Hello Fellow Writers!

RachelVictor

Weirdo Mountain Punk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi there!

I'm not at all new to the world of writing, but I am new to AW! I've scanned it many times for advice, but finally decided to sign up :)

A bit about me? Well, obviously, I'm a writer. I like to write YA for my novels, and adult horror/scif-fi/magic-realism when it comes to screenplays. But I can pretty much pen anything across any genre or field. I've been writing since I was 5 (I'm 27 now), and I've spearheaded a few in-person fiction workshops & critique groups. I've also worked as an English consultant for my county's community college, and I'm currently a full-time WWU student majoring in creative writing with a minor in film. It's my dream to one day write for television (i.e. be part of the writer's room for shows like The 100, The Expanse, Into the Badlands, The Magicians, etc.). If I could eventually direct, or hell, even show-run, that'd be amazing. But that's a pipe dream.

Currently, I have just started my career as an author of YA fiction. My recent novel landed me my freaking amazing agent, and I just signed a career-long contract (woohoo! no more querying!). She's guiding me through revisions before we go on submission early next year (so thrilled!). Traditional publishing is a wicked long process (and don't even get me started on querying, lol), but it's been worth every bit of it!

So what about me that doesn't have to do with writing? Well, I'm a gamer. I'm unapologetically addicted to Overwatch (Orisa main!). I have a deep emotional connection to The Last of Us. I can't wait to start playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I have two birds and a dog. I live where it's either cloudy or raining 300+ days out of the year. I don't eat meat. I eat too much candy. I love using italics even though everyone tells me to chill. And I go to the gym just to stay fit so that if there's ever a zombie apocalypse, I'll be able to gtfo.

I'm super excited to get to know other writers on here! Drop by, say hi!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

BrittanyAstor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rachel! Welcome!

Congratulations on landing your agent - what a dream! The process must get so exciting for you now!

I noticed we are of similar age (I'm 28) and both enjoy writing and reading YA novels. Also super keen on things like The 100, etc. Imagine being in that writing room? Awesome, indeed!

NeilTylerFloyd

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.neilifloyd.net
Welcome to AW! Fellow film student here (well, graduated in 2014). I wrote nothing but screenplays in college and then switched back to novels when I graduated.

Also--The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of all time. You have good taste :)

Kyanite

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations on the contract with an agent! What a dream. The mere idea of the query process is scaring me silly. I have a while before I need to worry about that too much though.

Willer

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

First up as people mentioned up the thread I must say that we are of the similar age too when I switch my age digits around. Sort of.
Cograts on the agent and contract and the happiness that radiates from your writing.