A spirited defense of speculative fiction

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Not by me, but I just saw this article by Anna Stephens which unpacks some interesting attitudes towards the genre fiction ghetto and SFF in general. Rather good, I don't have much to say about it w/o repeating what she says, but it's worth a look. And I probably need to read her book anyways, it looks quite good.

https://anna-stephens.com/2017/11/25/in-defence-of-fantasy-and-science-fiction/

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oh yes, I saw that article in the Guardian she’s referring to. I almost started a thread here on it but thought it would be too depressing.

Basically a study found that if people were reading identical stories, except that one had sci-fi markers like “airlock” where the other said “door”, the readers would stop carefully reading the one with sci-fi markers as soon as they hit them and afterwards would judge the one story as of poorer quality than the other, even though they were exactly the same.

The researcher’s thesis was many readers automatically assume “genre” fiction is inferior and stop even trying to get anything out of it, and then remember it as being bad.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'll state here what I said on File 770.

(6) As the comments on the article say, it’s a click-baity headline. And needlessly derogative.

“He was awake in his bunk just a few hours ago, staring at …”; the narrative realism version then continues: “… the shadows of his ceiling slowly ebbing to pink, when the delivery kid’s bicycle rattled onto the gravel of his driveway,” while the science fiction version continues: “… the gray of his sky-replicating ceiling slowly ebbing to pink, when the satellite dish mounted above his quarters started grinding into position to receive the day’s messages relayed from Earth.”

I’ve got two reactions to this. One is that good SF (at least the kind I enjoy) makes you put the pieces together. I’m constantly figuring things out. On lots of different levels. The BEST SF/F gives you a different reading every time you read it. I pick up new layers every time I re-read Bujold, which is a trick as I’ve re-read some of her books five or six times.

Or look at Anathem by Stephenson. There’s a crapton of levels.
– Basic Plot
– Figuring out the words
– The fun of realizing (or even tracking down) all the our-world analogues to such things as Saunt Cartas or the Sconic movement
– Figuring out the basic worldbuilding
– Following the sub-plots, romance and otherwise
– On re-reading, you realize things where happening right there that you didn’t realize were happening the first time. (For a FANTASTIC book that does this better than any other I’ve read, go out and read, then re-read, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein RIGHT NOW. It’s practically two different books.)
– Realizing what Antarct is
– Comprehending quantum physics and the many-worlds hypothosis
– And how that all relates to your brain (read Roger Penrose)
– What the heck is the difference between Incantors and Rhetors and which character follows which philosophy
– And then there’s Fraa Jad

Of course I would do poorly on comprehension quiz after the first read-through. Stephenson is throwing all these unfamiliar words and concepts at me.

(Aside – When I was at University, I took a class on teaching reading to elementary school children. One exercise we were given was to read a short passage about an Inuit hunting a seal–with all the native terminology–then take a comprehension quiz. Most of us failed. The point being that if you don’t have a good grasp of the cultural norms you’re reading in, your comprehension of written prose is lower than when you do. If we offered more culturally relevant reading to our “poorly performing” students their comprehension would be more on par with their peers.)

In GOOD science fiction and fantasy, we are often reading outside anybody’s cultural norms. We spend a chunk of our reading energy figuring out what a Weyr is, how ansibles work, whether we’re on Earth or some alien planet, is our Heroine imagining this or is this how the world really works? Am *I* imagining this or is that how this world really works? Why does everyone’s name start with “Vor”? And, wait, didn’t Shakespeare only write 38 plays?

My second thought is that you can’t write Science Fiction just by replacing the word bicycle with satellite dish. It sounds like they wrote what might have been a decent “Literary” fiction piece and then made a very bad Science Fiction piece out of it, which messes with their data right from the get-go.​

And also follow up comment of mine on File 770:

PhilRM on November 7, 2017 at 9:07 am said:

NB: it’s very important to realize that what the paper calls ‘Science Fiction readers’ are simply the subset of online volunteers who were given the ‘Science Fiction’ version of the story to read; they are not people who identified in any way as regular readers of SF. And it’s hard to tell how much the result was influenced by what was likely a terrible SF story, since they constructed it by taking their ‘literary’ story and replacing everyday terminology with ‘SF’ terms.

