Winter scene of a small village with snowmen and a UFO

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Please Vote for my New Covers!

practical experience, FTW Richard W. Fairbairn's Avatar

Please Vote for my New Covers!

This is one my friend made (current live):

This is one I designed:

I like my own design as the novel is scifi action. My friend would not draw the pictures I asked her to draw for the cover design so I'm left to my own 3D "skills".

All comments gratefully received!

warm regards

Richard
    --

Beyond the Starport Adventure
    A warmongering alien race declares war on Earth, driven by an innate fear passed from generation to generation. 30,000 years in the past, their ancestors committed an unspeakable sin upon their gods, driving them away for millennia. Now they suspect those gods have returned, seeking a cruel and terrible vengeance. Beyond the Starport Adventure is the first novel in The Bullet series.

Blacker
    In a post-apocalyptic world of nightmares, John MacGregor faces unimaginable terror on discovering he is not alone.

THE EXPLORERS is out now!! Toothpaste's Avatar
    While it's quite impressive you were able to draw that character, I have never liked CGI people on covers. They tend to look extra fake (that whole uncanny valley problem) and often, and seriously seriously no offence, signals "self published unprofessional cover". I'm not sure why, but a lot of self published covers tend to go for these CGI characters so you end up, even if the character is really well designed, with a kind of inadvertent sign on your cover of not professionally designed. Heck, even if it is! So in all I really don't think the second one works for you.

Generally I much prefer your friend's. The font is better, as is the layout, and it all just looks a lot more professional.

Sit Down, and Shut Up! Lavern08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    ...Generally I much prefer your friend's. The font is better, as is the layout, and it all just looks a lot more professional.
    Ditto.
    BREAKFAST WITH LAVERN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ui68rmpcw

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Yeah, I know Ted, but Vernie is hawt nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Everybody loves Lavern.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I blurves me some Vernie.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Damn, Haggis...Vernie would be upset, and nobody wants to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mclesh View Post
    I love you, Lavern. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    Lavern! Lavern! Lavern!

If this site is helpful to you...

Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

I like the first one. If it's currently live, why do you want to change it?? The second one has few elements that look odd. I'm assuming there is an stone arch behind the girl, but at first glance that's not obvious and on the left side (above BEY) there appears to be a large black spot. The weapon holster on her hip looks like a holster for a tourist beverage flask, and the pink thing next to it looks like an enormous puffy hand. Ah, and the fonts are kinda too squat.

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    Another vote for your friend's version. I find your one to be too cluttered. The holster seems odd and I can't make out what's behind her- jaws, a cave? What's the pink blob by the holster - is she actually holding something? It's really not clear.

Your friend's version currently on Amazon is far more appealing and conveys a lot in a single glance. A space vehicle, and trouble close behind.
    Everything yields to treatment.

practical experience, FTW
    The title reads different in each.

“Beyond the starport adventure”

“Beyond: The Starport Adventure”

The different sized text gives the same suggestion as a subtitle.

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    While it's quite impressive you were able to draw that character, I have never liked CGI people on covers. They tend to look extra fake (that whole uncanny valley problem)
    Same here. There's something odd about the character's face, and I can't say it appeals to me, whereas the first cover looks much better.
    Historical romance : 2000 words.

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelidae The Otter's Avatar
    In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all eternity.
    I'll be the dissenting opinion here, although I'm a bit torn. I like the layout of yours better, and it more clearly communicates the kind of story it is. I'm not sure what the first one is even meant to represent; the spaceship (if that's what it is) almost looks like a retro flying car, and the explosion of colors and random eyes in the background aren't working for me. I might like #1 a bit better without the eyes, actually.

But yeah, CGI people are always a bit uncanny valley, and that can be offputting; #2 does look amateurish even though I prefer the general theme and appearance.
    Last edited by The Otter; 11-16-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Available in February 2018, my YA novel: WHEN MY HEART JOINS THE THOUSAND

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    The first, hands down. It looks more professional, and -- don't take this the wrong way, and I'm not sure which genre you're writing, so it may be what you're going for, though the first suggests otherwise -- but a presumed space traveler on the cover with makeup and Farrah hair would make me think it wasn't just a scifi novel, but more like a semi-erotic thing.

Perpetual padawan Obi-Wan Nobody's Avatar
    First one looks very nice. Nothing to comment as it seems to be the output of an experienced designer.
    On the second one, I have no idea why but I cannot have empathy with the character represented by that girl. And the title of the book is not readable enough.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin insolentlad's Avatar
    I'm with the rest. The first is better. The idea for the second isn't necessarily bad. Maybe if the figure were reduced in size a bit, the titling changed up, it would work better.

practical experience, FTW Richard W. Fairbairn's Avatar
    Thanks very much. For anyone wondering what the object is in the first picture, it's my 1976 Triumph TR7 which the lead character still drives around in 2195 (in space and on the roads).

I am very happy to hear that the original cover is preferred. Thanks to everyone who commented.

warm regards

Richard
    --

Beyond the Starport Adventure
    A warmongering alien race declares war on Earth, driven by an innate fear passed from generation to generation. 30,000 years in the past, their ancestors committed an unspeakable sin upon their gods, driving them away for millennia. Now they suspect those gods have returned, seeking a cruel and terrible vengeance. Beyond the Starport Adventure is the first novel in The Bullet series.

Blacker
    In a post-apocalyptic world of nightmares, John MacGregor faces unimaginable terror on discovering he is not alone.

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    Knew it was the TR7 mentioned in the SYW submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. Fairbairn View Post
    Thanks very much. For anyone wondering what the object is in the first picture, it's my 1976 Triumph TR7 which the lead character still drives around in 2195 (in space and on the roads).

I am very happy to hear that the original cover is preferred. Thanks to everyone who commented.

warm regards

Richard
    Everything yields to treatment.

Banned for Spamming
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. Fairbairn View Post
    This is one my friend made (current live):

This is one I designed:

I like my own design as the novel is scifi action. My friend would not draw the pictures I asked her to draw for the cover design so I'm left to my own 3D "skills".

All comments gratefully received!

warm regards

Richard
    ===========

I prefer the first one.

The second one looks too weird for my taste.

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    I prefer the first one as well.
    Vivere militare est.

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    The first one.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads