Hello, AW!

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
Hi, everyone! I'm new here (obviously) and wanted to introduce myself. I hope with time to make some friends and be a valuable, contributing member to the AW society. As a mother of five, my current forum experience is generally more in the parenting arena, and I'm pretty excited to join a group that focuses on all aspects of my favorite pastime—writing!
I am an avid consumer of sci-fi and fantasy in all its forms. I've watched every episode of Star Trek and wait impatiently amongst the throng for the release of the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. My list of credentials is somewhat unimpressive, as most of my time is consumed with family life. I've written copy and articles for several businesses and emags, wrote a novel in college that I self-published as gifts for family and now, much older and wiser, hate. I had an unhealthy obsession with the Final Fantasy online games and had to cut myself off in order to make sure my adulting responsibilities didn't get neglected. In short, I am an introverted nerd! Over the summer my husband and I worked out a way for me to have time to write daily, and it has been such a thrilling journey thus far. I guess that's enough random facts about myself, I'd like to go read some random facts about others now! I can't wait to learn more about people here and hopefully be helpful where I can. Thanks for having me!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
Thanks so much, Regdog! I was perusing the other new member posts, and saw this reply a lot. And it made me so happy on the one hand (at least I know I'll get one reply, hurray!) and so scared on the other (what if Regdog does not find me worthy and I'm left languishing in solitude?) Edited to Add: I have never tried flash fiction, and it sounds quite exciting. I've always wanted to participate in or be surprised by a flash mob performance. I imagine flash fiction can be just as exciting, only in a different, I'm-not-in-the-middle-of-the-mall-surrounded-by-choreographed-dancers kind of way. Thanks for pointing me towards excitement! Onward!

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, RenchiDoodle! Here is a second reply. :)

This was the first forum I ever joined, and I also found it nerve-wracking! It may be quiet around here this week due to holidays and NaNoWriMo.

Look forward to seeing you around.

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
Thanks Anna Iguana! I look forward to seeing you around, as well! Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? If so, I wish you well! Thanks for popping in to lift my spirits!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Renchi. Don't sell the rich experience of raising a family short. After their mom passed away in '75, I taught in the same school system and looked after three (I think five would've killed me off :greenie).

:welcome: from a fellow Trekkie reader.

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
Thanks for the welcome, Chase! I by no means am trying to marginalize raising my family, so please don't think ill of me! It's awesome, fun, and a whirl-wind of adventure. But it dominates so much of my life that I was just trying to say, it's nice to also talk about something else once in a while :) Five is not so bad, once you hit four and have more kids then hands, it really becomes a survival game, though, haha :) We homeschool, as well, so I see a lot of them!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Renchi :hi: :welcome: Hope you enjoy it here. Might see you over in the Flash forum. (Ooh, we can break into :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:on the unsuspecting.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :Sun:

ETA: Would you like some coffee? I'm making coffee...

Last edited:

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
I think I replied to the same message twice, my fault, entirely

- - - Updated - - -

I have not found the emotes yet but I will, and I’m the meantime these dancing snoopys make my heart smile!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi RenchiDoodle,
Welcome! Hope you find tonnes of cool stuff on the AW forums :) Lots of really good book recommendations and writing advice all over the place so I am sure you will find a lot of it useful.

rebeccabeck

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another newbie :) My sister just had her 5th kid :) I'm sure your hands are full! Good for you for making time to write!

RachelVictor

Weirdo Mountain Punk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
From one introverted nerd to another, welcome to AW! I've also struggled with balancing writing time & gaming time (because lets be honest, you get sucked into a game then suddenly its 5 hours later and oh shit you have to go to bed or feed someone or feed yourself. lol). And props to you for adding such a large family into the mix! I'm glad you figured out how to designate some writing time daily (I'm still not there yet)!

Aywho, just thought I'd say hi!