Which is another problem with the study. It’s not that non-SF readers can’t understand SF, that would be a stupid and elitist take. But regular SF readers have training in … setting aside early expectations, I guess. I *expect* to not understand what’s going on in the beginning. I *expect* I have to figure it out and build contextual clues not only from scratch, but from other SF stories. I go in to a story knowing what an ansible is. I also go in knowing if the author says “the alligator bus” they are more probably being literal as opposed to a metaphor. I have a toolbox built up over the decades to help me over the unfamiliar. And the author can expect that and work with it.

Many readers with limited experience with SF literature don’t have those examples, or that built-up toolbox*. Thus many of them work a bit harder to build the cultural connotations that results in a good reading comprehension score.

This is compounded with a story that doesn’t even try to explain things. If they’re just substituting “bicycle” with “satellite dish” they’re not taking the time to drop cultural clues for new readers to pick up. No halfway decent author just says “he called them on the ansible and asked what he should have for lunch” without dropping something in the text to help readers figure out what an ansible is. (Or at least help the reader realize the call is going someplace ten light years away and getting an instant response.)

*Nowadays, more and more people DO have that toolbox. They’re picking it up out of the ether of the permeation of SF into mainstream culture. But even so, that won’t help much in figuring out what an ansible is without some context clues.​

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this attitude is still alive and well. I often run into people who say they don't like SF or fantasy, and they generally assume it's all the same. Few who don't read it really have an appreciation of how broad it is, or of how varied it can be stylistically. Some SF and fantasy is written in a very literary way.

I've run across even more contempt for romance as a genre. I've run across less for mysteries, historical fiction, or for contemporary-themed popular work. I've also run across people who look down on adults (or even teens) who read YA fiction. YA isn't a genre, but the same kind of assumptions seem to apply: that it's all the same and written in a dumbed-down style with no literary merit.

Mind you, I don't think a book has to fall under the category of "literary fiction" or to be literary in style to be well written or to have merit.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
First, sticking some airlocks and a spaceship in a story originally written as contemporary fiction doesn't probably make for very good sci-fi, so I'm not surprised a lot of readers didn't care for it. If there was no elaboration on the world-building and setting, I'd get irritated too.

Second, I think the author of that blog article is being WAY too hard on people. I'm sure some people don't read SF&F because they look down on it (though I've never personally met anyone who said that), but lots of others just prefer to read other things. I don't think historical fiction or mysteries are inferior to my preferred genres, I just don't really care for them personally. We're all entitled to our reading preferences.

I really don't know where to begin with the rant about how people look down on 'geeks' and tell them to 'grow up' in that blog post. I have all kinds of geeky interests and have never in my whole entire life encountered such behavior. People either share my interests, nod and smile politely because they have no clue what I'm talking about, or ask if I can fix their computer, lol. Though I don't approach people with the tone that they're wrong for not liking what I like, which may help.

Now, if you want to see some vicious genre prejudice, try writing romance. I have to correct someone going off on a rant about how stupid/inferior/bad romance is either online or IRL on practically a weekly basis, and I don't even write romance or bring the subject up.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to like the Guardian in general, but they seem to have a habit every so often of posting articles that go something like 'World-famous professor says Harry Potter makes children stupider, believes they should be reading Goethe'.

With regards to SFF, it always amazes me how far people go to prove they hate it. I never care what people's tastes are, but it's annoying to always hear the diatribes about why it's bad, almost like they're trying to prove to themselves they're not nerds and this is still middle school. My reaction tends to go something like 'I'm sorry you live your life in a way that limits your ability to enjoy things'.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I long ago quit justifying my taste when asses disrespect it. The most attention I bother to give them is a raised eyebrow. Then I go about enjoying whatever I enjoy. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on asses

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't go out of my way to bring the subject up, or to start an argument.

But if challenged, I do have a tendency to argue people into submission on this particular topic. If they don't want to know, then they should have kept their opinion to themselves and/or put some effort into constructing it.

Not my fault if other people's logic is poor.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
But if challenged, I do have a tendency to argue people into submission on this particular topic.

At least with the people closest to me in my life, I tend to start talking in obnoxious detail about Farscape. Doesn't convince them of anything, but annoys them into thinking next time before they make obviously trollish statements.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
First, sticking some airlocks and a spaceship in a story originally written as contemporary fiction doesn't probably make for very good sci-fi, so I'm not surprised a lot of readers didn't care for it. If there was no elaboration on the world-building and setting, I'd get irritated too.

Very much this. I mean when a door unexpectedly opens, you're afraid something scary might come in, but if an airlock unexpectedly opens you're afraid something vital might leak out. It may be just background, but these sort of differences add up and good SF works with them. So when Anna Stephens writes the following paragraph:

But the genre ‘furniture’ that makes a sci-fi novel sci-fi, or fantasy into fantasy, is exactly that: furniture. It’s window dressing for your characters. Because it’s about the story – not where the story’s set. It’s about the interactions of characters – not how many legs those characters have. It’s about, at the end of the day, emotion. And fear is fear whether you’re in a house in Berkshire or a spaceship three light years from your home sun.

That's just not helpful. On a rather abstract level that's true, but when you get down to specifics, the setting is a vital part of the story (and Ultragotha's post is pretty good at giving examples why).

I love reading science fiction, but if I'd read that story (I haven't seen the texts), there's a good chance that I'd feel it's a stupid story, too, because none of the setting cues lead to anything. At worst, I'm working out setting-theories that actually remove me from the text, because it was written with doors in mind, not airlocks. Setting is important, and doubly so in SF. You can't just replace words and expect to have the same story. (If you do, it's likely a rather shallow story to begin with.)

For example, what's the theory behind replicating a grey sky? And why do you replicate sky in a room where you sleep? All questions that lead nowhere, but those are things that automatically pop up in your mind if you've read a lot of SF.

The furniture isn't just furniture. The furniture is the story.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yeah, good SF relies on those constructs.

Lord of Light is my classic example. Crew of a colony ship use technology to establish a false Hinduism and people who subscribe to their autocracy get "reincarnated" with new bodies; people who "sin" are reincarnated as dogs and apes etc.

The interplay between myth, religion, science, and philosophy is fantastic. And it is not just window dressing. It is a story which cannot, CANNOT be told or remotely approximated in contemporary fiction, however literary or cutting edge. Because it needs those speculative elements to work, to ask those questions, to dazzle the mind.

Speculative fiction hands down produces the very finest fiction, against which contemporary cannot hope to compete. YEs, there's a lot of shite, but that's true of other genres too.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's time we stopped apologising for spec fic, and saying things like "it's as good as other genres".

Because it's not as good; it's better.

I'm raising a toast to this!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the problem here is that she's falling back on the habit of defending the genre in terms she thinks an outsider would understand, trying to negotiate with them on "why we like dragon and wizard stories". I liked the article, but had not really thought about how frustrating it is to see the genre explained by cutting out the heart of it. SFF can replicate the range of emotions and experiences found in other genres, but it can also expand on them, is the thing Stephens is underselling.

Now, if you want to see some vicious genre prejudice, try writing romance. I have to correct someone going off on a rant about how stupid/inferior/bad romance is either online or IRL on practically a weekly basis, and I don't even write romance or bring the subject up.

This is true, and especially insane & pointless considering the market share.

On a related topic of what makes SFF different, has anyone seen Adam Robert's TED Talk on SF as poetry? My favorite explanation of the genre (and I rather love him in general, all his talks are worthwhile), though even he falls back into a defensive position by using the example of mainstream science fiction movies he assumes everyone has seen (and maybe aren't all the best examples).

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So when Anna Stephens writes the following paragraph:

But the genre ‘furniture’ that makes a sci-fi novel sci-fi, or fantasy into fantasy, is exactly that: furniture. It’s window dressing for your characters. Because it’s about the story – not where the story’s set. It’s about the interactions of characters – not how many legs those characters have. It’s about, at the end of the day, emotion. And fear is fear whether you’re in a house in Berkshire or a spaceship three light years from your home sun.

That's just not helpful.

I'd go further and say that shows a base level misunderstanding of how literature - not just SFF - works.

