Quote Originally Posted by Orianna2000 View Post
Yes, I was quite tickled when I got the idea for this scene. I hope I can make it work, despite the apparent lack of snow in London. . . . It's also a pivotal moment, when one character realizes he's in love with the other.
If your setting is on the outer reaches of Greater London, rather than in the centre, it's going to be more believable. But otherwise I'm afraid you're going to struggle. This would be a major thing.

Have you seen the Victorian-era townhouses in London? I can't speak for all of them, of course, but the one we toured was quite cramped. The rooms were tiny, the bathroom was actually in the attic, there was no shower or bathtub, just a toilet and a basin/jug. I don't know how they managed during the era of hoopskirts and bustles!
By "townhouse" do you mean the terraced houses that are all over London? I've lived in several. Some are tiny and cramped but others are huge and wonderful.

I do have the address, but I'm almost afraid to look at Google Maps, in case I remembered wrong and my idea is completely impossible. It was an entire row of similar flats, identical, all up and down the street. I've no idea how old they might be, but I might be able to get my husband to look it up for me. (He's good at finding out real estate facts.)
Send me the address! I'd love to know where it is. Nosy, me.

Another delusion shattered! Well, this place is going to have to be special, or else I'm going to have to make major modifications to the story, because I have another pivotal scene that takes place on the roof. One of the characters turns the roof into a garden, with boxes of dirt to grow plants in. And she's working up there when the other character comes home after a 14 month absence. I have the reunion scene all planned out, and I've no idea where else I could set it.

Don't you hate it when reality butts its ugly head into things that are none of its business??
If you're going to put plants on the roof like that you need to ensure the structure will cope with the added weight, and you'll usually need to add something like decking to make it work. If that's been done then you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I'm interested that the roofs there on townhouses aren't generally flat or for walking, as the roofs here on brownstones are. Many of the brownstones are from the mid-late 1800s (so perhaps it's a later thing if the London ones are earlier), and have flat roofs people walk on, have gardens, patio furniture, etc. on. A friend of mine occupied the top couple floors of a brownstone a while back and we could not only go hang out on the roof, but walk across the roofs moving down nearly the entire block (there are little half-walls like knee high separating the buildings).

The buildings I'm talking about look like this.

Here's an aerial view of some.

This is a fancied-up roof (they put down planking)

And this is a kind of perfect view of a few and how they connect -- the orange-topped little walls are the dividers between those three buildings. The people on the left didn't put down anything, that's what's on most of the roofs, it's vaguely spongey. People in the center and to the right covered it.

All that said, don't a lot of London townhouses have back gardens? They do here, but I think they do there as well?
WANT.

Those houses are gorgeous.

Yes, most houses have gardens here, but blocks of flats tend to only have smallish communal spaces.