Mystery Writer Joining RWA?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a mystery writer (or working on it) with published works primarily in non-fiction but I'm considering joining Romance Writers of America. There's a chapter near me, in fact they have an open house tomorrow, and the nearest Mystery Writers of America chapter isn't within my reasonable driving distance. I attended one of the RWA chapter's meetings as a guest about a year ago and they are all great people and helpful authors, so I think I can benefit from membership even if I don't benefit for the genre.

What would you current or aspiring romance writers think about a middle-aged, white male who writes mysteries ingratiating himself into your midst? :)

Thanks for suggestions,

Jeff

Last edited:

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Jeff, I say give it a shot!

Of course, every chapter is different but my chapter has several authors who don't write romance (mystery, sci-fi, young adult to name a few). We also have a few male members as well (one serves on our board as a matter of fact). The meeting content will also vary by chapter. At ours we try to have a mix of craft and career topics, but occasionally we do have a romance-genre specific meeting. But even then, it might be of use!

Best of luck! I'd love to hear about your experience!

Cheryl

P.S. MarkEsq (Mark Pryor) spoke to our chapter last April and he was fantastic. I tried to convince him to come to the dark side and join more of our meetings. ;)

Last edited:

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
We have one in our chapter, and very helpful he is. We also have women who write in a variety of genres. A lot of what goes on in chapter meetings is about writing, character development, plot, etc.—stuff that applies no matter what sort of fiction you are writing. The chapter will probably be delighted to welcome you.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't belong to any groups, but if I did I think I would love to have a different prospective and would welcome anyone to the group. Have fun!