Incluing

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
In the fantasy & sci-fi forum administrator Zanjan introduced us to a term I'd never come across but immediately decided to put to use: INCLUING. It's often credited to SF writer Jo Walton.

"Incluing" means embedding clues like chocolate chips in cookies in the narrative. They can be of character, setting, or plot - the three legs of every story. They encourage readers to come up with their own details of character/setting/plot rather than take the writer's version.

This has the advantage that readers will be more convinced by ideas and memories coming from themselves than from the writer. It also means less work for us to come up with those details, and less work in changing them on rewrites. Too, it means that we can focus on the absolutely critical details of people/places/actions, making them as vivid and convincing as possible. It makes for shorter texts, always a good feature of a debut novel especially - as long as it isn't too abbreviated.

Thanks, Zanjan.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
An aspect of incluing is that it spurs thought and conversation outside of the work. Take a (well done) movie for instance - back in 1M BC when I was single, I enjoyed taking dates to movies with plots that could be discussed over coffee afterward. In book form, incluing allows the work to linger in the reader's mind, and I think that's a very good thing.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
"Incluing" means embedding clues like chocolate chips in cookies in the narrative. They can be of character, setting, or plot - the three legs of every story.
I'm with you so far. ..

They encourage readers to come up with their own details of character/setting/plot rather than take the writer's version.

But now I'm lost. Isn't the purpose of dropping clues to, well, clue the readers in? And not leave them groping for explanations? From what you said at first, incluing sound like a form of subtext, a way of showing information rather than coming out with an explanation. The clues are there for the reader to pick up on and therefore gain a greater understanding of story and character. But apparently not?

Examples would really help.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I think Laer means stuff like, casual references to other jobs, politicals groups, people, old boyfriends and girlfriends, past experiences. Relying reader meta-knowledge to fill in the facts.

It's a way of avoiding cliches--by incorporating them to create shortcuts. It also adds an illusion of depth, the way scenery does to a play, so that your character feels like they have a context rather than existing (as they actually do) within the four blank walls (metaphorically speaking) of your story.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So isn't it just a fancy name being applied to what one would do anyway?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have said so, but humans like to have names for things.

I can't say I'd heard the term before, and it doesn't do any harm to be reminded of what we perhaps overlook. I see it was raised in the Sci-Fi Fantasy Forum (where I went to read it) and it would seem to have relevance in most stories.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I think Laer means stuff like, casual references to other jobs, politicals groups, people, old boyfriends and girlfriends, past experiences. Relying reader meta-knowledge to fill in the facts.

It's a way of avoiding cliches--by incorporating them to create shortcuts. It also adds an illusion of depth, the way scenery does to a play, so that your character feels like they have a context rather than existing (as they actually do) within the four blank walls (metaphorically speaking) of your story.

But why would a reader have meta-knowledge about a character's prior relationships, jobs, experiences, etc., unless those had already been mentioned in the story? Or is it the very mention of them that's meant to be the "inclue"? And the reader is therefore intended to imaginatively weave more material around the clue than is actually there in the text, thereby enriching the character's world but only from the perspective of the reader? The thing is, I can see all that come crashing down if the author later reveals more information that contradicts the reader's fervid little fantasies.

Clearly I'm not getting this. :greenie Or looking at it the wrong way. Or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I see it was raised in the Sci-Fi Fantasy Forum (where I went to read it) and it would seem to have relevance in most stories.

I'm headed that way now.

Aaaannnd now I'm back. What's the title of thread where this is being discussed?

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Sorry, by meta knowledge I mean things like, we all know Romeo and Juliet to death. Mentioning "star crossed lovers" in reference to a character is sufficient to convey a whole wealth of cultural meaning without rehashing the story in detail.

Don't know if that's what she meant by it though.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
My comment about incluing (which I spelled wrong) that Laer referenced is here, fwiw.

It's less about letting readers form their own details (which they will regardless) and more about giving enough story breadcrumbs that the reader can build up a necessary picture of the background worldbuilding/character history/technical deets etc. in a holistic way without interrupting the narrative flow, instead of pausing for an infodump.

According to the Wikipedia article on exposition:
The word incluing is attributed to fantasy and science fiction author Jo Walton. She defined it as "the process of scattering information seamlessly through the text, as opposed to stopping the story to impart the information.""Information dump" is the term given for overt exposition, which writers want to avoid.

HTH?

I'm sure someone can explain it better.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
My comment about incluing (which I spelled wrong) that Laer referenced is here, fwiw.

