The Perfect Tea?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I have a tea drawer:
11uycrt.jpg

I'm a big fan of Celestial Seasonings, partly because SleepyTime (and Extra Sleepy), and their seasonals mentioned above, but also because they don't individually wrap tea bags. The round tins are Tetley tea that I can't even seem to get mail order anywhere on the internet, so I bring some into the US with me every time I go back to Canada, and they have some great flavours for the herbal teas, and they do a vanilla earl grey that is dessert on its own. I've made my own tisanes with wild plants (blackberry leaves, wild chamomile, rosehips, etc) and I've almost got enough dried lavender from my garden to start trying my own blend for sleepy teas.

I'm also thinking I might look into this given the new laws coming to CA:
https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/11/16/tea-thc-lady-entrepreneurs-aim-to-micro-dose-your-happy-hour/

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great idea - a tea drawer! It’s so neat and organized too...

Ive been packing the pantry and came across a cardboard tin of Lemongrass tea from Teatulia from a few ears ago that is delicious with a bit of honey...though it makes me wonder if stored tea leaves or bags can go bad?

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great idea - a tea drawer! It’s so neat and organized too...

Ive been packing the pantry and came across a cardboard tin of Lemongrass tea from Teatulia from a few ears ago that is delicious with a bit of honey...though it makes me wonder if stored tea leaves or bags can go bad?
If kept in dry and cool conditions, teas won't spoil, but they will dry out to the point of having no flavor when you try to brew them.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
They use toasted barley in the Sugar Cookie, which is my go-to beverage at Korean restaurants.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
So, there's a particular tea I had a few years back that has now been discontinued and I'd more or less given up on ever having anything like it again--it was called a winter spice tea, which I realize is not especially specific, but although I'm a big tea drinker I'm not anything like an expert on it and I don't really know enough to narrow the category down so I can get something similar to it again. Was one of the warmest things I've ever drunk.

I'm mostly certain it was black with an outside chance of chai. Fairly sure it had cinnamon and other related spices. I'm wondering if it was a smoked tea, which I didn't even realize existed until I read this thread? It had a kind of woody flavour, but I wouldn't have described it as smoky so much as lightly toasty.

Was probably a blend, I may never find it again, but I'm aiming for something close and could use some recs. I've searched for it, searched the online store that sold it, but haven't found a description suitably close to bother with an order yet. I now wish I had paid more attention to what the package said it had in it, but alas, I did not.

Any of the connaisseurs here have any ideas? It's nearly winter and everything outside is already frozen solid, because November in Eastern Canada is like that. I need warm tea ideas.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I like chai tea, especially Celestial brand. I once drank rose tea during an elegant dinner. It was delicious.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
So, there's a particular tea I had a few years back that has now been discontinued and I'd more or less given up on ever having anything like it again--it was called a winter spice tea, which I realize is not especially specific, but although I'm a big tea drinker I'm not anything like an expert on it and I don't really know enough to narrow the category down so I can get something similar to it again. Was one of the warmest things I've ever drunk.

I'm mostly certain it was black with an outside chance of chai. Fairly sure it had cinnamon and other related spices. I'm wondering if it was a smoked tea, which I didn't even realize existed until I read this thread? It had a kind of woody flavour, but I wouldn't have described it as smoky so much as lightly toasty.

Was probably a blend, I may never find it again, but I'm aiming for something close and could use some recs. I've searched for it, searched the online store that sold it, but haven't found a description suitably close to bother with an order yet. I now wish I had paid more attention to what the package said it had in it, but alas, I did not.

Any of the connaisseurs here have any ideas? It's nearly winter and everything outside is already frozen solid, because November in Eastern Canada is like that. I need warm tea ideas.

I know you asked for the connoisseurs thoughts, but I'm gonna chime in instead :) :

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/winter-spice-tea/profile

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score

Have you tried emailing the online site where you bought it in the past and asking them who made the tea and what was in the blend? And could they recommend a substitute? In my experience, most of the on-line tea retailers are happy to help with those sorts of queries. All tea drinkers are sympathetic to the feeling of desperation we experience when a favorite tea disappears. :)

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried emailing the online site where you bought it in the past and asking them who made the tea and what was in the blend? And could they recommend a substitute? In my experience, most of the on-line tea retailers are happy to help with those sorts of queries. All tea drinkers are sympathetic to the feeling of desperation we experience when a favorite tea disappears. :)

Sorry, missed this.

Yeah, the tea was originally a gift--I'm not even sure where it was from, and I threw out the package before realizing that, yeah, I might want that in order to track it down. So I figure I'll never get the exact same again, which is fine, but hopefully I can find something similar in flavour and feel.

Thanks, though.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
It is a ton of info - I've been putting all the info bits and nuggets and what not that I've picked up over the last couple few weeks into a spreadsheet - helps me compartmentalize things a little better.

I've got it sorted into tea categories and types within each (e.g. black teas include Earl Gray, Darjeeling, Oolong, etc.) Helps me learn and remember stuff by the repetition, and then at the end I also have a very easily referenced compilation in Excel! :)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What a great thread!

