AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Fantasy/Speculative/Genre Publishers List

figuring it all out

Fantasy/Speculative/Genre Publishers List

Okay, so I'm trying to list current markets for fantasy/genre/speculative fiction (and its many sub-genres), primarily Adult, but can add ones that publish YA too, current as of 2017. To my knowledge, these are all the major and smaller ones. Is there anything I've missed? Primarly focusing on reputable or established publishers here. (I may add separate lists for newer presses and/or digital only presses later.)

The publishers who accept unagented submissions and/or occasionally have open doors are marked with asterisks (* if usually open, ** if sometimes open). Also separated them into UK, US, and Canada, but we can add more countries too. I think we should also try to separate them into lists of big, mid-size, and small presses. Will be interested to see other peoples' suggestions too and hope this is helpful.

Note: I know this list will go out of date eventually, as a lot of the older lists on here have. But I think it's a good idea to have a current list for 2017 onwards and try to keep it updated. When searching for publishers, I've come across a lot of lists that were very out of date with publishers who have closed down, etc. So my research is thorough and pretty recent.

Note 2: Always research a publisher before submitting to them to make sure they're legit. Most of the publishers below also have individual threads here on AW which I'll try to link to, that you should read. This is intended to just be a list of markets.

LARGE PUBLISHERS

USA

Tor/Forge** Website / AW thread

Baen Books* Website / AW thread

Daw/Penguin* Website / AW thread

Harper Voyager** Website / AW thread

Doubleday (Knopf) Website

Ace/Roc Website / AW thread

Orbit Website

Del Rey/Bantam/Spectra/Ballantine (Random House) Website

Viking Penguin Website / AW thread

John Joseph Adams/JJA Books (imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) Website / AW thread

UK

Headline/Hachette UK Website

Gollancz** Website / AW thread

Harper Voyager UK** Website / AW thread

Tor UK/Pan Mcmillan** Website

Orbit Website

Hodderscape Website / AW thread

MID-SIZE PUBLISHERS

USA

Quirk Books* Website / AW thread

Skyhorse* (Talos/Night Shade imprints) Website / AW thread

UK

Angry Robot** Website / AW thread

Head of Zeus* Website / AW thread

Titan Books Website

Jo Fletcher Books/Quercus* Website / AW thread

PS Publishing** Website / AW thread

Rebellion Publishing/Solaris Books/Abaddon** Website / AW thread (Rebellion/Abaddon) / AW thread (Solaris)

SMALL PRESSES

USA

Journalstone** Website / AW thread

Shadow Mountain Publishing* Website / AW thread

Severed Press** Website / AW thread

Tachyon Publications Website

Prime Books Website / AW thread

CANADA

Edge Publishing* Website / AW thread

Chizine Publications** Website / AW thread

UK

Immanion Press* Website / AW thread

Tartarus Press* Website

Kristell Ink** Website

World Weaver Press** Website / AW thread

No star = Agented submissions only.
    * = Usually open to unsolicted submissions.
    ** = Sometimes or occasionally open to unsolicited submissions/open calls.
    Last edited by writera; 11-13-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Adding publishers, adding links.

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    Tor is a US publisher.

Also, DAW/Penguin

Don't forget Angry Robot
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

figuring it all out
    Thanks. Have added these. Tor is US & UK, the latter part of Pan Mcmillan. Can't believe I left AR off lol.

I'm also started adding some small/medium publishers to the list, so let me know what's missing. I think we should probably only add reputable/established presses and maybe I'll split the small publishers into medium and very small. I'll make a separate list for digital only.

Do Henry Holt and St. Martin's Press publish speculative fiction? Will add them if so.

And please let me know if there's any I should add, edit, or remove. Let's try to make a really comprehensive list!
    Last edited by writera; 11-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.

I write novels
    There's also this resource:

https://querytracker.net/publishers.php

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Luna Press, Krystall Ink, Neverwhen all UK independents

figuring it all out
    Thanks for adding Waylander.