It's less about letting readers form their own details (which they will regardless) and more about giving enough story breadcrumbs that the reader can build up a necessary picture of the background worldbuilding/character history/technical deets etc. in a holistic way without interrupting the narrative flow, instead of pausing for an infodump. [...]

I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Thank you, that was just fine. It's clearly a term for something we already know to do: interweave these details of backstory and worldbuilding rather than presenting them as dry, indigestible chunks.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, "incluing" is not dependent on reader metaknowledge and doesn't require the reader to fill in narrative gaps with outside information -- it's simply a technique to avoid info-dumps needed by a story (world-building, character history, tech, etc) by weaving small pieces of information into the flow of the narrative so that by the time it's important in the story for a reader to understand something, the reader already has all the information they need and has probably put it together in a pretty complete understanding of what's going on.

They encourage readers to come up with their own details of character/setting/plot rather than take the writer's version.

Not necessarily -- when incluing is done well, the picture the reader has constructed is going to be pretty much exactly what the writer meant it to be because it's based on the information the writer put there for the reader to use. It's JUST LIKE an info-dump, see, except it's spread out and more transparent to readers. (And since the reader does their own assembly, consciously or otherwise, they're more invested in it, not just passive audience.)

It's a technique that's been used for a long time. Jo Walton just gave it a name so we can talk about it. Clever, that!

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Well, plotting is also something all writers do or should do, but it is useful to have a term I think. A shortcut when describing problems or techniques.

The term is fine. It was the definition I was trying to nail down. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How is incluing different to foreshadowing? (Which I might have spelled wrong.)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Incluing is not related to foreshadowing. It's merely an alternative narrative technique to info-dumping.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever read any of China Mievelle's Bas-Lang novels? If so, I'd feel those would make a very good example. There are lots of details that in the narrative -events, places, people, things- that are not plot relevant or followed up on, but their inclusion serves to make the setting feel like a much more complex, cohesive whole. Context implies what meaning their supposed to have to the reader, but since the details are not explicitly spelled out, there's ambiguity.

Think of any time something in fiction can become a multi-page thread with different people interpreting events or actions because of details left ambiguous.

I don't agree with Laer's claim that this would effect the length of a narrative.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
How is incluing different to foreshadowing?
I think it doesn't just refer to future events, as it would also include worldbuilding and character depth/history.
I'd say that that's your answer. Foreshadowing is one kind of "inclue" - or just plain "clue." It hints at future events. A clue can also hint at past events, or ones happening at the same time "offstage."

I'd say that clues divide into the three legs of every story: character, setting, and plot (of which foreshadowing is only kind of clue).

So isn't it just a fancy name being applied to what one would do anyway?
You're right. Names for lit techniques aren't really needed 99+ percent of the time when we write. I doubt Shakespeare or Jane Austen or Herman Melville even heard of them. They just automatically and intuitively applied them, gotten from a lifetime of consuming stories of all kinds and storing them in their subconscious. Nor do we need them when we create.

Where I find them most useful is when I critique my writing. I do that every page or three, when I sit back and re-read what I just wrote. And after I've finished a complete story. That's when I notice problems, large and small.

It helps then to have a name for a literary technique because they recall to me all the discussions of it I've ever come across, often from AW forums. And suggestions of how to fix the problem.

Last edited:

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like every good book and every good author I've ever read does this.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
I probably misunderstand, but if not, that's kind of what I like to read.

It reminds me of my favorite author, Michael Crichton, who wrote Jurassic Park. He doesn't use too many details in his writing. There's no paragraph dedicated to describing the look of a tree, or the layout of the control room. He uses simple descriptions, and allows us to imagine the rest. And I love it.

Mostly because I don't believe it lends to a short book. His books are pretty long. But they're filled with cool scientific ideas, and room for tension and plot to progress. He puts me on a ride and controls it himself. I feel other authors flip this around (like King), where there's so many words dedicated to the detail of the scene, that we're forced to see what he sees, while the pacing of his plot suffers.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
... [Michael Crichton] uses simple descriptions, and allows us to imagine the rest ... I love it ... because I don't believe it lends to a short book. His books are pretty long. But they're filled with ....
I've read several interviews with my favorite authors who said much the same as you do about writing compactly but vividly. They select one or a few details which are especially evocative. Because the details come from our reader's memories and imaginations they are very complex and convincing.

This leads to compact writing. We can use this economy to make shorter books. OR as your fave writer does, fit in more stuff.