Do hogs actually eat dead human bodies?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's getting on near dinner time, and the stomach was growling in hunger, but this thread sure solved that problem! LOL

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Hannibal (the book, I can't remember how much was in the movie) goes into great detail on this subject btw.

Last edited:

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
It's not just hogs either. A lot of otherwise perfectly happy herbivores like deer or tortoises will nibble a carcass if they come across it. Butterflies even. But unlike hogs these are unlikely to eat the lot. Still, I never quite looked the same way at deer since seeing that one pic of a deer with a human rib sticking from its mouth, looking straight at the camera. That shot was even taken in a actual study to see what sort of animals would snack on a human carcass. Oh yeah, Bambi will happily take a bite...

It's the bones in carcasses that interest deer and other herbivores. They're a source of minerals, sort of like a salt lick. The phenomenon of herbivores eating bones is well enough documented to have a name: osteophagia. Of course, they sometimes do eat more than the bones. I recently read a book by the recently retired Curator of Education at the Bronx Zoo, who recounts the startling scene of watching a giraffe munch its way through a whole pigeon (presumably grabbed from a tree branch), feathers, flesh, bones and all. There's a mention in another post of Lammergeiers (German for Lamb Vultures; the English common name is Bearded Vultures), vultures that actually eat bones. It might be worth noting that they don't sit and munch on the bones at the carcass--they take the bones up in the air and smash them into bits by dropping them onto rocks and then eating the shattered results.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*makes note of correct English name for lammergeier*

Huh, I was so sure English used lammergeier too, but at least now that clears up what a bearded vulture looks like. :tongue We live and learn.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive how they deal with bones. It's apparently not an easy skill either, they have to look for a good smashing sites and account for things like windspeed and such or the bone won't break right.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
*makes note of correct English name for lammergeier*

Huh, I was so sure English used lammergeier too, but at least now that clears up what a bearded vulture looks like. :tongue We live and learn.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive how they deal with bones. It's apparently not an easy skill either, they have to look for a good smashing sites and account for things like windspeed and such or the bone won't break right.

There are really no rules when it comes to common names. I've heard/seen the German name used by English speakers. There is also another archaic common name, ossifrage, from the Latin, which shows up in some more old-fashioned English translations of the Bible.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
WARNING: Grossout ahead

I have a pet squirrel, and she eschews any and all meat (I've offered it to her occasionally just to see what she would do).

That is, she DID. THen one day, through a series of bizarre circumstances, she came face to face with a pinkie newborn wild mouse. For the first sniff or two, as it squirmed and made tiny sucking noises at her, I thought her interest was maternal in some way. Then she grabbed it and scarfed it down, bones and all, in about 30 seconds flat, like it was a big old candy bar.

Sooo gross... Poor little mouse. :(

Last edited: