Is the expected response different if an agent requested and was given an exclusive?

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
So, the day after I sent out a fresh batch of queries (and the first batch that wasn't horribly generic) I received my first request for a full. I was over the moon excited! Then, the next morning I found in my inbox a request for a seven day exclusive with some complimentary notes about what the agent had read up to that point. Because I didn't expect anyone else to respond to the queries for another couple of weeks, the agency is a very reputable one, and the time frame was so short I agreed. Now, it's a week later and I'm waiting for a response from the agent. Because she requested an exclusive that ended yesterday, is it appropriate to send a nudge? Or should I cool my jets and leave her alone until a couple of months have passed or I get more interest from other agents? If that happens at all.
Thanks for any help!

writera

Registered
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience to what you describe. I only gave an exclusive once back when I was first querying, to an agent who was very complimentary and emailed a couple of times to say she loved it, then went completely radio silent. It wasted a week or maybe it was two weeks. Not too bad, I suppose, as it could have been longer, but I don't think I'd ever grant an exclusive again. Janet Reid - Query Shark - on her blog also is very against granting exclusives.

I think it is appropriate to send a nudge or at least message her to say you're going to start requerying others and to get back to you if she's interested (I'll let others weigh in on that). You can always nudge her (again) in a couple of months. But my advice is either nudge her or don't but move on straight away to querying others! (Unless you're doing this in batches and don't mind giving some time between sending out queries.)

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the agent and agency in the Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check subforum. You can type the agent's name into the Google custom search box at the bottom of the page. See if the agent has a good or bad track record on this if anything is mentioned. You might also see if there's anything like that on the forums at QueryTracker. Good luck!

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you went through that, but it's so comforting to know someone else has been through this!

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
The agency is a very well established one, and I've looked through every piece of writing I can find about the agent, no one else has even mentioned her asking for an exclusive and she's usually very prompt. That's part of why I'm stressing so much. I'm over thinking the whole thing!

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ambmae,

Fantastic that she liked your work so much so far. I would strongly recommend not nudging at this point. The exclusive you agreed to is up so I would go ahead and continue querying. Chances are that she simply hasn't had the time to finish her read. She'll get back to you when she can. In the meantime, you are better off getting on with querying and trying as best you can to put this out of your mind. There's no real benefit to nudging at this point.

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I like the idea of erring on the side of caution and continuing with my life, I'm so grateful for this forum. I feel much better after talking about it a little. I was giving myself a rash worrying about it, ha ha. I don't blame anyone who doesn't send out their work, this is a crazy process. I envy the people who can laugh off rejections and waiting. Maybe I'll get there with more practice, but I hope I don't have too many opportunities to find out. :)

writera

Registered
Reaction score
I remember being really quite upset about it at the time mainly, I think, because she got my hopes up so much. And then - nothing. I never did hear back from that agent. It was a UK agent but that's all I'll say. And it may not be the same one so it doesn't mean you won't hear back from yours.

I concur that it's probably not worth nudging at this point, but you could message her to say you're going to commence querying (though she'll assume you are anyway) or just say nothing might be best, that's a judgement call - but do go back querying. She'll get back to you if she's interested. Try not to read too much into it is my best advice.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not an issue unless you get another request for exclusive or similar expression of interest. At that point you could, if not too much time has passed, send an email advising her of this and reminding her of the original request. She will then make a quick decision, or reply thanking you for your reminder, or maintain radio silence.

ambmae

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the verdict is in and it's a pass. :( But I'm considering it a win. She provided lots of positive feedback, and three specific critiques of the manuscript. One was a matter of personal taste, but the other two things will help me make the story better if I can implement them. Thanks for all the feedback while I was waiting to hear! The waiting was truly the hardest part of all this.