Mozilla's Firefox Quantum

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a redirect on opening Firefox that Mozilla has a new browser, Firefox Quantum, rebuilt from the ground up.

Anybody have any advice on whether I should download it right away, which Mozilla seems eager for, or wait a while for bugs to emerge and be fixed?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same version, but my Firefox auto-updated this morning. It's a little different, but nothing jarring. Seems to be a standard upgrade to me.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. Unless you're getting paid to be a pioneer, wait.

Early results are that it's beating Chrome in various speed tests, but I'd still wait.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just now when I got online, it auto-loaded. (Which is not cool, Mozilla.) The changes appear cosmetic so far.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Gotta say Quantum is performing a lot better than the previous version of Firefox, which was forever throwing up "not responding" errors and gobbling up memory like nobody's business and freezing completely when memory usage went to 650Mb or higher, requiring me to manually end task via Task Manager and then restart. Wow that got annoying. Looking at Quantum, it's running at around 200Mb or less continually and is pause free. Big plus from where I'm sitting.

On the negative side, a couple of useful add-ons got deactivated automatically because they won't work with Quantum, which has nobbled my productivity somewhat, I'm still looking for workarounds. But Firefox isn't obliged to stay compatible with third party software so I can't really complain, complain. But I can still enjoy a niggly moan.

Overall satisfaction, 5 stars. Out of 5. So far. :)

-Derek

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Uploaded quantum. No problems, but then, i lead a simple online life.
One slight issue, menu bookmarks have move to the left. on the positive, my find word thingy is easier to access.

Davy, not tech minded, but not unhappy with quantum. (Prefer mozilla ethically to competitors, so not really gonna change anyway)E
TA. It doesn s
eem faster, and it sorted an annoying 'flash player rqd' issue i was getting from some sites.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Mind your privacy, friends.

I always manually delete cookies when I leave a site, and have my settings delete them when Firefox closes.

My setting is still When I Close Firefox, but old cookies from bookmarked sites keep popping back in, no matter how much I delete them.

It's like Firefox wanted me to switch entirely to Chrome...

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
It’s very disruptive. Buttons are in different places, add-ins are no longer available. They’ve been dropping off one by one but now it’s a clean flush. Not everything has replacements or has a replacement that’s as good/complete.

This is what they emailed me, on the email address I used for the sync function (not to receive newsletters on), with my comments and reaction inline:

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds up to twice as fast as a year ago. I never had any trouble with it being slow. It’s not like you can make the connection any faster! Presumably this is an issue for low-powered netbooks and convertibles.
It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits.
Whatever that means. More powerful? It’s not like I had any web pages complain that the browser is too old or anything.
We’re excited to deliver a browser that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient.
translation: you have to re-learn how to use it for no useful reason. Moving the back button, making it difficult to move the window around, etc. are not "fun" things.
We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the internet.
It makes me think of a cartoon. I thought it was xkcd but I can’t find it. A product manager needs a word that makes people think it’s a major change but is really very very s
mall

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The only time I find a browser runs slowly/locks down is when its cruft jams up my computer's entire drive capacity. Full stop. This 'upgrade' was no different.

Firefox is scrambling around with a feedback survey.

"Cruft"...love that word...

Andrey

Who, me?
Registered
Reaction score
A shack in the jungle on the flank of a volcano.
Website
www.andreysamode.com
I like the idea of Firefox more (open source, non-profit vs. a corporate behemoth), but I had to switch to Chrome because Firefox would glitch after it ran for longer than a day. I tried it over the years on many versions of Firefox and it would invariably start consuming memory unnecessarily and glitch, requiring a restart of the browser.

Chrome's been great for me. I can keep it open for weeks at a time without a problem. I haven't found either to be particularly faster or slower. Chrome just feels more stable.

I'm curious how this new Firefox Quantum will develop, though. A friend has been raving about Rust. I couldn't really understand why, but he seemed genuinely excited—it's somehow fundamentally different than other computer languages. He couldn't explain it very well. Too much enthusiasm can do that sometimes.

In either case, the stuff that really makes a difference for my browsing experience is a good AdBlock (AdBlock on Chrome or AdBlock Plus on Firefox), and Tampermonkey to make changes to websites I use frequently (like making the Quick Reply font size larger on this forum, for example, or altering Gmail color scheme so it's softer on the eyes).

Last edited:

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
I'm a geek. I love my tech...and I love Firefox. So when they updated and I heard that it was faster, I upgraded right away. Went out and sought out the update.

Sigh.

This is the first time I've snarked in their forum. What JDlugosz says above is a key point. A lot of add-ons don't work. And one that I needed critically was dropped off the list (FTP software that I used for web development). I had to go out and find a replacement and it downloaded PUP (potentially unwanted programs, reset my search engine and my home pages...). Now that wasn't FireFox's fault...but it was HUGELY disruptive to me. As someone told me after my snark, the developers of add-ons were told that things were changing and if they didn't do the update (who has time for those??) then they got dropped off. I'm hoping they'll get their act together and we'll get more add-ons soon.

That said...I'm liking the new interface. It is clean and it is faster. I haven't had the "not responding" issues that I had before and I work with a LOT of tabs open. (I do web development among other things...) I even got myself a theme to sparkle up the top of my browser.

AdBlock Plus still works. (grin)

So if you need a lot of plugins, wait. If you just use a vanilla browser, it might be time to update.

I even went back and apologized - ish - on the support forum.

JayMass

Registered
Reaction score
Some replies to issues raised above:

- Bookmark button changed place: If you click on the little menu button on the right and select "customize", you can add, remove and change the location of all the buttons. It would have been nice if they kept your existing setup, but it is a one time, easy fix.

- switching to chrome because cookie weirdness: For me personally, the options in firefox seem to satisfy me. But going to Google Chrome for this reason seems strange: privacy and google are not exactly the best bes fellows?

- Disruption due to add-ons not working: The change has been announced by Mozilla more than a year ago so all add-on creators had plenty of time to adapt/redesign. And most did. Those that did not were marked "legacy" for quite a while already and have now disappeared. In my opinion (which nobody needs to share) if an add-on has not updated to the new API in 12 months,it means there is no real development going on anymore. I consider it abandon-ware and will not trust it. Personally, I think it is a good thing that the add-ons in FF got cleaned up a bit.

By the way, the reason add-ons needed to be rewritten for the new API were partly for better security, less crashing and overall speed improvements. Is it annoying? Yes. But then change often is. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Mentioning this in case it helps anyone who used the same kind of add-ons I did.

The most useful add-on for me was ViewSourceWith which allowed me to edit a web page or an image with just a right-click to pop-up a menu, then a left-click to select an edit tool.

A workaround for at least a text editor is detailed on a Firefox support page, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/757430 -- following these instructions, in about:config I defined my local text editor path+filename, e.g. c:\dp\util\NotePad2.exe -- now when I right-click on a web page and select View Page Source, that page is loaded into my text editor, instead of view-only.

FireFTP was a useful ftp interface called from within Firefox but I'd also been using FileZilla for ages so I didn't feel this loss as much.

I'm still looking for a quick way to right-click on images and edit them. There are slower alternatives of course. It's the loss of speedy short-cuts that irks.

Should anyone wonder, I'm talking about editing my own html pages and my own images, not stealing someone else's.

-Derek

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Mine self-upgraded today, so I don't know how the new Firefox will perform in the long run or what it'll do with my cookies, but the speed is indeed impressive. Cetrainly better than Chrome which it used to not be. Facebook usually takes ages to load and then ages to reload and be ready to scroll, but today it almost reacted like a regular web site!

Haven't got used to the new way of handling bookmarks yet - it seems to take five clicks for what I used to do in two. But maybe I just haven't found the right config yet.

Add-ons that don't work anymore include two of my most important ones - my rss reader with all the blog addresses I'm following (ouch!) and NoScript which, luckily, isn't the only kid on that particluar block but worked just the way I wanted it to. (There are tons of ad blockers but I don't care about ads, I care about unnecessary extra scripts.) I'll give both of them some time to catch up, but I willl need those functions eventually.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
For those for whom a specific broken add-on is a deal-breaker, Pale Moon (forked from Firefox 27, then developed independently) supports many older Firefox extensions. Waterfox may too, but I have less experience with it. Or you could try Firefox's cousin Seamonkey, which also supports some Firefox extensions. Keep in mind, though, that these browsers follow the pre-Quantum single-threaded model, so if you used to have problems with Firefox freezing and collapsing under the weight of your browsing habits, these browsers will probably do so too. You'll have to decide which side of the trade-off is more important for you.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
The good news is that I'm really enjoying the Developer's Edition that the tech support group turned me on to. I'll have to use Filezilla...but the browser IS a ton faster. And not crashing is a very nice change.

JayMass

Registered
Reaction score
Just to make sure that this is known, you can use the normal windows file explorer to connect quite easily to ftp sites.

Here is a short web article I found that describes the process for windows 10, but I think this was already possible from windows 7 (or maybe earlier).
http://www.betterhostreview.com/connect-ftp-site-server-file-explorer-windows-10.html

This may miss some functionality, but it's built-in and woks pretty flawlessly. If you are using windowws anyway, I would suggest you try it and see if it suits or needs?

For those that are moving to forks of the older browser, I fear this is just delaying the inevitable... This projects may survive for quite a while, butfewer and fewer people will use them and they will very likely fall into disrepair at some future date... And again, as I wrote earlier, do make sure that the add-ons you are using are at least still updated with security fixes.

Last edited:

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
You can't make any predictions about what will happen when open-source software is forked. Sometimes the fork dies, yes. Sometimes it supplants the original. Sometimes they merge back together. And sometimes both the original and the fork continue on side-by-side for many years. Pale Moon, at least, currently has an active enough community around it that I wouldn't expect it to be at risk for a while yet (by which time, Firefox may have morphed again). And it's definitely a better choice than someone staying with an unmaintained Firefox version because of an extension they're not willing to give up. There are people who do that kind of thing, you know.

As for the lack of security fixes in unmaintained add-ons, on the one hand, it doesn't actually matter until a security issue turns up—not all of these add-ons are large or contain any security-critical code. On the other hand, you have to accept that you're doing something slightly risky that isn't really best practice. So it's another trade-off. Old Firefox extensions are unlikely to be attractive hacking targets, though, simply because not many people are using them.

JayMass

Registered
Reaction score
Sure I can! Call me Cassandra!
I can predict, prognosticate and prophesize!
What however I can nor want,
Is make people believe me at my word. :D

And that is why I always add words like "I fear", "I think", "I believe", "in my opinion" to my statements.
I never preach gospel; all I can ever do is offer my opinion based on my experience and let people decide to take the advise, or not.

I do respectfully choose to disagree with your unqualified bold statement "it doesn't actually matter until a security issue turns up".
In my opinion, that is unwise advice.

Andrey

Who, me?
Registered
Reaction score
A shack in the jungle on the flank of a volcano.
Website
www.andreysamode.com
I installed Firefox Quantum and have been comparing it to Chrome. Visually, I like Quantum better. The tabs are square (which I prefer) and the close buttons on them are larger. Both browsers are plenty fast—I don't think that's an issue at all. Both have all the plugins I use. The only downside to Quantum that I noticed is that scrolling is a bit choppy. It's better than what Firefox used to be, but still not as buttery smooth as Chrome. I'll stick with Chrome for now as my primary and switch back to Firefox when they have that ironed out.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
I installed Firefox Quantum and have been comparing it to Chrome. Visually, I like Quantum better. The tabs are square (which I prefer) and the close buttons on them are larger. Both browsers are plenty fast—I don't think that's an issue at all. Both have all the plugins I use. The only downside to Quantum that I noticed is that scrolling is a bit choppy. It's better than what Firefox used to be, but still not as buttery smooth as Chrome. I'll stick with Chrome for now as my primary and switch back to Firefox when they have that ironed out.

the tabs on the new Firefox look...wrong/dorky....to me. the tab in the chrome, look just like manila folders. and that is so cool to me.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
FireFTP was a useful ftp interface called from within Firefox but I'd also been using FileZilla for ages so I didn't feel this loss as much.

I'd urge anyone still using FTP to at least move to SFTP as soon as possible.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
This is a perfect example of how I can get set doing something one way over the years and not catch on that technology has improved. Thank you very much for sharing this. It makes perfect sense to do it this way.

I remember seeing this come up once years ago and using it in a technical support capacity, but that was back in Win 7 at least and it was not as smooth. What's funny is that this takes me back to the early days of the internet connecting with dial up in some ways! I think this will definitely meet the needs.

To the later poster on SFTP -- yes. SFTP is important.