What if my novel is set in a place that resembles one from a famous book, but the story's different?

semantica

Registered
Reaction score
I have an embarrassing question.

One of my readers told me the map I’m using for my Fantasy debut novel looks a lot like the arena from a famous trilogy. It has force fields, a center area surrounded by another force field, and 16 sections, while the existing novel has 12 sections, force fields and also central area. You can probably guess which one is it just by this description. Aside from that, my story is completely different. It’s just a design I made to keep 16 groups of people that are fighting each other separated, while the main antagonist is located in the center.

Should I be worried about it? I could probably change it and not make it circular, but I'd have to recalculate distances and rewrite parts of the story. Plus, a circular terrain like this is a better setting for my novel.

Also, I see the irony in posting a similar topic to an existing thread in this forum (Fear of duplicate ideas). Hopefully this one is specific enough to be allowed.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would not worry about it in the least. I might consider renaming the force fields something else and make the way they work unlike the other books' details--if theirs shimmer, maybe yours pulse or emit a low electrical buzz, like that.

But to have a circle in segments, each keeping its population separate by means of a wall, shield, force field, whatever, with a central area is hardly copyrighted. It's a common design in prisons and nursing homes, each segment a group of cells or rooms.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^^^ agree, it's like having a castle in a novel....nothing wrong with numerous authors having dungeons and turrets, and from what you describe it sounds very different from the trilogy I'm assuming you are speaking of.

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
One thing you could do is have something more retro than force fields holding in the challengers, like regular bars or something. Just because a tech exists doesn't mean it will be used in every possible circumstance, I certainly don't have an escalator in my house. Another possibility is describing the things that you didn't mention about the original so differently that people don't notice the similarities. Like if the original is made of marble, yours can have steel walls with lights in them or something.

semantica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. The maps from above do look similar, but, as I said, the story are nothing at all related.

One of my fears is that people on the internet would complain about the similarities and judge my book solely on that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. The maps from above do look similar, but, as I said, the story are nothing at all related.

One of my fears is that people on the internet would complain about the similarities and judge my book solely on that.
Only fools are likely to make that kind of judgment.

You could, of course, change your design ever so slightly. Maybe instead of straight-line wedges surrounding a center circle, there's a central octagon and your sixteen segments have curved sides, like a hypnotic swirl design. Or the sides zigzag like stairs laid on their ends.

But I still think you're okay with the concept as it stands now.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Did you create your arena after reading the trilogy, or seeing the movies based on it? If it was a completely independent creation then I'd worry about it less, although I might try to make mine more unique.

But if you were familiar with the earlier work, it may have influenced your setting (even without you realizing it). Depending on the similarities and how protective the original author/publisher is, that could be a problem worth consulting a copyright lawyer about.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Oh please, the amount of things Hunger Games took from the movie Battle Royale is sublime haha.

Having an arena in sections isn't anything new, and a fine set piece to use.

That said, a "force field" is a little tricky. That concept is unique to Hunger Games in that reference, so by using it yourself, in an arena, might cause speculation. I'd try changing it to something a little more unique.

Perhaps when you get close, a surge of lighting funnels down, making it impossible to get close. Or a gust of wind. OR, what would be interestingly unique, is if your arena is raised. So the edges are actually endless cliffs, making your arena almost feel as if its floating in the sky--this would really be unique enough that people wouldn't even think about Hunger Games.

Just some ideas.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think the twist to the Catching Fire arena was more the "clock" arrangement and the rotation of the threats.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I have an embarrassing question.

One of my readers told me the map I’m using for my Fantasy debut novel looks a lot like the arena from a famous trilogy. It has force fields, a center area surrounded by another force field, and 16 sections, while the existing novel has 12 sections, force fields and also central area. You can probably guess which one is it just by this description. Aside from that, my story is completely different. It’s just a design I made to keep 16 groups of people that are fighting each other separated, while the main antagonist is located in the center.

Should I be worried about it? I could probably change it and not make it circular, but I'd have to recalculate distances and rewrite parts of the story. Plus, a circular terrain like this is a better setting for my novel.

Also, I see the irony in posting a similar topic to an existing thread in this forum (Fear of duplicate ideas). Hopefully this one is specific enough to be allowed.

sort of how Shadow of the Torturer was kind of set in Jack Vance's Dying Earth? >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please, the amount of things Hunger Games took from the movie Battle Royale is sublime haha.

that's pretty much why I didn't read/watch them! Would have just spoilt my enjoyment of Battle Royale.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I just read a book that had a city under a dome with 16 or so areas sectioned off within the circle. I think there was even a section in the center that was it's own area. It came out this year, so I think you're fine.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There may not be any legal issue, but it is still possible to be excessively derivative. The very fact that you are concerned about the possibility is a bit of a red flag. See what James D. MacDonald said above.

caw

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
There may not be any legal issue, but it is still possible to be excessively derivative. The very fact that you are concerned about the possibility is a bit of a red flag. See what James D. MacDonald said above.

caw

Maybe it will be excessively derivative. If OP really wants to write it, though, it'll be good experience, and maybe novel #2 will be more awesome for it.