• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pandrea Publishing / P&rea Publishing (Liviu Pandrea)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I am suspecting a scam after getting a form letter from a Liviu Pandrea who claims to be "a huge fantasy fan."

"Three years ago, I founded a boutique publishing house to help Romanian authors reach a broader audience by tapping into the global market and currently, we are in the go to market process with our first fantasy project (fingers crossed)"

While he supplied a page count, not word count, and an email, he failed to put in the website of this house. I replied with short questions on payment, word count, how payment is to be made, etc.

I found this site associated with the name and it doesn't look to be much into publishing epic fantasy books.

https://www.cgsinc.com/en/people/liviu-pandrea

Thought I should post about this in case he contacts other editors. For all I know the name could be as common as "John Smith" in other parts of the world.

UPDATE: Still no website, but they sent a 4-page PDF promising to "payed" me if I take their 8K-word editing test, again, no mention of how much.

The rest of the text initially reads as though written by a publisher, then it sounds like the writer talking. For a publisher, they are not familiar with the scope of a copy editor's job or its limits.

I am suspecting this is another writer forming a "publishing house" to get his book out. Nothing wrong with that, but after claiming three years of being open he needs to have a website up. If it is a lone writer wanting to publish, then just hire an editor for the job, don't pretend that it's going to be a long term work thing.

Backing away from this one. I need the money, but my gut says it will be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan Nobody

Perpetual padawan
Registered
Reaction score
I am a Romanian writer, this subject retained my curiosity. I know by name the publishers on the market, including the start-ups. Never heard of Liviu Pandrea.

On the other hand, there is a language barrier on translating Romanian writings into English; authors & publishers are seeking native editors to be sure that their books (some probably good in original Romanian) can be adapted to English at a satisfactory level. I know that because I am one of them. :)

Maybe is a person who is not active yet on the market, but intends to offer such services in the future „to help Romanian authors reach a broader audience by tapping into the global market”. Dreaming of making money from such opportunity.

In my opinion, your decision is correct. And sharing the info is also a good thing, thanks.

Last edited: