Facetime at conference

eruthford

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theydontcry.wordpress.com
Hi friends,

It's getting to that time of year when the local writers' association is promoting their early bird registration for the big writers' conference in the summer. (Pacific Northwest Writers' Association in my case.) One of the big draws is the pitch sessions with the agents, in which you have five minutes of speed-dating with an agent or editor.

I went to this conference two and a half years ago and certainly enjoyed the speakers and meeting people, but I don't know if it was $450 of enjoyment, especially when I'm not doing so hot as regards income stream these days. The pitch sessions with the agents was ok, but I had a hard time seeing why people do it. It was easy to get an agent to say "yes I'd like to read your proposal" if you showed that your manuscript met the bare minimum of a genre that the agent sought. But in the end, the rejections I got from them were maybe one sentence longer than others I'd gotten solely through people I found on Writers Market. (I also realize that my manuscript was not ready at that time and have since been through two major re-writes.) It's a 73,000-word memoir if that makes a difference.

So, what do you think? Is it worth speed-dating the agents? Is there something there that's better than searching on them and e-mailing them? I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Eric

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay for just a pitch session. I did go to a conference where agents I selected read the first chapter of my book. That was a revelation. I walked away from that speed-dating thing (3 agents and 1 house editor) exhilarated and with 4 pro opinions of my work, a couple of them actual line-edits. That was my first experience with industry pros, and it was worth every penny.

Pitches...nah. Not worth the money to me.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I enjoy talking with agents to get a feel of the industry, but in your shoes, I think I'd be better off just querying.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Pitching is fine, if that's not what you're paying for. (It really never hurts to practice crafting and giving a pitch. But you shouldn't be spending money you don't have to do it.)

I've found that pitching/conference sessions are helpful, but only when they are a part of a larger, productive and informative convention/conference. Querying by email is just fine in my book. (Also, if you haven't checked out querytracker.net yet, you should.)