Alt history fanboy

PlasmaTorch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I'm a casual writer with a passion for science fiction. I've been reading it for 16 years or so, and only recently gotten into a writing phase.

I'm into space operas, military science fiction, post humanism, and alternate history. The last category is something I've become particularly interested in as of late.

I've also been reading about military history (especially WW2) since I was a kid, and feel like I have a pretty firm grasp of that subject.

One of my current projects is an alt history story, which involves Nazi Germany choosing a different war strategy than what they did in our world. Its kindof a taboo subject, but thats what makes it fun. Hopefully, I will eventually have a chance to upload my story here and get feedback on my writing.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting.

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, you can find what you are seeking here! = D

PlasmaTorch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was actually looking for a place where I could post chapters from my story and maybe get reviews.

Would I be able to do that at the 'Share Your Work' section of this website?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

PlasmaTorch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to read the links. 50 posts is kindof alot, but I guess rules are rules.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome! I hope AW helps you write some interesting science fiction alt-history. The first one I remember encountering was Harry Turtledove's Worldwar: In the Balance about an alien invasion during WW2.

PlasmaTorch

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I hope AW helps you write some interesting science fiction alt-history. The first one I remember encountering was Harry Turtledove's Worldwar: In the Balance about an alien invasion during WW2.

Haha, yeah, that story was awesome. I've also enjoyed John Birminghams 'Axis of Time' trilogy.

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I love alternate history myself, and I'm working on a novel where the Russian revolution failed and the Imperial family survived.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Handled correctly, the taboo can garner the greatest reader engagement.

Welcome to AW!

- - - Updated - - -

Handled correctly, the taboo can garner the greatest reader engagement.

Welcome to AW!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to read the links. 50 posts is kindof alot, but I guess rules are rules.

There are lots of places to join the conversation here, from specific genre topics to more generalized conversation threads, and even some fun and game prompt-type threads, so you should be on your way to 50 posts in no time.

:welcome:

And it's not a lot, really. But it does help weed out people looking to come in and make a mess of the place.

:flamethrower

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score
Sup. I like to think up alternative histories too, though none have made it into any of my works of fiction yet :)