• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My Brain Hates Me Right Now...Writer's Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. When i'm not brainstorming and working on originals, I'm writing fan fiction. I prioritize the voices of the characters currently in existence in the franchise because I use them as exercises of consistent voice in stories. I usually am working with an OC, but I find this super helpful with practice.

That aside, i'm currently struggling with a piece of fan fiction. I wanna slam my head against the wall. Right now, i'm working with so many subplots. All important aspects, of course, and necessary. But my brain is freaking out because there's so many. And the fan fiction follows the storyline of the one part of the franchise, but doesn't focus on what's happening on screen...more of a off screen thing.

I'm trying to step back and plan the whole thing. But I come up with something to help with one of my plots, write it down and stay stuck for the next few days.

Anyway, my brain has decided to shut down. It doesn't like all these subplots. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with many subplots? And getting over writer's block?

Last edited:

NealM

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure I understand your problem, but it has something to do with keeping track of subplots and/or weaving them together, yes? You might try making a chart or spreadsheet. In the first vertical column write "Chap. 1, Chap. 2, Chap. 3, etc." or however you have decided to break it up. Across the top, write the name of certain characters (or whatever is the focus of each of the different subplots). Then you can fill in all the major beats while keeping organized (and visual) track of what's going on and when. You'll end up with an easy way to cross reference everything. In chapter 1 THIS is happening. Meanwhile character A is doing THIS, elsewhere character B is doing THIS, and way over here character C is doing THIS. In chapter 2 THIS is happening. Meanwhile character A is doing THIS... etc.

Hopefully I explained that well. Also, like I said up top, I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem correctly, so maybe what I just laid out isn't helpful at all. :/

NealM

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure I understand your problem, but it has something to do with keeping track of subplots and/or weaving them together, yes? You might try making a chart or spreadsheet. In the first vertical column write "Chap. 1, Chap. 2, Chap. 3, etc." or however you have decided to break it up. Across the top, write the name of certain characters (or whatever is the focus of each of the different subplots). Then you can fill in all the major beats while keeping organized (and visual) track of what's going on and when. You'll end up with an easy way to cross reference everything. In chapter 1 THIS is happening. Meanwhile character A is doing THIS, elsewhere character B is doing THIS, and way over here character C is doing THIS. In chapter 2 THIS is happening. Meanwhile character A is doing THIS... etc.

Hopefully I explained that well. Also, like I said up top, I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem correctly, so maybe what I just laid out isn't helpful at all. :/

I just wasted a bunch of time writing all this out when I could have just shared this image of JK Rowling doing exactly what I just poorly tried to explain...
http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/...rry-potter-with-a-hand-drawn-spreadsheet.html

Status
Not open for further replies.