• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] New York Tyrant Books

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Sorry if wrong forum. Just saw this on twitter and wondered what AWers think of it.

"Dear agents, please stop sending inquiries to Tyrant. We no longer consider agented writers. Writers w/agents: feel free to send, just know you have to drop your agent if we want to sign you. Thanks,
Tyrant staff"

From New York Tyrant Books. (edit: I've never heard of them, they seem to mostly print t shirts?_? Or something.)

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hm.

Their web site says "We are not currently looking for unsolicited submissions for publication at Tyrant Books." So all those folks crowing on Twitter about being able to bypass the agenting process are maybe prematurely optimistic.

My initial response would be to assume that they're looking to get books on terms that are not favorable to the author.

I'm thinking maybe this thread belongs in Bewares.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it did or not. But if an admin could move I will send internet vibes of great gratefulness their way ;-)

I also had a peek at their website (in case they said anything more about it there). I guess they just don't want submissions?

They did respond in comments to say that a contract lawyer (or something) was okay to have.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be happy to move it if you like, Harlequin. Though I did kinda look forward to a discussion of this "publisher" here in RT.

I wonder if New York Tyrant Books is still a one-man operation. In any case, here's a little something for your reading pleasure from the Los Angeles Review of Books.

Oh, yes, and this really is a major red flag when considering publishers.

Moving to Bewares. Hands and feet in the car while in motion. See ya at the other end.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
They did respond in comments to say that a contract lawyer (or something) was okay to have.

A contract lawyer can tell you what you're signing, but they can't tell you if it's an industry-standard publishing contract.

An agent is the one who should have the experience to know what kinds of rights reversion conditions, exclusivity clauses, rights to future work, etc. are best for you and your career, and they can argue those points with the publisher. A lawyer can only tell you that they're there.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it'd be one thing if they said, "Hey, authors, no need for an agent to submit to us." It's another to say, "We won't accept agented work at all. Drop your agent."

They'll probably appeal to those authors who honestly believe that agents are gatekeepers who stop them from getting published.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, they are getting hammered on Twitter, now. Oh, Twitter, you wonderful cesspool....

They're also doubling down, and retweeting all the misinformation about agents and publishers, so this wasn't some unfortunate misunderstanding where they did a very bad job of articulating that they were closing to subs for awhile.

This was an active hanging out of the "Run Away Fast" sign. And while I'm not usually a fan of Twitter pile-ons a.) this is a business, you take the risk, and b.) it'll amplify loud enough to warn off new writers... or at least, new writers who are on Twitter, anyway (which not everyone is--nobody on Twitter will ever realize this).

Oh, Twitter, you enabler of a multitude of sins.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I submitted a story to their journal years ago. As that 2013 LARB piece points out, they had a rep for publishing great, challenging writers — literary on the experimental side. No idea what's going on with them now, but this doesn't seem good, except for clicks.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Some writer will inevitability be let down by the agent system, or system in general, but flat out banning agents recalls to mind the cliché about cutting off one's nose. Working around that seems better.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oh, they are getting hammered on Twitter, now. Oh, Twitter, you wonderful cesspool....

And that thread doesn't even show the tons of quote-RTs with warnings and admonishments. I just saw Victoria Strauss taking them to task.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
"Sheep, feel free to join our flock. You can't bring your sheepdog, though." -Definitely Not Wolves

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wager a small amount that Tyrant is trolling/garnering publicity under the "any publicity is good publicity" school of thought. Couldn't say for sure, and of course it's still a red flag. Trolling this way would fit their vibe, though. I mean, their logo is 1980s James Spader in Pretty in Pink, right?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Avoid like the plague. There is no legitimate reason to do this unless 1) They are wanting to screw over and exploit authors, or (or along with) 2) They are throwing a hissy fit because agents won't look at their own substandard fiction, not professional at all. Judging from their Twitter feed you wouldn't want to work with anyway, ever.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Never heard of them before now, so I must admit the 'no such thing as bad publicity' angle is working for them that way.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like someone's having a rough Thanksgiving.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
And the dick pic. OMG. I'm literally eating popcorn while reading through their feed. (Fishers caramel corn but still).

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
All seems a bit tragic for a publisher who has published good writers.

Maybe the whiskey got hold of his twitter machine... :Shrug:

Last edited: