewing before the end of the year. I wasn't expecting a reply, or even hoping for a reply any sooner than I got it, so I didn't nudge.
The fact that a second editor/intern asked me to resend made me think they were combing through their system to pick out any MSS that might have fallen by the wayside. I was pleased that they hadn't just ignored the hole that my MS had left.
They did read the whole story which I thought was pretty kind of them, but it obviously isn't the kind of thing they're looking for. I don't know what to advise you. They took two months to read and assess mine, but they were maybe quick because they didn't like it. If I'd been asked to R&R I think I'd be inclined to nudge after a couple of months. Just to make sure they received it. If they like what they're reading I don't suppose they'll mind.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I'm new, but I'll get the hang of it!

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
No worries. :) You'll get the hang of it in no time.

ETA: And do take a look at the sticky. Every grayed-out name there is a dead agency or publisher, many of them failing from a lack of experience or money and taking their authors' books with them. It's a good reminder to do what you're doing and verify credentials before sending your manuscript into possible limbo.

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Proposal submitted 12/27
Rejection 2/27

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I really wanted to submit to them. But they're only accepting for romance, which would have been fine except they want the ms to be at least 90,000 words. Mine is just 67,000. :-(

Gistalia

Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a manuscript in September last year after Deb Werksman spoke at RWA in Melbourne and said send MSs. I nudged the general email earlier this year to the submissions email where I sent my MS and then Deb direct and didn't hear anything back at all. After 15 years writing and subbing, I find this annoying and disrespectful. Now I'm left with no idea whether they even received my submission and feeling ignored and peeved. Fine if they don't like the submission, but to hear nothing at all. Makes me sad. So I'm going to go with the notion that they aren't interested.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Gistalia, this happens a lot in our business. We're left hanging so many times that we begin to get depressed, wondering if we've been totally ignored or our book was drop-kicked out the window. Truth of the matter is, these publishers are oft times inundated with thousands of MSs, and it takes them forever to wade through them. Sourcebooks is popular, and this could well be the reason for their silence.

Gistalia

Registered
Reaction score
Gistalia, this happens a lot in our business. We're left hanging so many times that we begin to get depressed, wondering if we've been totally ignored or our book was drop-kicked out the window. Truth of the matter is, these publishers are oft times inundated with thousands of MSs, and it takes them forever to wade through them. Sourcebooks is popular, and this could well be the reason for their silence.

Yes. I know. Thanks for the head pat. I needed it.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
That is great! Sourcebooks has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past few years. They've published some really great YA titles, incl. NYT Bestselling THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I sent them a romance novel and it was lacking in some areas. I did complete rewrite, adding 15,000 words to the original and sent in in three weeks later, asking to swap the old one out. They responded and said they would read the new version and not to worry. And here I was thinking that they would ignore the note and not key-in the new book.

I was very surprised by their attentiveness, and grateful for their fast response. they really seem to be on top of things in their email pile.

Last edited:

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Deb Werksman has been nothing but lovely - I sent her my romance novel in August and it got lost, so I sent her a followup email and she responded soon after, passing it on to another colleague that is more experienced with New Adult. She seemed to really enjoy my proposal and said she liked what she read, just that New Adult is such a tough genre to market and crack into. Here's to hoping they like it, Sourcebooks is one of my dream publishers.