Time's "Person of the Year" 2017

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Time announces it's annual "Person of the Year" early in December. Donald Trump wants it for a second straight year, but on his own terms.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/politics/donald-trump-time-magazine/index.html

I realize that impact, whether positive or negative, is part of mix. Hitler and Trump have won and both, in my opinion, have had impacts not unlike an army of roaches, termites, and tapeworms.

Groups have won in the past. Although my vote doesn't count, this year's winner should be "Women Who Spoke Truth to Power". Included would be those in the march that put Trump inauguration numbers to shame. Those who told bastards like Roy Moore that their days of groping, sexual assault, and stalking are over, those who refused to be bullied, and those who put school boards on notice that they would not accept bullying of their children.

Who would be your choice?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Robert Muller.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too soon for Mueller.

I also vote for the women who reported sexual harassment.

Time has already called Trump on his lie they have talked to him about it but he said he was too busy for the photo shoot. He's such an idiot.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Resistance

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that would be so cool!

I fear we haven't made a big enough impact yet.

The Resistance helped end the attempts to end the ACA. Now we have to do the same with the Net Neutrality repeal and Budget

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Colin Kaepernick.

More than Time, though, I wish the Texans were smart enough to snag him. If they'd done that from the beginning of the season, they'd likely be leading their division right now. Maybe even Watson wouldn't have overtrained and gotten hurt.

Forget Time, in fact, I just want Kaepernick playing for the Texans.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick.

More than Time, though, I wish the Texans were smart enough to snag him. If they'd done that from the beginning of the season, they'd likely be leading their division right now. MMaybe even Watson wouldn't have overtrained and gotten hurt.

Forget Time, in fact, I just want Kaepernick playing for the Texans.
You know, I thought about Kaepernick as a second choice. Anyone Trump calls a son-of-a-bitch must have some impact.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For obvious reasons I'd select Colin Kaepernick.

But I think I'm going to go with Harvey Weinstein as the Person of the Year. Not because he deserves the honor, but because he deserves the credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for bringing into the light of day just how pervasive, how pernicious, how poisonous the disease of sexual harassment of women truly is.

Kaepernick's protest has been wildly successful in waking up the activist lying dormant in the souls of professional athletes generally and in the National Football League specifically, all without stepping foot on the field all season.

But the exposing of Harvey Weinstein's lifetime of predatory behavior has been a seismic shift in Hollywood, Washington and every other power base of patriarchy. This does not herald the end of men harassing women, but it should herald the end of silence.

If not necessarily the Person of the Year, change it to Villain of the Year and Weinstein richly deserves the "honor." :e2tomato:

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoever is chosen, I rather expect it's the last year that the Koch Brothers won't have an outsized influence on the winner.

So, in 2018 after he's killed Net Neutrality, Ajit Pai, perhaps?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For obvious reasons I'd select Colin Kaepernick.

But I think I'm going to go with Harvey Weinstein as the Person of the Year. Not because he deserves the honor, but because he deserves the credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for bringing into the light of day just how pervasive, how pernicious, how poisonous the disease of sexual harassment of women truly is.

Kaepernick's protest has been wildly successful in waking up the activist lying dormant in the souls of professional athletes generally and in the National Football League specifically, all without stepping foot on the field all season.

But the exposing of Harvey Weinstein's lifetime of predatory behavior has been a seismic shift in Hollywood, Washington and every other power base of patriarchy. This does not herald the end of men harassing women, but it should herald the end of silence.

If not necessarily the Person of the Year, change it to Villain of the Year and Weinstein richly deserves the "honor." :e2tomato:

Perhaps Rowan Farrow as Person of the Year then. He wrote the article and persisted with getting the story out there, after being hampered by NBC.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's got my vote:

PersonOfTheYear%201.jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Silence Breakers. Women who have spoken out about sexual harassment, abuse and assault.

Link

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Silence Breakers. Women who have spoken out about sexual harassment, abuse and assault.

Link

I've got no problem with this. I would have loved it had Kaepernick won the award, but I'm certain he's happier these courageous women and men did by breaking the silence of sexual harassment.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think in a way Kaepernick is also a silence breaker. He's forced the discussion of police violence in the same way the #metoo people forced it on sexual harassment. It's on the table now, no matter how much some people (cough) hate it being visible.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I've got no problem with this. I would have loved it had Kaepernick won the award, but I'm certain he's happier these courageous women and men did by breaking the silence of sexual harassment.

Same.

I think in a way Kaepernick is also a silence breaker. He's forced the discussion of police violence in the same way the #metoo people forced it on sexual harassment. It's on the table now, no matter how much some people (cough) hate it being visible.

Yes, this.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There is definitely an intersection between BLM and silence breaking re gender-based assaults. For one thing, women (especially women of color, but even white women) are often victims of police discrimination, sexual assault, and brutality as well, and women of color are often victims who aren't taken seriously when it comes to allegations of sexual harassment in a variety of settings (and seem to be underrepresented, even within the #me too movement)

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Too soon for Mueller.

I also vote for the women who reported sexual harassment.

Time has already called Trump on his lie they have talked to him about it but he said he was too busy for the photo shoot. He's such an idiot.
Do you get a prize for this call? You should get a prize.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, sorry, BoF called it first.