The Perfect Tea?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Still doesn’t work - looks like you’re subscribed to this cabdirect.org so you can search it - public has no access to search...since neither link tells me the official name or that of the authors, the googly machine has limits as to how accurate its search results are. Any chance you could share the official article and author names?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're clearly not meant to have this secret information about tea! Heh, this is the title, authors and a bit of the abstract. It's also on the NIH site, which I'd link to, but that doesn't seem to be going particularly well!

Green tea: potential health benefits.

Schneider C1, Segre T.

Abstract
Green tea has been used widely and in high doses for centuries as a health tonic in many societies. Evidence suggests that green tea is effective for treating genital warts. There is some supportive evidence for the use of green tea in cancer prevention. Drinking green tea is associated with a decrease in all-cause mortality, but not in cancer-related mortality. Small clinical studies have found that green tea may also be helpful in losing and managing weight, and lowering cholesterol. Epidemiologic evidence suggests that green tea may prevent stroke and cardiovascular disease....

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Huge array of teas and implements mentioned on this thread, but I can say without a doubt the best cup of tea I ever had was made in a bucket.

I was an army cadet and we had a night exercise to reconnoitre another group for a dawn attack; left at around 23.00, got back at around 03.30. The Sarn't Major had a fire going with a bucket of water on it. As it came to the boil he threw handfuls of teabags (no idea what blend, almost certainly standard British Army teabags...) poured a few pints of milk and added a bag or two of sugar.

It looked as if he was making it up as he went along but I am sure he'd done it a hundred times before and the result was a drink from the gods!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huge array of teas and implements mentioned on this thread, but I can say without a doubt the best cup of tea I ever had was made in a bucket.

I was an army cadet and we had a night exercise to reconnoitre another group for a dawn attack; left at around 23.00, got back at around 03.30. The Sarn't Major had a fire going with a bucket of water on it. As it came to the boil he threw handfuls of teabags (no idea what blend, almost certainly standard British Army teabags...) poured a few pints of milk and added a bag or two of sugar.

It looked as if he was making it up as he went along but I am sure he'd done it a hundred times before and the result was a drink from the gods!

That's really cool! Great stuff!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
You're clearly not meant to have this secret information about tea! Heh, this is the title, authors and a bit of the abstract. It's also on the NIH site, which I'd link to, but that doesn't seem to be going particularly well!

Maybe this link will work for others: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/0401/p591.html

Great story - out of curiosity, why was there a fire going? Was this in a fireplace or outside? All my memories (*shudder*) of time in the military did not include any bon-type fires, because they are great ways to give the "enemy" your position, and most tend to make the mistake of looking at the fire which ruins your night vision.

Or was this at the end of the training exercise and more of a camaraderie type of thing "hey the troops did good, let's make a fire and brew some tea for the chaps"?

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Once every six months or so, I make the pilgrimage to the Celestial Seasonings factory in Boulder and pick up a supply of cheap herbal teas.

I always love their Sleepytime varieties. I also really like the Zinger teas, which brew up very red because of the hibiscus in them. At the store there, they sell all their teas at half the retail price, and usually have clearance or specials that will be as low as $1/box. For that price, I can drink tea all day long. Though, if you live outside Colorado, the savings probably isn't worth the trip...

Bonus: if you feel a cold coming on, a visit to the peppermint room on the tour can always clear you right up!

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Great story - out of curiosity, why was there a fire going? Was this in a fireplace or outside?

We were bivvied in a derelict farmhouse, so both! The fire was in one corner of a room but there was no roof...

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Or was this at the end of the training exercise and more of a camaraderie type of thing

Cup of tea, bacon sandwich, hour's shut-eye, and "attack"

To give you an idea of how good that tea was, I have remembered it for over 35 years...!!!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Once every six months or so, I make the pilgrimage to the Celestial Seasonings factory in Boulder and pick up a supply of cheap herbal teas.

I always love their Sleepytime varieties. I also really like the Zinger teas, which brew up very red because of the hibiscus in them. At the store there, they sell all their teas at half the retail price, and usually have clearance or specials that will be as low as $1/box. For that price, I can drink tea all day long. Though, if you live outside Colorado, the savings probably isn't worth the trip...

Bonus: if you feel a cold coming on, a visit to the peppermint room on the tour can always clear you right up!

