Bakery replaces Jesus with a pastry in nativity scene. Offensive or not?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Not particularly funny, but even more so not offensive. Your jokes here are funnier than that pic (I have enjoyed them).

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I can't remember who said this first, but what's Jesus backwards?

Also the Sun *spits* wrote a story about the complaints and used the headline 'Jesus Crust'

Professor Yaffle

Registered
Reaction score
The Sun is awful, but they do have some sort of demented genius writing their headlines. Clearly the inspiration for CMOT Dibbler's brief career in newspapers in 'The Truth'.

For the record: Catholic(ish), and I found it moderately amusing. Probably I shouldn't have, but I did.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
so a random small (mom/pop) bakery in the UK made a Holy Pastry?
a place that i may never visit in my life....and maybe if i ever do...that this bakery won't exist anymore?
excuse me for not attempting to think about it except for maybe right now. i have more important things to worry about. Like catching imaginary monsters in my cell phone!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was funny.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
so a random small (mom/pop) bakery in the UK made a Holy Pastry?
a place that i may never visit in my life....and maybe if i ever do...that this bakery won't exist anymore?
excuse me for not attempting to think about it except for maybe right now. i have more important things to worry about. Like catching imaginary monsters in my cell phone!

Well, I mean, Greggs is a nationwide chain, but yeah, still more important things to worry about.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, not cool and not funny!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm sure some people are offended.

Doesn't mean it's not funny.

Though, by itself, the picture is just OK. It's the commentary that makes it hilarious. Thanks for a laugh, folks!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Here's an interesting take on the whole thing from Guardian Columnist Peter Ormerod.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...istian-greggs-sausage-roll-jesus-bakery-chain

It’s an outrage, I tell you. How could something so sacred be corrupted into something so profane? How could God be so traduced that He is presented in so pitiful a form? It’s appallingly disrespectful. It makes a mockery of so much we hold dear. It’s heretical. Blasphemous. Offensive.

Yes, the story of the nativity is quite a scandal – the almighty creator of the universe appearing on Earth mewling and wailing in a trough in a shed shared with some farm animals. Glory, splendour, majesty? Yeah, right.

There's some solid humility thinking in this perspective.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I never knew that sausage rolls were made of pork. So that's something I've learned.

I didn't either, or at least I didn't know they had to be made of pork. That looks more like a hot dog than a sausage to me, and in the US at least, most "franks" are all beef (though chicken and turkey dogs are popular here too).

I suspect that most of the outrage wasn't from Jewish people who were insulted that a (possible) pork product was being used to portray a person who was Jewish, though, especially when pop culture has largely "forgotten" that Jesus wasn't a blond-haired, blue-eyed, Christian himself.

I can see how it would be annoying to see something that's of great emotional importance to you being made light of. Whether that something important being a religious icon gives it more importance is debatable, but feelings are what they are.

I do think there's been a move by some Christians lately to play the "we're being oppressed" card, which I think is silly when one is in the majority religiously and culturally. Maybe it's because Christianity itself is so fragmented these days that no one group feels in the majority anymore, or maybe it's just that card often played by people of relative privilege where they're making false equivalencies with the much more pervasive institutional discrimination faced by other religions and groups.

Regardless, people have the right to express their opinions about the ad, and it's up to the owners of the company how they wish to respond.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends what you believe. The good news is nobody who is offended is calling for Jihad.

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
Of all of the distortions to Christmas, this is (sadly) relatively minor. People trampling each other in Walmart and killing each other to get to the hot toy, for example.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends what you believe. The good news is nobody who is offended is calling for Jihad.

And here we have a model example of someone who fails to abide by the basic tenets of not only ACE & H, but the site as well.

This is why we can't have nice things, and some people lose access.

Last edited: