If you were approaching someone for a critique, how much money would you offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Writing Jedi said:
I wish I knew someone I could trust to critique it. I truly believe that anyone I know will be too soft on me.
Well, I don't know your friends, but I can tell you this hasn't been the case for me at all. While my sister has been supportive beyond all reasonability, she's also been more than happy to kick my sorry butt when it was needed. My friends vary-- I email P when I have a bruised ego, because she is, indeed, very soft on me. But she's in the minority. When I told them to be nitpicky and brutal, they enjoyed it thoroughly.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
reph said:
I don't know. When I'm hired to edit, I don't say "These people are nice enough to pay me, so I'd better keep my complaints to myself." I say "I'd better earn this money by calling their attention to whatever I find that needs it."
Hiring an editor and asking an acquaintance to look something over are very different things, as I see it. I was under the impression he was soliciting more a beta-reader critique thing.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
Hiring an editor and asking an acquaintance to look something over are very different things....
They're different, but in each case the person who was asked to critique has the job of critiquing, whether money is involved or not, as opposed to saying "Oh, this is fine. I'm sure they'll love it." The original poster proposed to pay his acquaintances or compensate them somehow, so his project is more like hiring an editor than like asking a friend for a favor.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
You're making the assumption that the english teacher and the librarian have the slightest clue how to read critically. It doesn't follow. Their advice is likely to be worth less than the price of a cup of coffee.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
One of my beta's will read if I watch her kids so she can go somewhere quiet and read. Another one works for dinner. As long as I invite her over regularly, or on occasions when she can't come, pack it up and freeze it she'll read anything I write..which is great because she does NOT like scary stuff (If I put a talking cow into a story...it is scary to her...cows don't talk.)

And my favorite beta used to read for kisses alone......now he wants peanut butter cookies, too. ( He likes them shaped like breasts. 'C')

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In terms of paid editors and favors from friends being different things--I guess I am uncomfirtable with agreements in neither camp... Friends are free and helpful, editors are impartial and qualified--aquaintances? Well, might end up being none of these things whether paid or not?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Betas can offer insight as readers, especially if they read the genres you write. Good betas should be honest, forthright, yet supportive. They shouldn't sugarcoat their critiques and should analyze the ms. from a reader's perspective. I wouldn't use a beta for "editorial" purposes.

There are a lot of opinions concerning paid editors. I think it's essential for a writer to learn how to self-edit. However, a professional editor who would give you your money's worth could be invaluable. The editor could give you professional insights that you would never in a million years realize. The editor could mentor you to become better, more objective, and more efficient in editing your own work (which CAN be very difficult to do).

If you happen to have a professional writer/editor friend who is critical but fair and would work for cookies, good for you. The bottom line is, don't settle for empty praises or baseless criticisms. Trust is the key here.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
In the past I've been very satisfied with a reasonably priced editor, who will do whatever you ask, line by line analysis or a broad overview of what works and what doesn't.

When I used him, the first chapter was free, so you could see how he goes about his job. Then you could sign up for the whole service, which was around $250--well worth it for me.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, with a lot of luck, a bargain.

But if one has requested a line-by-line then presumably one thinks one has missed things, so anything that is pointed out will be regarded as value whether or not it is a complete and thorough line-by-line.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't go for the line by line service, which I think was more like $350. But I did receive detailed chapter by chapter criticism of sentences, character motivations, plot movement, plot suggestions, pacing problems, etc., which to me were even more valuable.

The best is the "first chapter free" aspect.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
You should join a writing group. Your profile doesn't say where you live, so I can't help you with that.

I can't tell you how much my group helped me. In so many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.