My response to the toothache thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
Hey guys thanks for all the advice on that thread. I think more than anything it manages to irritate and make things worse, perhaps i overdid some of the remedies. I am not a huge fan of meds ( i like to think if my body cant deal with it i am not strong enough you know be a real man kind of stuff ) .

I quickly dropped that manly man rubbish. I got a prescription for antiboitics. Amoxicillin and also Flagyl ( Metronidazole ) <---- That is some heavy stuff . It gave me headaches and nausea and i felt dizzy but i was just to happy to find in two days things were easing up pain wise and since the pain meds didn't really help i assumed it was the infection clearing out.

Interestingly i could get codeine otc in the form of mybulin a mixture of codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol. I cant say it was especially nice or habit forming. In the end i had to sit out the pain. But knowing the anti bs would help at some stage pushed me through.

I finished the course went to a dentist and he did a route canal ..... still not as painful as a the toothache. I am now once again a happy person.

Interestinlgy and this is why i came back to post , i spoke to my dentist and asked him why does our body struggle with this type of infection , surely we evolved to to overcome it like we do most other things.

He said , we havent had time to evolve , and i though what the heck are you talking about man we have been around for a long time. Surely we have.

So as it goes , our ancestors ate mostly meats fruits and plants , so there was very little form of real sugar , and acids except for some fruits but they were consumed so rarely it was never really a problem. He then said that tooth ache only started becoming a problem for mankind when we learnt how to farm , and this evolutionary wise is not so very long ago. After the advent of farming, processed sugars and starches formed the main parts of our diets, and the things that naturally clean our teeth somewhat we didnt consume that much anymore. This was a recipe for disaster.

He then said , if the caveman's body could not handle the infection , i imagine they would have chewed some herbs , for antibiotic purposes and as a agent to put you out ( mushrooms ) LOL. If it didnt clear up and spread further , he probably would develop a fever , the infection could spread through the jaw into the brain or your throat could swell shut , maybe you could get septicaemia in your blood just depends.....but yes you would not make it in those times.

Lastly he said before modern dentistry , it was your barber who would pull your teeth.

Last edited:

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those question/topics which isn't super easily explained and can be misinterpreted. So immunity doesn't change and grow down the bloodlines if a particular pathogen is present, a person immunity is cultivated during their lifetime by constant exposure to pathogens and the random generation of antigen receptors on immune cells. This is not to be confused with genetic mutation which can help mitigate the effects of certain illness like sickle cell anemia in regards to malaria.

I'm sure our more sugar heavy diets have played a significant role in our health but even if you didn't eat a more western diet you'd still be in danger of infection either way. We also don't know if our ancestor's suffered from tooth problems either as teeth do tend to go missing from skeletal remains and the teeth we do find can still harbor the evidence for bacterial infection but we can't be 100% certain that bacteria originated from the tooth or if the infection was systemic in nature.

Anyways, take home message is our immune systems don't evolve to fight a particular pathogen even if it's present in our environment over generations. If this were true we wouldn't have need a vaccine to beat smallpox or any of the really old diseases.

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
So it's a bit strange you bring that up. I read through the article you posted and went to the link provided to the journal Science. My university gives me access to the journal so I wanted to read the author's report and skim through their sequencing data but the link to the full article is dead and it's not listed in the table of content. I wonder if someone has already spotted something a miss in their findings and the article was pull due to it.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
So it's a bit strange you bring that up. I read through the article you posted and went to the link provided to the journal Science. My university gives me access to the journal so I wanted to read the author's report and skim through their sequencing data but the link to the full article is dead and it's not listed in the table of content. I wonder if someone has already spotted something a miss in their findings and the article was pull due to it.

It hasn't been pulled. I've got it open in front of me.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Abscessed teeth don't always result from cavities. Sometimes they can happen because of trauma to the nerve (which dies) from an impact or chronic pressure, such as from tooth clenching or grinding, or from tooth wear, or from cracking of a tooth from biting something that's too hard.

I've had an abscessed tooth, and I can honestly say it's the worst pain of the chronic sort I've ever experienced. Vicodin barely put a dent in it. The five days I had to wait before they could get me in for the root canal were the longest of my life. I quite literally feel your pain and am glad you are feeling better now.

One thing to consider is that tooth problems in prehistoric times were more common in older people, whose teeth had worn down by then (food was much more abrasive back then). Once you're middle aged or old, you've already passed on your genes, most likely, so genetic differences in tooth aging may not be a strongly selected thing.

