AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Concept Stealing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Unhappy Concept Stealing

Hello...I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct forum. I guess someone will let me know if I'm not. I'll get right to it: I recently worked w/a freelance editor. She has strong credentials, was a professor of creative writing, etc. She helped me with a CNF piece about racism--being raised in with racist views, etc. This was in September of this year. I just checked her blog, and I discovered that last week she had a piece published about being raised w/racist views & opinions. Different in concept, but not in content. I'm not sure she "stole" my idea, but if she'd been working on this piece when I started working with her, shouldn't she have disclosed this to me? I feel I would have done so had I been in her position. I'd like to say something to her about it, but I'm not sure how to handle it. Comments? Suggestions? This doesn't feel right to me. I def won't work with her again.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    If she's written her own piece then I'm not sure you have any complaint. If she's plagiarised your work by using your words, then you do.

It's not ethically right for her to have copied your idea. But ideas can't be protected. Only the expression of them.

I agree - unless she's actually lifted your text I don't think you can do anything about it. Bummer though, I agree.
    Facebook Twitter Website

Priest of Bones coming October 2018 from Ace/Roc & Jo Fletcher Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thank you both for replying. I agree, too. It sucks and makes me lose more faith in humanity. If the tables had been turned, and I had the similar essay/content, I would have been up front with my client right from the beginning.