Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has interest in YA died down? Are there no huge titles anymore?

practical experience, FTW MaryLennox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
    They're not current releases, but :The Magicians and The Running Man come awfully close.
    Okay, thanks!

practical experience, FTW ManInBlack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLennox View Post
    I'm curious to know what the "adult Harry Potter" and "adult Hunger Games" series are.
    Seanan McGuire's October Daye novels featuring a magical world barely hidden beyond the surface of the mortal world, a variety of threats that affect only the magical or the entire world, magic passed through the bloodline, a reckless "chosen one," and their friends.

Pierce Brown's Red Rising novels start with a competition between the perpetual lower class to get enough food to feed their families. Admittedly, I'm pretty sure they diverge very quickly (Hunger Games is still in my to-read pile), but I thought them similar enough to acknowledge.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    I was thinking there have been so many incredible blockbuster YA novels this year...more so than the last couple. I know I've read more this year than I have in the last two prior years combined. And they've all been big and fantastic. The Hate U Give, They Both Die at the End, The Girl With the Red Balloon, The Upside of Unrequited...on and on. I was actually thinking 17 was a bit of an upswing in YA popularity.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

practical experience, FTW SciSarahTops's Avatar
    Reading about writing... less of the actual writing
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeman4444 View Post
    Or, perhaps, a better example is Marie Lu's newest endeavor, Warcross. The MC is Asian, female and has rainbow hair. But no one is pitching/selling the story as a diverse book. It's about so much more than the MC's nationality, gender etc. It's a plot-driven book with a gripping concept.
    This is exactly what I, personally, would like more of.

This whole thread has been great for recs. Thanks guys.
    Not much grows under the cloud of perfectionism.
    @serensavara

Aerospace engineer turned writer Laer Carroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Collins View Post
    There will be another huge YA series soon...
    I'm with Will on this. I've been a YA fan for going on 20 years. And every time someone says the field is such-and-such a way, in a year or two it changes completely.

We're like ants. We think the last tide will never return. But it always does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12