Amazon Author Page(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Banned
Reaction score
Having your photo on your Amazon Author's page is a big plus, and not having one can be a millstone that drags you to the bottom of the pond posthaste.

Thoughts, please, on how to handle photos for two or more author pages for pseudonyms writing different genres.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Says who?

But to answer your question, the photo I use I put on bios is whitewashed and altered so it isn't recognizable as me. I would simply use another photo and degrade it in a different manner.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Having your photo on your Amazon Author's page is a big plus, and not having one can be a millstone that drags you to the bottom of the pond posthaste.

Thoughts, please, on how to handle photos for two or more author pages for pseudonyms writing different genres.

I'm not sure that's true. I tend to buy novels because of the story and writing, not because of the author's headshot.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
I've got pictures of me from different ages. One is professionally done, one is amateur. The professional one was highly retouched by the photographer...and I didn't argue.

Then there is also another question: is it critical that people never learn that author A and author B are both you? Or is it possible that those who go to THAT much trouble may actually be fans enough to cross over and read both?

I worked with an author who worked with kids books and erotica. THOSE needed to stay separate. LOL!

Having separate profiles to provide a consistent reader experience is great. But there are a lot of authors who look alike...just a thought.

MikeL

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's true. I tend to buy novels because of the story and writing, not because of the author's headshot.

Same here. Having an author pic isn't necessarily as important as good writing and fomatting.

Says who?

In a small unscientific poll, conducted prior to starting this thread, to discover the importance of having a photo on an author's page on Amazon or other platform, the results were conclusive:

• 90% of respondents said they expected to see a photo on a page about the author, and would probably not buy that author's book(s) if the photo was not present.
  • Of the 10% who said it didn't matter 100% were writers

Despite a small sample, it included females and males (60/40), ages 22-67, and with an annual income of less than $100,000. When asked why they wanted to see a photograph respondents said, basically, "The page is about the author no matter how many books he/she has written", and it makes them wonder what the writer is hiding if they can't/won't include that detail."

Considering the number of books with poor formatting, grammar, spelling, writing style, etc., sold on Amazon (based on any given book's standing as provided by Amazon on each book's sales page) the picture might just be the factor that saves some author's bacon. (Bacon! story idea!)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
In a small unscientific poll, conducted prior to starting this thread, to discover the importance of having a photo on an author's page on Amazon or other platform, the results were conclusive:

• 90% of respondents said they expected to see a photo on a page about the author, and would probably not buy that author's book(s) if the photo was not present.
  • Of the 10% who said it didn't matter 100% were writers

Despite a small sample, it included females and males (60/40), ages 22-67, and with an annual income of less than $100,000. When asked why they wanted to see a photograph respondents said, basically, "The page is about the author no matter how many books he/she has written", and it makes them wonder what the writer is hiding if they can't/won't include that detail."

Considering the number of books with poor formatting, grammar, spelling, writing style, etc., sold on Amazon (based on any given book's standing as provided by Amazon on each book's sales page) the picture might just be the factor that saves some author's bacon. (Bacon! story idea!)

Here's an alternative view with a bit more credibility than the poll you just made up: if so many books are published with poor formatting, grammar, spelling, writing style, etc, then maybe publishing one with good formatting etc is a better selling point than an author's photo.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to give people what they expect. My impression of author pages is that most have a photo. I wouldn't choose a book or author based on this, but that's really not the point. I believe in only fighting battles that are important. When I queried, I gave agents exactly what they asked for. I believe the same principle should apply to the Amazon page.

Hairstyle is one of the easiest things to change if you really want a different look for two photos. You could cut and/or color your hair. It's no big deal. The stuff grows whether you want it to or not. After you get the pics, you can recolor your hair if you miss the old color. And besides, it could be the impetus you need if you've always secretly wondered what you'd look like as a dark brunet(te). :)

Just a quick note if you decide to go this route--I would recommend a non-permanent hair color, which means going darker. Clairol makes one, but be advised. The stuff always comes out a shade or two darker than it shows on the bottle. Why they do this I have never been able to figure out. But my chestnut-ish colored hair comes out of a dark blonde bottle. Go figure.

Another AWer solved this problem with a dramatic hat and a pose that partly obscured their face. Something Forties-era would be a particularly appropriate if you write noir or that period of historical, but it's still a possibility even if you don't.

Last edited:

MikeL

Banned
Reaction score
Here's an alternative view with a bit more credibility than the poll you just made up: if so many books are published with poor formatting, grammar, spelling, writing style, etc, then maybe publishing one with good formatting etc is a better selling point than an author's photo.

I've reported your personal attack, but, like many others I've seen by you and your ilk, nothing will be done about it except to gang up on the new guy.

I'm out of here. This is not a forum for writers, just a forum for ass holes who think they're better than everybody else.'

Fuck you, shit head.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've reported your personal attack, but, like many others I've seen by you and your ilk, nothing will be done about it except to gang up on the new guy.

I'm out of here. This is not a forum for writers, just a forum for ass holes who think they're better than everybody else.'

Fuck you, shit head.

I'm leaving this so people will see what a charmer you are—and why you're banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.