agent offering feedback after revise and resubmit request

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
So I recently got an R&R from an agent. We chatted on the phone and we were in agreement on what needed to be changed and what was already working. She said to resubmit to her after revisions (if i wanted) and that I could email her to bounce ideas throughout the process. While that is incredibly generous of her (!), I don't want to abuse her generosity by emailing too much. I was thinking one email to thank her, confirm I would revise, and list some ideas as to how I would approach her requests in the WIP. Does anyone else have some experience with non-agented revisions where the agent has offered this kind of support? I realize I may have hit the jackpot here and I don't want to muck it up!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I'm interested to hear answers to this as I'm in a similar boat… but you're very lucky the agent has made it clear to you that you can ask questions and get further guidance! I didn't receive the same go-ahead, and don't feel like I can ask to clarify that (since it's not a sealed deal yet), so I'm working only with the suggestions provided.

I'd say, if there's something that's ambiguous about the revision suggestions, you should definitely get clarity on that rather than taking the MS in the wrong direction. But if it's all clear and you're excited to get started, don't be too needy unless you hit an obstacle you can't conquer on your own. My 2¢ :)

Is your revision exclusive with this agent?

Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
This is great news! Did the agent call just to talk over the R&R or did she also express a strong interest in repping you? I ask because I was sort of in a similar situation. During the call I said I would be uncomfortable doing a major revision unless I was under contract. She said ok, and the paperworks was on the way! And she's gone above and beyond ever since. But before the call, she stated a strong interest in repping, so maybe my position was different going in.

Sorry, back to your awesome situation. I'd say definitely ask any questions as briefly as possible and only mail her during the rewrite if you truly have big questions.. Then a reminder mail when you"re about to resub.

She's being hugely generous, yes, but try not to worry about mucking anything up! Think of it as an honor and a learning experience. Whatever happens, you're getting free advice from a pro. You'll grow as a writer and your book will get better.

Good luck!

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
This is great news! Did the agent call just to talk over the R&R or did she also express a strong interest in repping you? I ask because I was sort of in a similar situation. During the call I said I would be uncomfortable doing a major revision unless I was under contract. She said ok, and the paperworks was on the way! And she's gone above and beyond ever since. But before the call, she stated a strong interest in repping, so maybe my position was different going in.

Sorry, back to your awesome situation. I'd say definitely ask any questions as briefly as possible and only mail her during the rewrite if you truly have big questions.. Then a reminder mail when you"re about to resub.

She's being hugely generous, yes, but try not to worry about mucking anything up! Think of it as an honor and a learning experience. Whatever happens, you're getting free advice from a pro. You'll grow as a writer and your book will get better.

Good luck!

All she said was that she couldn't offer rep yet but continued to talk revisions. That's really awesome of you to be so forthright! I salute you! Thanks for your insights!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since she has specifically offered to bounce ideas with you, I say do it. One of the biggest problems I find with R&Rs is not understanding what exactly the agent or editor wanted when they made a crit or suggestion. Also, if the actual suggestion they make doesn't work for you, but the underlying problem is one you're willing to deal with, it gives you the chance to talk it over, so you can feel secure about the change you want to make and they are prepared to receive it.

I really like your approach, where you thank her and go over your plan in an e-mail. Keep the conversation open to further suggestions from her beyond what you have talked about, and also to allow you to contact her if you have an idea or hit a snag and want to go over the options.

R&Rs are great. They are not guarantees, even if you do everything the agent asks. But it's an excellent sign, and her willingness to work on it with you suggests she really loves something about your novel and just wants to make sure it's marketable before taking it on. Good luck!

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear answers to this as I'm in a similar boat… but you're very lucky the agent has made it clear to you that you can ask questions and get further guidance! I didn't receive the same go-ahead, and don't feel like I can ask to clarify that (since it's not a sealed deal yet), so I'm working only with the suggestions provided.

I'd say, if there's something that's ambiguous about the revision suggestions, you should definitely get clarity on that rather than taking the MS in the wrong direction. But if it's all clear and you're excited to get started, don't be too needy unless you hit an obstacle you can't conquer on your own. My 2¢ :)

Is your revision exclusive with this agent?

Congratulations and good luck!

Thank you! I'm glad I'm asking something others are interested in as well! No exclusive but she was very complimentary of my work, short of offering rep. She is asking for a kinda major rewrite so she might just be seeing how well I take that kind of feedback or if I would even want to do it. But I am willing to make the changes because I agree with her critiques. Good luck on your rewrite too!

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I forgot to mention she may be seeing what it's like to work with you and how you take feedback. It sounds like you'll be just fine. You have a great attitude. Now do a great revision!

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I forgot to mention she may be seeing what it's like to work with you and how you take feedback. It sounds like you'll be just fine. You have a great attitude. Now do a great revision!

Thank you! I will try!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I had a long-term R&R with an agent who eventually offered me rep. Couple of thoughts:

1) Don't worry too much about etiquette. If you're not sure how often to email, whether or not she's open to questions, how often she wants to see updates, etc. - ASK HER. She's interested in your work. A few too many emails, or a few to few, aren't going to derail her.

2) As much as you don't want to put her off, pay attention to her behavior as well and how it makes you feel. Assuming she offers you rep at the end of all this, she's going to be your professional representative in the publishing world as well as your guide. You need to be able to trust her and be honest with her.

This is a thing I think many of us overlook while we're querying: we're so caught up in the supply-and-demand disparity that we forget a successful relationship means we will be paying this person to help us. You need to feel comfortable with her.

3) I'm big on listening to ideas when people tell me to revise, but I'd make sure you don't revise in ways you think aren't good for the story just because you're afraid of losing this nibble. If you like her thoughts and you're excited by how they'll improve your work, that's great! But if you're skeptical, think long and hard before making those changes. This is your work and it'll go out into the world with your name on it, not hers.

Best of luck to you!

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
@lizmonster -- Thank you! I am always worried about proper etiquette, mostly cause in real life I have none, haha. I appreciate your smart comments. I have gotten other revision ideas from other agents but they weren't what I really wanted for the book so I didn't pursue them. This one put her finger on exactly what I knew in my gut to be an issue with the story. And the things that were my "darlings" in my book were her darlings as well, which I think is always a good sign. I appreciate hearing your experience!

madjack

Registered
Reaction score
I have received the same type of support from an R&R agent this year - and she is amazing. Her comments were spot on so I did the first revision, then sent it back. After a couple of months, I heard back for a second revision and we even had a call about it. I haven't finished those yet (because I got into a contest and have been working on a different MS). But she offered the same awesome support to help work through it. :) I did read her comments from the first revision a million times before narrowing down my question, to I think one question. She sent me a couple of pages of feedback each time (plus the call the second time). Did I say she was amazing. :) I was worried about abusing the offer too, so that's why I read her notes a ton and actually made my own notes based on her notes. But I bet the agent means what she says as long as you don't send a ton of emails. :)

Last edited: