Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Scrivener 3 for macOS is out

Scrivener 3 for macOS is out

• Just released. The details page is here.
    • $25.00 for existing customers who are upgrading; $45.00 for new customers. There's a free 30 day trial.
    • You can email Literature and Latte your App store receipt if you want a coupon to upgrade at the $25.00 price.
    • Scrivener 3 for macOS 10.12 or later; that means Sierra or later.
    • The updated Windows version is coming; but if you buy the Windows version now, you'll have a free upgrade when it's released.
    • If you're a NaNoWriMo winner, you'll be able to use your Scrivener discount offer.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 12-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.

I am dying to try this, but I am nervous about doing it right in the middle of a draft!
    December goals:

1. WIP outline/integration of notes
    2. Revise first 1/3 of WIP
    3. At least 2 blog posts
    4. Progress on side projects
    5. Other WIP, if applicable

Goodreads giveaway for THE COLD BETWEEN - US, UK, Canada, Australia - December 11, 2017 - December 19, 2017

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I've been hesitating to upgrade to High Sierra... maybe I will after all.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    I've been hesitating to upgrade to High Sierra... maybe I will after all.
    FWIW I upgraded a 2013 MBP last week and I haven't noticed any issues. That said, I haven't noticed any differences either, so YMMV.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Goodreads giveaway for THE COLD BETWEEN - US, UK, Canada, Australia - December 11, 2017 - December 19, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    I am dying to try this, but I am nervous about doing it right in the middle of a draft!
    It'll be there later, and you can wait for the kinks to be worked out; I'm waiting.

There's a Take Control of Scrivener 3 book out today as well (that's an AW affiliate link).

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    MacOS 10.12 is Sierra. High Sierra is 10.13. If you already have Sierra, no need to rush out and upgrade it just for Scrivener.

If you already have Scrivener 1 or 2, be aware that Scrivener 3 uses a new file format and is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. Once you've opened a Scrivener file in 3, you can no longer use it in older versions.

What this means for me: One of the machines I use for writing (my beloved MacBook Air!) is old and feeble by modern standards and will never get an OS newer than Yosemite. That means it's never going to get Scrivener 3 either. So as long as I continue to use that machine for writing my main system isn't getting Scrivener 3 either. Though it looks awfully spiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by benbenberi View Post
    MacOS 10.12 is Sierra. High Sierra is 10.13. If you already have Sierra, no need to rush out and upgrade it just for Scrivener.

If you already have Scrivener 1 or 2, be aware that Scrivener 3 uses a new file format and is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. Once you've opened a Scrivener file in 3, you can no longer use it in older versions.

What this means for me: One of the machines I use for writing (my beloved MacBook Air!) is old and feeble by modern standards and will never get an OS newer than Yosemite. That means it's never going to get Scrivener 3 either. So as long as I continue to use that machine for writing my main system isn't getting Scrivener 3 either. Though it looks awfully spiffy.
    There's a Save As Scrivener 2 option. It seems two work fine for exporting to Scrivener 2 for macOS or Windows.

Just upgraded. So far so good! Except the progress bar no longer changes color and I'm BUMMED. I really liked changing the bar to green. It was a great incentive for my brain!

On the other hand, I can see the progress in the title bar on the page, so there is that.
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Just upgraded. So far so good! Except the progress bar no longer changes color and I'm BUMMED. I really liked changing the bar to green. It was a great incentive for my brain!

On the other hand, I can see the progress in the title bar on the page, so there is that.
    Belay that! I figured out how to make it change colors again. There's an appearance preference for target progress bars. And you can pick your colors!

But even more importantly... Scrivener 3 closes a quote after an em-dash properly!

But even more importantly... Scrivener 3 closes a quote after an em-dash properly!
    Okay, now I have to upgrade.

Of course I've grown so used to fixing this as I type that I'm going to screw it up for at least a week.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

I can recommend this book: Take Control of Scrivener 3.

That's an AW affiliate link. And so is this link for buying Scrivener 3.