Winter scene of a small village with snowmen and a UFO

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Naming conventions among Massachusett tribe

practical experience, FTW

Naming conventions among Massachusett tribe

This is a followup to my earlier threads regarding the 500AD story. The protag has finally encountered the natives, and I'd like, if possible, to create naming conventions consistent with what might be historically accurate.

I know that there's no true way to figure this out. Pretty much all the names I've found have either been anglicized or untranslated, and my brain just can't translate ancient Algonquin readily enough.

So, what I'm looking for are suggestions so as to avoid the cliched animal names and such.
    There is no power in the universe greater than the need for one writer to change another writer's copy
    --tee shirt artist

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    The tribe might have resources that can help you. In CT the Pequots have a very active program of historical and cultural research (links at the Pequot Museum site) -- they may be able to help, or point you to something more relevant.

Ex everything; trying something new DrDoc's Avatar
    4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
    Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...personal_names.

What I don't know is whether they adopted a later name based on some event in their lives, e.g. Stands with a fist, Ten Bears, Three Eagles, etc. Of course, these are anglicized versions or native language names.
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.

practical experience, FTW
    Thanks. I'll check those names.
    There is no power in the universe greater than the need for one writer to change another writer's copy
    --tee shirt artist