• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] New York Tyrant Books

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

I'd note the same author tweeted about being blocked weeks ago by the publisher. So, he's angry that an agent actually made him honour the deal he'd initially agreed (to give higher royalties instead of an advance). And now blames that for the author no longer being his friend.

It's almost like friends don't like being told their writing is worthless and that you descended from on high to make it a success. Who could have known that being terrible to your friends would stop them liking you?

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wager a small amount that Tyrant is trolling/garnering publicity under the "any publicity is good publicity" school of thought. Couldn't say for sure, and of course it's still a red flag. Trolling this way would fit their vibe, though. I mean, their logo is 1980s James Spader in Pretty in Pink, right?

Reputable publishers generally do not lack for submissions.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Reputable publishers generally do not lack for submissions.

Agreed, though since Tyrant was already closed to unsolicited submissions, I'm not sure it was after submissions.

I'm in no way defending Tyrant. Generally I try to consider whether trolling is a factor because it changes how much attention I give/what effort I make to respond.

According to the Daily Dot, Tyrant says this stunt increased its sales.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust that it did. It's standard for anyone who runs a controversial campaign of some sort to boast about how they're laughing all the way to the bank. It's a defence mechanism - some of them may believe it, others are just trying to keep the troll a'rolling.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This whole thing is just a public playground fight. Tyrant's 3rd tweet in the string says it all
Tyrant’s entire history is finding unknown writers in my friends, publishing them, making them famous, then an agent comes along and destroys the friendship .
He only publishes his friends, which explains "not open to unsolicited manuscripts."

Of course, now he's blowing up his friendships. He strikes me as a troubled individual, and I hope he can find some help for whatever is going on--whether it's the coke he alludes to or whatever else. In the meantime, probably take Tyrant off your "Possibles" list for submissions. ;)

As an aside, I thought this sub-thread was good for a :O and a chuckle. Rando writer takes a swipe at an editor, then boom! This is the big reveal in the middle. Be sure to read up and down... And then never, ever be "that" writer. :greenie

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, I thought this sub-thread was good for a :O and a chuckle. Rando writer takes a swipe at an editor, then boom! This is the big reveal in the middle. Be sure to read up and down... And then never, ever be "that" writer. :greenie

I'll bet that writer's agent is doing a bit of *headdesk* today over that. Sheesh.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

I... do not understand why "that" writer decided to be so publicly hostile about agents considering her own background.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
And the same Editor appearing in your twitter link Aggy, was blocked by a pretty big name Author after she came to Tyrant's defence. WHY would she DO that!!!

The whole thing has me completely confused, what is this Tyrant guy smoking?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
And the same Editor appearing in your twitter link Aggy, was blocked by a pretty big name Author after she came to Tyrant's defence. WHY would she DO that!!!

The whole thing has me completely confused, what is this Tyrant guy smoking?

I went back through trying to find that part (after seeing some references back to it today) and I guess Big Name Author must have deleted a few key tweets and destroyed the evidence.

Oh never mind, I mistakenly looked at the wrong part of timeline.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
She also has a graphic photo of a dead cat as her Twitter header. o_O

It also appears her first two books were published by very niche presses so she felt the need to defend Tyrant from the gatekeepers minions. Or something. But yeah. Don't visit her Twitter page.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
JJ, I hesitate to use writer's names in here but I only read about this OTHER well known writer blocking the Editor in question on HIS twitter feed. Didn't catch the interaction in any of the Tyrant tweet's. The HT Editor was accused of "Mansplaining" I gather. I read his comment as only an attempt to help and warn writers (male or female) It's insane but the Tyrant owner either is looking to boost book sales or he truly hates Agents and thinks they are the ones responsible for his losing his "friends", his better selling Authors.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About the only thing I'm getting in all of this is this "editor" is a jackass. These Twitter threads make no sense to me and the confusion is only distressing me. I hate coming into these things where I'm expected to know the "big names" and I've never heard of anybody.

*exeunt*

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Glad there is a thread for this here. This is nutso stuff, I tell you (and I missed the dick pic)

They're apparently trying to imply they don't want agent submission because they don't want to status quo, they want projects no one else will publish. But that doesn't remotely explain why you'd have to drop your agent if they offer. That's just... yeah.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Which, from what I've seen on this site, makes no sense. Apparently there are agents who've had books they like, but that are too 'whatever' for publishers to touch. Why wouldn't Tyrant get word to those agents that they're looking for that kind of stuff? Unless what they're looking for is suckers?

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I hate coming into these things where I'm expected to know the "big names" and I've never heard of anybody.

BenPanced, I never know most of the "big names" in the Adult novels either, since I'm in Kidlit but just judging by the number of twitter followers of the Author that blocked the Harliquine Teen Editor, she's big enough:)
The Tyrant owner/editor seems fixated on how those greedy Agents wanting "bigger cuts" have ruined his friendships and his life and there's no telling him differently. I just can't imagine he gets inundated by Agent submissions period, let alone so many that he feels the need to announce STOP IT to the lit world. If he did this looking to start a buzz about his press though, he certainly did that.