AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Should I send a certified letter to agent?

figuring it all out

Should I send a certified letter to agent?

My agent and I have parted ways. I offered to send a certified letter giving notice as specified in the agreement, but they said there was no need and emailed me to say "This is to confirm we have terminated our agreement, effective today."

My question is, should I still send a certified letter (as specified in the agreement) just to be sure? And do I need to give notice, even though it was waived? The agreement specifies three months notice, but if that's been waived, I'm not sure if I still need to specify that if I do send a certified letter.
    Last edited by writera; 11-11-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Hell yes, send the letter. Follow the contract. You can reference their email if you want (“as per Agent’s email of <date>”), but if the contract specifies a certified letter, send a certified letter.

(I’ve had one too many “oh, nobody will care about that clause” conversations with people myself. It’s a legal contract. Agent can think you’re being pedantic all they want - protect yourself without apology.)
    November goal: An additional 60K on WIP #2 (+52,976 : 69,242/~120,000)

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

figuring it all out
    Ok. I think you're right. I'll send the letter. But I'm not sure about if I need to give notice in the letter? It specifies three months, but the agent waived that, sending me an email, terminating agreement, effective that day.

I've always gone with the email termination (2 instances), both waived the certification and the waiting period - one was an amicable split, the other was unexpected due to extenuating circumstances. Started querying for a new agent the next day.

If sending the letter makes you feel better, then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by writera View Post
    Ok. I think you're right. I'll send the letter. But I'm not sure about if I need to give notice in the letter? It specifies three months, but the agent waived that, sending me an email, terminating agreement, effective that day.
    I'd phrase the letter as a confirmation of the email, and specify that Agent waived the notice.

And save the email for eternity.

(And if you have reasons to be concerned about the integrity of anyone involved, talk to an attorney and follow their advice, because we are all Strangers on the Internet. )
    November goal: An additional 60K on WIP #2 (+52,976 : 69,242/~120,000)

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    (And if you have reasons to be concerned about the integrity of anyone involved, talk to an attorney and follow their advice, because we are all Strangers on the Internet. )
    ^ Yeppers.

Take whatever measures necessary to protect yourself and give you peace of mind.

figuring it all out
    Great suggestions! Thank you both.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    I'd phrase the letter as a confirmation of the email, and specify that Agent waived the notice.

And save the email for eternity.

Print an extra copy of the letter being sent certified, print a copy of the email, and staple it all together with your copies of the receipts from the post office. File it away Just In Case for extra CYA insurance. These days, you can't rely on keeping electronic copies of any important correspondence as your sole source of back-up.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

figuring it all out
    Good idea. Thank you!