How to format write songs in screenplay

cmeffa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I had a question. I am presently writing / rewriting a screenplay, and in it there is a character who is a singer, and there are scenes with her rehearsing and later performing. I am writing this for either someone else to direct or maybe, just matbe I will get to direct myself, but let's just say someone else will be slated to direct. I was wondering in the scenes with songs ( this is not a 'musical', it is more a horror film that is sort of like Phantom of the Opera.) is there any suggestions how to write this. I have read a variety of info online pertaining to this. Some say write an idea of what kind of song, others say don't write anything about the song, and others say write an actual song. Is there any reliable info on this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I noticed the script for La La Land on IMSDb has "a FULL-FLEDGED MUSICAL NUMBER" on the first page that doesn't include any lyrics.

The song title is presented as "...a new, original piece of music... [ANOTHER DAY OF SUN]"

Gotta assume there are separate musical notes in addition to, and not included in, the script.

-Derek

cmeffa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. Sorry about the late reply. I have had quite a bit going on. Like I stated above there was alot of conflicting info when I looked it up. This info does give me a good start. Thanks again.