Bio of a Query Letter... leave out? (Contest Prize Amount)

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Sooo, I have a question that I seriously can't find an answer to anywhere.

In my bio, I want to add that I won a national writing contest; however, there are so many minor contests out there, that it doesn't mean much to an agent. That said, I won first place for $25K dollars.

My question is if I should add the amount into the bio. I'd word in a way where it was like, "... for a humbling amount of $25,000" or something. Naturally, it helps show how big the contest was, but I don't want to sound conceited or bragging. Just trying to stand out.

I've heard different things from different people, but I was hoping to see if an agent could chime in.

Thanks so much!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sooo, I have a question that I seriously can't find an answer to anywhere.

In my bio, I want to add that I won a national writing contest; however, there are so many minor contests out there, that it doesn't mean much to an agent. That said, I won first place for $25K dollars.

My question is if I should add the amount into the bio. I'd word in a way where it was like, "... for a humbling amount of $25,000" or something. Naturally, it helps show how big the contest was, but I don't want to sound conceited or bragging. Just trying to stand out.

I've heard different things from different people, but I was hoping to see if an agent could chime in.

Thanks so much!

IANAA, but a) congratulations and b) a prize that big is probably quite well known, isn't it? In which case I would just name the prize and assume that any agent worth querying will know of it.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
IANAA, but a) congratulations and b) a prize that big is probably quite well known, isn't it? In which case I would just name the prize and assume that any agent worth querying will know of it.

It's not well known, no, because organization that funded it recently shut down. I literally can't even find information on it anymore, or the page that detailed the winners. It was My Teacher, My Hero--I won $25k for my writing, and I also won the teacher it was about $25k. Was a huge deal, but impossible to find now.

Which--because I don't really know the process of mentioning that stuff in bios--might be a reason not to even mention it. I wouldn't want the agent to think I'm lying or something... idk. I haven't published yet, so it's like my "only" credential to offer.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not well known, no, because organization that funded it recently shut down. I literally can't even find information on it anymore, or the page that detailed the winners. It was My Teacher, My Hero--I won $25k for my writing, and I also won the teacher it was about $25k. Was a huge deal, but impossible to find now.

Which--because I don't really know the process of mentioning that stuff in bios--might be a reason not to even mention it. I wouldn't want the agent to think I'm lying or something... idk. I haven't published yet, so it's like my "only" credential to offer.
So that makes it trickier, and I'm not an agent so I'll step aside and wait till one appears. But even if consensus is not to mention it in the Query (I have no idea) you'll get a chance to mention it at some stage, I would think. :) Good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you decided to do, I would not word it as a "humbling amount of $25,000." They'll think a) you're humble bragging and b) you'll be a difficult client if you don't get a six-figure advance.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you decided to do, I would not word it as a "humbling amount of $25,000." They'll think a) you're humble bragging and b) you'll be a difficult client if you don't get a six-figure advance.

Damn. xD I guess the easiest thing is to probably just leave it out entirely.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
It hasn't completely disappeared from the internet, because nothing does.

Is it the Kimberly Clark one?

No it's not. But! Writing this post has sparked a memory, and I managed to find the company that handled the distribution of the funds for contests, and their customer service does help locate a list of winners from contests.

https://www.helloworld.com/

They used to be called eprize, which is why I was never able to re-find them.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would mention it because it is frikkin impressive!! Congratulations! I would say something like, "I was extremely fortunate to win $25,000 for my SPECIFIC WRITING in the CONTEST NAME."

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would mention it because it is frikkin impressive!! Congratulations! I would say something like, "I was extremely fortunate to win $25,000 for my SPECIFIC WRITING in the CONTEST NAME."

Agreed. This would be great wording.

(Worth noting: Putputt was an intern for an agent and has insight into what gets noticed in the slushpile)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely mention it. That's a huge prize, and it's significant that you won it. Well done!

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone else. I'd mention it for sure.

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
I second that the "humbling amount of $25,000." Sounds like a humble brag. I would be super annoyed by a statement like that, but the wording puttputt used sounds way more gracious. Also, congratulations! That's amazing.