This kind of opinion is not worth wasting breath debating.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
My perspective on "genre" vs. "literary" changed after I had a story published in a well-known avant garde journal. I went to a reading which the editors organized. I read my story, but I felt incredibly out of place. It seemed that the thing on a pedestal, the thing being celebrated, was "literary greatness itself." It seemed that that particular community wanted to take art and put it to work for a social and cultural agenda. It felt like art was supposed to tell, not show--broadcast externally, not illumine internally.

The whole thing kind of fell apart for me then. At the risk of sounding like a total jackass, I enjoyed my story best at the reading because it had a speculative element. The aesthetic polish of literary fiction lost its glow. It began to feel hollow to me. When stripped down to their core movements, these stories were about nothing. I realized that was the experience I had had reading many (though not all) "literary" novels. I was drowning in "literary greatness," but I was bored.

Now I don't give a fig for "literary greatness." I like COOL stories.

That's the word I would have used to describe them when I was 12. I've read tons of literary fiction, philosophy, theology, and pulp since then, and I still come back to that. I like COOL stories. Which means SF.

Orson Scott Card shares an interesting perspective on this in his book on characterization. He says that in a lot of literary fiction, he thinks the author is the hero. I realized that I was tired of bowing down to the author. I want to get lost in a real story with a hero who isn't the author.

Long live SF!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't know where to begin with the rant about how people look down on 'geeks' and tell them to 'grow up' in that blog post. I have all kinds of geeky interests and have never in my whole entire life encountered such behavior.

I actually have encountered this mentality, but only with my mother. I've adored animation my entire life. When I was a kid, she assumed it was something I'd grow out of, and I spent my high school years sneak-watching "Batman The Animated Series" and "Animaiacs" and *gasp!* "The Simpsons," the way other teens might have hidden porn.

These days, I generally just avoid the topic when she's around, but she came to visit last year and I made the mistake of recommending an anime I thought she'd really enjoy (if it were live-action, she would have gone bonkers for it).

She sighed and said, "You know, I never understood why you like cartoons so much. I accept it, but I dont understand it."

Her tone was one of "how disappointed I am in my child, who is broken in some fundamental way, and how noble of me to accept her for who she is. Now pardon me while I pat myself on the back."

I was tempted to snark back with her own words, substituting "football" (which she loves and I could just never get into) for cartoons, but I learned long ago that silence is the only viable response when she gets like that.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
That's the word I would have used to describe them when I was 12. I've read tons of literary fiction, philosophy, theology, and pulp since then, and I still come back to that. I like COOL stories. Which means SF.

Orson Scott Card shares an interesting perspective on this in his book on characterization. He says that in a lot of literary fiction, he thinks the author is the hero. I realized that I was tired of bowing down to the author. I want to get lost in a real story with a hero who isn't the author.

Long live SF!

But these thigns aren't mutually exclusive.

Literary doesn't have to mean shite. SFF doesn't mean, automatically excluded from literary. All my favorite SFF books are deeply literary.

I feel like the worst part about trying to write literary SFF (aside from the massive self doubt of, is this good enough) is having to fight the perception that your branch of the genre even exists.

Because it just doesn't, for many people. sigh.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I began reading SF when I was pretty young... who remembers buying abridged versions of 20,000 Leagues, Journey to the Center of the Earth, War of the Worlds, etc. at school?
I was instantly hooked.
BUT because I started SF when I was so young I viewed it as YA books, so when I got older I felt a little shame when I read SF. Why aren't you reading grown-up books by Tolstoy, Dickens, and Hemingway? Obviously this was self-talk, as hardly anyone actually asked that question.

Like any genre SF/F gives us the opportunity to examine a belief system from interesting perspectives. If anything, IMO, SF/F is superior in its ability to change perspective and alter thinking.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
But these thigns aren't mutually exclusive.

Literary doesn't have to mean shite. SFF doesn't mean, automatically excluded from literary. All my favorite SFF books are deeply literary.

I feel like the worst part about trying to write literary SFF (aside from the massive self doubt of, is this good enough) is having to fight the perception that your branch of the genre even exists.

Because it just doesn't, for many people. sigh.

This is soooo true.

Watch me change colors...

The *only* fiction with any merit is literary. The trouble is, only I know what that really means. :)