I went there once with the ex several years ago (dare I say about a decade...), and at the time was just kind of tagging along so didn't pay much attention but I remember the peppermint room! Do you recall if they offer loose leaf of any flavors or is it all bagged?

Andrey

Who, me?
Registered
Reaction score
A shack in the jungle on the flank of a volcano.
Website
www.andreysamode.com
@myrealana: I'm a fan of Sleepy Time as well. It's probably my favorite tea by Celestial Seasonings. I didn't realize their factory was in Boulder. That would have been worth a stop when I was passing through there last year.

I find that different teas have different effect the state of my mind (the primary writing tool). Here are some of my favorites:

#1 for productivity: Organic* Puerh from yunnansourcing.com (I've tried a bunch of different ones and they're all great.)
Just brew a little ball in the thermos and have it hot and ready all day. The effect on my mind is soothing and centering. I find I'm more mentally energized and less prone to being distracted by inconsequential things.

#1 for flavor: Organic Golden Monkey tea (got it from a friend): I had no idea black tea could taste so good just on its own. Hints of vanilla and caramel and it's all just tea. Haven't had it in years, but it's amazing stuff. Expensive, from what I hear, but amazing.

#1 for soothing: Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time. Ahhhhh....

#1 for going off coffee: High Mountain Ti Quan Yi (got it at a shop in Berkeley). A friend of mine said this was the only thing that could get him off coffee. I did feel a bit of a smooth energetic high from this oolong green tea.

#1 for coffee substitute: Dandy Blend. OMG, this stuff tastes amazing whipped up with some coconut oil and honey. Several coffee people said this is the best coffee substitute. It's actually quite good for you—dandelion is good for liver and all kinds of stuff.

These days, I'm brewing Jun (a green tea & honey kombucha culture). It's cold, fizzy and tastes absolutely amazing with lilikoi (passion fruit) or lemon & ginger.

* Organic because I've heard from several people in the tea industry that non-organic most likely means it has DDT in it—they still use it in the places in the world where tea comes from.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
* Organic because I've heard from several people in the tea industry that non-organic most likely means it has DDT in it—they still use it in the places in the world where tea comes from.

No DDT on Australian-grown tea! Nerada is pesticide-free. Not sure about the other plantations, but I'd imagine there's little -- if any -- use of pesticides in those too.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a coffee drinker, but wondering what y'all think of Teavana. I like their coconut zanzibar tea (which I don't see on their site now) but it is pricey and I have no idea of the quality of their teas. Any thoughts? Also, I'm thinking a tea sampler would make a nice holiday gift.
http://www.teavana.com/us/en/gifts/tea-samplers

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Good to hear it! I haven't tried any Aussie tea from what I can remember. We have an excellent macadamia nut cracker in the house that says "Made in Australia", though :)

As are macadamias. But it took you guys to make us realise there was a big profitable industry in it!

ETA: We are so slow off the mark.

Last edited:

Andrey

Who, me?
Registered
Reaction score
A shack in the jungle on the flank of a volcano.
Website
www.andreysamode.com
As are macadamias. But it took you guys to make us realise there was a big profitable industry in it!

ETA: We are so slow off the mark.

Never knew that about mac nuts. Learn something new every day. Profitable industry is overrated, anyhow. I'd much rather eat the mac nuts rather than try and sell them :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I am a coffee drinker, but wondering what y'all think of Teavana. I like their coconut zanzibar tea (which I don't see on their site now) but it is pricey and I have no idea of the quality of their teas. Any thoughts? Also, I'm thinking a tea sampler would make a nice holiday gift.
http://www.teavana.com/us/en/gifts/tea-samplers

Some of my favorite teas have come from Teavana. I like to go in and mix up two different kinds in a tin. They're good... pricey, though, so it's not a weekly purchase or anything.

The in-laws got us this sampler for a previous Christmas. It's turned out well.

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I miss Tealuxe back in Boston.
There's only one left now and it's in Rhode Island, I believe.

Oh wait, I am being informed the Harvard Square location is still open in Cambridge. Huh, I haven't been there in much longer than I thought!

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
New herbal favorite: Celestial Seasonings' Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking at the classics of Earl Grey, Darjeeling, and Green varieties, but think I’m going to take a trip to Celestial Seasonings this weekend...the seasonal flavors above do sound appealing...plus they also have another new one called Vermont Maple Ginger

YUM!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I love Darjeeling. Of the easily found in a store versions, I like Twinings the best. Do not over steep Darjeeling. I also love Assam.