I'll add Kristell Ink because I've come across them - they seem to be closed to submissions a lot. But I'm pretty sure they're reputable/established right?

I know Luna Press too, but they're very new so not sure about them?

And I've never heard of Neverwhen and can't find them via google. Who are they?

I write novels
    One reason I suggested the QueryTracker link, is that they give all the necessary details about each publisher, including links, if they do accept unsolicited submissions, what genres they accept, and how to submit. They also update their info regularly. (They do the same with agents.)

AW also has an index of current publishers and agents in BR&BC.

While I understand the motive behind this list, I think it's 1) hard to maintain, 2) doesn't link to the publisher or the AW thread, and 3) is duplicating the effort.

JMO

figuring it all out
    I like the QueryTracker list and have used it but not all the speculative publishers are listed on there. I'm currently adding links to the websites and AW threads. So far all the ones I've added to the list I've either subbed to, been subbed to, or have researched. I agree it's hard to maintain and might go out of date, but for now it might be of some help to people subbing fantasy/speculative.
    Last edited by writera; 11-12-2017 at 12:20 AM.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post

AW also has an index of current publishers and agents in BR&BC.
    Thanks, I'll have to check that one out! (A lot of the older lists I found were out of date.)

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by writera View Post
    I like the QueryTracker list and have used it but not all the speculative publishers are listed on there. I'm currently adding links to the websites and AW threads. So far all the ones I've added to the list I've either subbed to, been subbed to, or have researched. I agree it's hard to maintain and might go out of date, but for now it might be of some help to people subbing fantasy/speculative.
    The problem is that your list depends on folks here adding and correcting information. For example, Tor Books (US/UK) are both an imprint of Macmillan. Jo Fletcher is a mid-sized publisher, not a large imprint. And are you counting YA publishers for this list, or only publishers for adult SF/F? And what about links?

Just a few thoughts to make the list more useful.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    NineStar Press is a LGBTQAI+ publisher (small) and has a nice little selection of these types of stories with more coming soon. I'd certainly suggest them. No agent needed.

figuring it all out
    Update - have provided a link to the website of all the publishers in the list and a link to the relevant AW thread where one existed. Very time-consuming but hope this is of help to anyone looking to find a home for their book in current markets. Feel free to comment if you know of any other publishers I haven't added. Only adding established/print or reputable ones at the moment. (Might add newer publishers or digital only later.)
    Last edited by writera; 11-12-2017 at 12:58 AM.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post
    The problem is that your list depends on folks here adding and correcting information. For example, Tor Books (US/UK) are both an imprint of Macmillan. Jo Fletcher is a mid-sized publisher, not a large imprint. And are you counting YA publishers for this list, or only publishers for adult SF/F? And what about links?

Just a few thoughts to make the list more useful.

EQB - Have added links. Updated Jo Fletcher to small/medium publishers. Thanks! This list is primarily Adult SFF but can add YA too.

Quote Originally Posted by sjeller View Post
    NineStar Press is a LGBTQAI+ publisher (small) and has a nice little selection of these types of stories with more coming soon. I'd certainly suggest them. No agent needed.
    sjeller - Thanks! Might add NineStar Press along with newer and/or digital publishers. I've heard really good things about them too, but I think they're still pretty new.
    Last edited by writera; 11-12-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writera View Post
    Thanks for adding Waylander.

I'll add Kristell Ink because I've come across them - they seem to be closed to submissions a lot. But I'm pretty sure they're reputable/established right?

I know Luna Press too, but they're very new so not sure about them?

And I've never heard of Neverwhen and can't find them via google. Who are they?
    My bad, the press is Elsewhen Press

Also New Con Press and PS Publishing

We're probably going to end up arguing semantics here, but I'd say Angry Robot (as an independent press) is mid-sized whereas Jo Fletcher (an imprint of Hachette) counts as large.

There's also Rebellion Publishing in the UK, although I think they're part of the same company as Solaris.
    Facebook Twitter Website

Priest of Bones coming October 2018 from Ace/Roc & Jo Fletcher Books