Though there is the so-called grandmother hypothesis, which is the proposal that human longevity evolved because elders (especially mothers) increased their grandchildren's fitness by helping their children raise them, so who knows. People could actually live a pretty long time in prehistoric societies (some anthropologists hypothesize that average lifespans actually went down once people settled down and became more reliant on agriculture).

Still, people died of things we can treat now. I think pulling teeth goes back a long way, though. I imagine it was harder to get the whole tooth, root and all, out before anesthetics and sophisticated tools, though.

As you noted, people didn't have access to processed sugar much before the early modern era, so back in the old, old days the only really sticky sweet was honey. Though I read an article in Natural History some years ago that stated the widespread consumption of cooked cereal products did cause an increase in tooth decay (as opposed to tooth wear) after pottery was invented.

Re evolution, every trait will show a certain amount of variability. In prehistoric (and pre-industrial) times, if an abscessed tooth couldn't be pulled or the gum lanced and the infection drained or burned out from below, its owner likely died. People (and other animals) have been dying prematurely of various things throughout the history of life. Natural selection can't build perfect, immortal bodies. It can only select among the best of what's available at the time. And what's best is often a matter of tradeoffs and will vary (and change) with the environment.

In the wild, many mammals die when their teeth wear out, but nature can't make indestructible teeth, and mammals seem to have traded teeth that can grow back continuously (as seen in fish and reptiles) throughout their lives for teeth that are more deeply socketed in the jawbones and differentiated into different tooth types (which are adaptations to needing to chew their food).

So tooth wear and decay is one of those trade-offs mammals have to deal with.

Since you brought up the subject of evolution, I found this interesting. It appears species evolution can occur in as little as 2 generations through natural hybridization and that evolution through mutations over time is not the only way for species differentiation.

https://sciencealert.com/darwin-s-f...pecies-in-real-time-two-generations-galapagos

I just read that article yesterday. Pretty interesting. This kind of speciation, caused by hybridization where the hybrids can only breed with each other, is well documented in plants (modern domestic wheat resulted from a hybrid), but as far as I know (tell me if I'm wrong, Helix) it hasn't been seen as often in animals, especially vertebrates.

Though hasn't hybridization been responsible for some of those all-female species of lizard that reproduce by parthenogenesis? Presumably this would have happened in just two generations also.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You're right, Roxxsmom, it's definitely not commonly recorded in vertebrates. Prob the most well-known hybrid species among the verts is Heteronotia binoei, a parthenogenetic gecko widespread in inland Australia.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I was trying to find out what -notia meant, but Google kept suggesting I really wanted to look for naughty. I didn't want to risk it, so gave up.

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
It hasn't been pulled. I've got it open in front of me.

Yeah, I don't know why the article wouldn't load last night but I finally got a chance to read it. It's a super interesting read, I'll be curious to see if the Big Bird lineage will be able to survive much longer due to its low population size and genetic homogeneity between mating pairs. I also will find it interesting if they are able to check in the lineage can successfully mate with G. conirostris on Española.

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow this thread has blown up a bit. Refering to the small pox post.

I am no scientist but i believe its because of the brutal nature of small pox i.e it kills fast and your body does not really get much of a fighting chance to adapt. If a few million of us where to survive it i am sure we could grow a natural immunity among those bloodlines but we couldnt. ( again i am no scientist )

I guess this is why the vaccination is basically a small sample of a very similar virus ( but not so deadly ) vaccinia , enough to get your white blood cells to adapt but not enough to kill you.

Interestingly coming back to the caveman thing , i incidentally saw a documentary on a cave being discovered with some human skulls in it. They had signs of bad tooth decay and many of the skulls actually had teeth pulled ( my guess was as a way of prevention ) . They must have realised back then the dangers of a abscess, though the pain is also a very good reminder in serving that purpose lol.

I did did a quick google search have a look at this nasty https://www.sciencenews.org/article...ers-tackled-their-cavities-sharp-tool-and-tar

How scary is the modern dentist now ? Not so much . :)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You're right, Roxxsmom, it's definitely not commonly recorded in vertebrates. Prob the most well-known hybrid species among the verts is Heteronotia binoei, a parthenogenetic gecko widespread in inland Australia.

Yep, and some of the unrelated whiptail lizards of the American southwest.

Hetero it's not.

Nor are the southwestern lizard "ladies."