I've been a fan of Upton teas for years. Their samplers are a good start, and they also sell sample-size packets (2 or 3 servings) of most of their teas for $1 or so, so you can try out a lot of things to see what you like.

My staple drink-it-all-day tea is their Yunnan TGFOP, very tasty with milk. I also got a small packet of their Organic Russian Caravan a few weeks ago that I'm going to have to get more of. Very flavorful! (Though it's a bit disconcerting, when I'm cleaning up, to see that it's unfurled into a pile of nearly whole wet leaves & stems.)

There are a few teapots in the house, but what I normally use is this "IngenuiTEA bottom-dispensing" model - it's very convenient to brew a mugful without having to fuss with filters, tea balls, etc, allows good visibility on the leaves, and it's simple to clean up.

Alas, I have to switch to decaf beverages after 3 PM. Currently in heavy rotation: Bigelow Perfect Peach & Sweet Dreams, and Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What a great thread!

I've been a fan of Upton teas for

I keep the current print version of their catalog around and use it to pick samples to try. I also buy a bunch of samples to use as small gifts for friends at this time of year.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
Try white! It's got more antioxidants than green and tastes (in great generality) more mild and sort of floral-y tea rather than the grassy note some greens can get.

I have never even heard of white tea haha, it sounds entrancing. I will have to look into it, I am mighty partial to grass and plants, I think I am attracted to the green gunk because it feels like I put a ton of random flecks of grass and bits of leaves in a cup and poured water in, I actually did that frequently as a child... it didn't taste much different, just more caterpillar poop I guess :Shrug:

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! This thread is perfect for me, I just recently started getting into tea. Can't wait to read everyone's recommendations and work my way up the quality chain. :)

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm drinking peppermint tea with milk and it's just perfect.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
I Just Made A Pot Of Tea and Sat Down To Find This Thread

Absolutely true. I made a pot of Chinese Gun Powder Tea, a green tea which looks like little balls. Poured a cup of the tea in a preheated ceramic cup and walked to the family room to read these threads. This one catching my eye right off.

During my life I have enjoyed many different teas. From the Lipton tea bag of my youth to a young adult discovering "real" tea, loose leaf types, to an middle aged adult wondering around the tea aisles of a Japanese store, and now to an old adult refusing to admit the setting of ways in stone around her teas.

I have become particular in my tea drinking. No bags, loose leaf is paramount. No need to consume a product which has traditionally been less than transparent of its heritage. Clean filtered water, unless the source is known and observable. Clean kettle, pot and cups. A delicate Japanese green variety requires care to enjoy. Do set a time to sit back and block out the world to just enjoy a good cup. Do not become stuck on one type or brand. Explore the thousands or millions of variations. Teach the world how to brew a cup of tea. I am stunned at times when someone I think of as experienced asks me what the little ball is.

One thing I do enjoy is to spend time with a friend to demonstrate the differences in green teas. What is Japanese green versus Chinese green. Gun Powder versus longjing. What mixes such as Earl Grey are like. How to enjoy the early, middle and late pours.

Most of my tea comes from Asian markets, but even those have been reduced from several aisles to a section only. One store I do purchase from is Pacific Mercantile in Denver, Colorado. They are my go to store for Japanese products. The tea selection is very good.

xenomouse

Registered
Reaction score
I really like a lot of different tea. The only kinds I can think of that I don't like are rooibos and chamomile.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it would be this rose-strawberry black tea that I get from Adagio. I really like chai, plain English breakfast tea, and blackcurrant tea hot. Iced, I like fruity herbal blends, or anything with hibiscus. Oh, and there's a tea shop where I live that has a really amazing almond biscotti black tea that is lovely hot or iced.

People have been mentioning lapsang souchong. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I like it, but I am kind of fascinated with it. Its flavor is a bit like the smell of gasoline to me, in that I can't decide if I love it or hate it. Maybe both.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I love Darjeeling. Of the easily found in a store versions, I like Twinings the best. Do not over steep Darjeeling. I also love Assam.

Got a box of this once my English Breakfast from Stash ran out, the other day, and I fell in like a lot with this too. Nice steep - and works great with the electric kettle straight into my mug :)

I have several tea samplers on my holiday list, along with a teapot or two so I can brew larger quantities for sipping over a longer time period without having to make a fresh cup every time. Still also not missing coffee, and I am sleeping better now too! :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
New tea-related question - had a student in class last week and she said I shouldn’t be “juicing” my tea pod after steeping.

Apparently this adds more tannins or bitterness to your tea because it’s embedded in the tea leaves in the bag or pod. I tried it without juicing thereafter and did notice the intensity of the flavor was substantially weaker. I think I like it with the “juice” or more tannins. That said, it’s clearly subjective to the drinker, but wonder - is there a normative “standard” here?

To juice or not to juice...

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does add tannins. I don't remove the bag or ball or whatever, generally.