Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

altoid967

Registered
Reaction score
Death and blood, huh? Are you by any chance a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series?

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I guess I've seen the word 'grimdark' somewhere before, but it's the first time I looked it up. There's an interesting article on Tor.Com explaining.

Interesting.

Welcome to AW! Best of luck!

DougR.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, I dunno. I thought the first two volumes of the series were good, the second merely OK, and the last two definitely sub-par. Dude badly needed a line editor, and someone to tell him that hundreds and hundreds of pages of nothing happening is really not cool.

I couldn't agree more. His editor has no spine. My theory on why he hasn't finished this series yet is because he's written himself into a corner with all the superfluous material and can't figure out how to get the plot to where it needs to be.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hey there (again) and thank you.

South Gippsland really is a lovely area, though there's not much here in the way of work. On-line job search for xyz job in Melbourne: 2877 jobs. Job search for xyz job in SG: 7. :-(

Ack. Yeah, that is something of a downside.

Positives: practically no commute-time to work!
Negatives: practically no work!

altoid967

Registered
Reaction score
The last couple of books read like they weren't edited at all.

Your theory about why the series hasn't been finished sounds about right. At this rate, it won't be. Wonder if Sanderson will step in like he did when Jordan went to the great publishing house in the sky? ;-)

If we could only be so lucky! Sanderson is a machine.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Learn something new every day. Today it was gridmark.

Welcome, from another newbie. :welcome:

shaudae

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.
I enjoy reading grimdark fantasy. I prefer low, mundane stuff that's gritty, realistic and very, very violent. I don't really believe in happy endings, and there's no such thing as too much blood. ;-)

I would absolutely love to be a beta reader for you...though its not something I've ever done before. I have a similar belief in HEA but I believe in realistic endings than the hearts, slowers, and roses! I also have a wide range of reading tastes. Let me know if you still need a beta!