There were some papers many years ago that had pictures of female whiptail lizards in coitus--possibly required to stimulate ovulation of the eggs that develops photogenically into a clone of their mother.

http://www.pnas.org/content/77/1/499.full.pdf

Here's a more recent article on these lizards, which are apparently tetraploid (also much more common in plants than in vertebrate animals).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/asexual-lizards/

Okay, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, teeth.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Random thoughts from my overfilled brain:

Since you brought up the subject of evolution, I found this interesting. It appears species evolution can occur in as little as 2 generations through natural hybridization and that evolution through mutations over time is not the only way for species differentiation.

https://sciencealert.com/darwin-s-f...pecies-in-real-time-two-generations-galapagos
That article is about bird evolution, not human evolution. Microorganisms can evolve in hours, humans, not so much.

When human genomes were looked at across the globe it was found we are all one species. There are no sub-species even with groups like the Australian Aboriginals which before Europeans come to Australia were isolated for 60K years give or take a dozen K. That doesn't mean adaptations can't arise within a species, they can. But one has to be careful in how one conceptualizes human evolution.

Some examples: dark skin evolved more than once as humans migrated north from Africa with skin getting lighter over thousands of years, then getting darker again as humans migrated south down the American continents toward the equator. Light skinned Europeans in Australia will have to wear hats and sunscreen for many generations to come, we're good at adapting until that very slow evolution makes its corrections.

As for the pathogen-human arms race, remember the little buggers are also evolving. Our best successes against tooth decay before modern medicine actually came from passing on colonies of good bacteria to the next generation. People with certain normal oral flora have more resistance to cavities than people with less protective normal flora.

Human fossils include people who have suffered horrible abscesses and tooth decay. If the tooth didn't fall out infection can spread into to bone, and it does. Other ancient people have surprisingly good teeth, the luck of the draw.

Mummy with Mouthful of Cavities Discovered
Rather than age, he may have succumbed to a sinus infection caused by a mouthful of cavities and other tooth ailments, according to new research on the man's odd dental filling.

Otzi the Iceman had bad teeth.

Bad teeth in ancient Egyptians
Worn teeth, periodontal diseases, abscesses and cavities tormented the ancient Egyptians, according to the first systematic review of all studies performed on Egyptian mummies in the past 30 years.

These Newly Discovered Bacteria Can Help Prevent Cavities, And Scientists Want to Put Them in a Pill

As for smallpox, Wiki has a good article on the virus.
The overall case-fatality rate for ordinary-type smallpox is about 30 percent, but varies by pock distribution: ordinary type-confluent is fatal about 50–75 percent of the time, ordinary-type semi-confluent about 25–50 percent of the time, in cases where the rash is discrete the case-fatality rate is less than 10 percent. The overall fatality rate for children younger than 1 year of age is 40–50 percent. Hemorrhagic and flat types have the highest fatality rates. The fatality rate for flat-type is 90 percent or greater and nearly 100 percent is observed in cases of hemorrhagic smallpox. The case-fatality rate for variola minor is 1 percent or less.[23] There is no evidence of chronic or recurrent infection with variola virus.[23]
If pathogens are too efficient at killing the host, they will soon run out of hosts.

Organisms like highly pathogenic influenza at first spread rapidly in a population. But they rapidly become attenuated as the most lethal strains die out with the host, while the less deadly strains reproduce more readily. Eventually milder and milder strains are selected and the pandemic subsides until the next highly pathogenic strain emerges.

Last edited:

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So its kind of in the best interest of a pathogen to not be deadly then... but in my strange view i always see these big events ( deadly pathogens ) as natures natural way of trying to balance things out. Let me put it thi way , our planet and everything on it has come about in a very rare set of circumstances.

Im not saying mother nature is sitting up there planning her next clean up but rather the earth as a whole has ( or had) a great balance system going on.

When humans became too many , there would be a sudden evolution and quick spreading of a deadly disease ( which could only be possible under heavy populated circumstances, it was probably there all along just didnt have the right circumstances to make the breach. Like a prevention method ) Perfect right. Population issue resolved , potential over use of the earths resources and wildlife is also now no longer a issue. Things are balanced.

However now as we are running away with tech we have broken that balance, but i almost wonder if that is part of the balance too. That we become too many and in some way because of this wipe most of the planet clean of most life, we do seem to beheading that way. Almost like the ice age and the dinosaurs , to give way for new evolution from the ground up .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.