AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Non-bubblegum book about one-sided love recommendations

practical experience, FTW satyesu's Avatar

Non-bubblegum book about one-sided love recommendations

I am not at all confident this thread goes here, so please delete it if you must. In my book a 17-year-old high school senior develops a crush on a married 27-year-old. Is there a book (esp novel) you recommend that would provide inspiration? I don't know how to find anything similar besides "teen crush" pop lit.

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    I'm sort of lost as to what you seek here, Satyesu.

Is the 'about one-sided love recommendations' mentioned in the thread title meant to be the theme? Is the book started? Is it non-fiction? Inspiration for what? If it's fiction, what direction does the story take regarding this crush?
    Last edited by Bufty; 11-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Everything yields to treatment.

Have you tried searching Goodreads? There are lots of lists there. There's been quite a few one-sided love stories in books in the recent years, some quite famous - the Bella and Jacob storyline from the Twilight books for example. "Gone with the Wind" is a timeless classic, as is "The Remains of the Day" by K.Ishiguro. If you google further with more details of the plot you are looking for, then most probably more books will show up. The problem, of course, will be that if you find a book that has exactly the same plot like yours, and you also use it for "inspiration", wouldn't the result be a copy of said book rather than an original work?

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    Which is your POV character?

Quote Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
    I'm sort of lost as to what you seek here, Satyesu.

Is the 'about one-sided love recommendations' mentioned in the thread title meant to be the theme? Is the book started? Is it non-fiction? Inspiration for what? If it's fiction, what direction does the story take regarding this crush?
    It doesn't have to be the theme, but a theme, yes. My book is started, and it's fiction. I'm just looking for a book recommendation because (though it embarrasses me to admit this) I've never actually had a "normal" relationship - just crushes that don't go anywhere, which the one in my book mainly doesn't. I guess my problem is my crushes usually didn't get past that stage, so I need to know what typically ensues. Because she sort of "goes out with him" as friends, but it's ambiguous whether she's attracted.

A cave. (I power the internet with my imagination)
    It can be whatever you want to ensue. There's no absolute. It's your story, tell it the way you see fit.
    I forgot my old signature. Guess I'll make a new one or something. Let's see...something wise...uh..."he who does not write...? Is not a writer?"

...Does anyone even read this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by satyesu View Post
    It doesn't have to be the theme, but a theme, yes. My book is started, and it's fiction. I'm just looking for a book recommendation because (though it embarrasses me to admit this) I've never actually had a "normal" relationship - just crushes that don't go anywhere, which the one in my book mainly doesn't. I guess my problem is my crushes usually didn't get past that stage, so I need to know what typically ensues. Because she sort of "goes out with him" as friends, but it's ambiguous whether she's attracted.
    In real life these things usually fizzle out and both parties move on. In fiction - don't you just love fiction? - anything at all can happen, and you get to decide the outcome.
    Last edited by WriteMinded; 11-13-2017 at 08:10 PM.

practical experience, FTW benbenberi's Avatar
    If a 17-year-old's crush on a married 27-year-old doesn't fizzle, it may be entering the deeply-creepy zone. Look up "Long Island Lolita" for an example of what happens next.

Don't want that to be your model? OK. It's your story -- make up something better!

Another Google idea: "unrequited love" -- it's a classic theme.

Roger, thanks. And I'm sure it would fizzle, but she dies.

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odile_Blud View Post
    It can be whatever you want to ensue. There's no absolute. It's your story, tell it the way you see fit.
    I would have to agree STRONGLY with this.
    Vivere militare est.