Defining the differences between romance, steamy romance, erotic romance, and erotica

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Those look about right to me. The best way I've heard erotic romance described is, "If you take the sex out of the story, does the plot fall apart? Then it's erotic romance." The character's or characters' sexual journey(s) tie into the emotional journey.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I would say Steamy Romance is Erotic Romance mild. All romance, to me, has a HEA or HFN ending. Most importantly, it concerns a couple and their journey.

Erotica, in contrast, does not necessarily have to be about a couple. It can be a solo journey, or a journey with many sex partners, and that journey does not have to end with the main character partnered up.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I would say Steamy Romance is Erotic Romance mild. All romance, to me, has a HEA or HFN ending. Most importantly, it concerns a couple and their journey.

Erotica, in contrast, does not necessarily have to be about a couple. It can be a solo journey, or a journey with many sex partners, and that journey does not have to end with the main character partnered up.

I'd say that this is a pretty good definition. Erotica isn't about sex as a representation of love or personal relationship; it's about sex per se.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Peeking in at this thread - it's interesting even though I have no intention (or probably ability) to write these sorts of works. I had to look up what HEA and HFN means. My wife likes to read what she calls 'zany girl adventures' (she's not very politically correct), and prefers the comedy aspect the characters get into over the bedroom stuff (her words).
Anyway - this thread is an interesting read for me. Thanks.

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
If I write a memoir which is like and Erotic Romance (sex drives the plot, but love also a big issue, with HFN ending) - is it an erotic romance memoir, or is it just memoir?

Can an Erotic Romance (or erotic romance memoir) contain sex that is bad/boring occasionally or do all the sex scenes have to be titillating?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If I write a memoir which is like and Erotic Romance (sex drives the plot, but love also a big issue, with HFN ending) - is it an erotic romance memoir, or is it just memoir?

Can an Erotic Romance (or erotic romance memoir) contain sex that is bad/boring occasionally or do all the sex scenes have to be titillating?

A memoir is a memoir. It's not fiction. It's a recounting of actual incidents.

I wouldn't call it an erotic romance, since that implies it's a genre romance novel, and fiction.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Then I read some other people ranting about how, at least for anything linked to romance, sex = must equal pleasure = must equal goodness

Not necessarily. I've read a few sex scenes, in romance, that at least one participant didn't enjoy.

That said, if the main characters of a romance consistently have dissatisfying sex, I'd say there's a problem, both for them and for the readers.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Not necessarily. I've read a few sex scenes, in romance, that at least one participant didn't enjoy.

That said, if the main characters of a romance consistently have dissatisfying sex, I'd say there's a problem, both for them and for the readers.

This. I just finished a book yesterday where my characters try to have sex, but stop halfway through because some emotional baggage gets in the way. I've written and read a few where characters don't finish, or their heart isn't in it for some reason, etc. Sex scenes are great places for some heavy emotional development -- especially for emotions characters have been trying to hide or ignore to come to the surface -- so they're definitely not always about pleasure.