Do you ever angst-check your characters? How much screaming and crying is enough before readers become apathetic or entertained? My MC spends a couple of years recovering from a debilitating injury. I can't put my finger on where or how, yet, but I'm feeling like some of it is venturing into narm territory (for lack of a better word).

TVtropes defines it as:

Narm is a moment that is supposed to be serious, but due to either over-sappiness, poor execution, excessive Melodrama, or the sheer absurdity of the situation, the drama is lost to the point of surpassing "cheesy" and becoming unintentionally funny.
What are your thoughts on balancing tragedy so nothing turns to cheese?

I may be overanalyzing because my fiancee always laughs at every movie scene that's supposed to be heartwrenching and I have internalized that voice in my head. >.> I understand some of it is subjective, too--if you type in "wangst" on Urban Dictionary, "Louis the Vampire" is the first cited example. I love Louis!

Where do you draw the fine line between dark vs. whiney, and happy vs. barfy? For example, longwinded, self-pitying internal monologues should not be abused.

I don't know why I'm angsting over this right now. It's too bad I can't spellcheck with F7 and then narmcheck with F8.