New and intimidated.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Layla.

I am co-writing several novels with my husband. One is dystopian/urban (What descriptors are we supposed to be using this week?) and part of a projected series. We have been working with Sarah Cypher of Three Penny Editor for the editing of first book of this series (she's been fabulous). We are now drafting query letters (I'd rather be shot), researching agents to target (most of this is already done), working on our synopsis, and we've drafted an NDA for our beta readers. My husband is the parent of this series and I am the step parent. That's the best way to describe our dynamic when we work. He is finishing up his first draft of book 2, as well. We also have another manuscript, a Women's Lit (ish), with another editor Kelley Eskridge of Sterling Editing. I am the mamma on that one, and my husband is the step parent there. I'll be getting that one back from her next week, and then working on revising it.

I found you guys researching the hell that is query letter writing. I have been part of a forum before (on jewelry) but this one completely intimidates me. Which is why I haven't posted before.

Though we both have started a dozen books each, these are the first we've finished. This is our first foray into 'real' writing. And we would really appreciate a community to guide us in this (overwhelming) journey. If you'd like to know more about us, I'd be happy to share. Just let me know what kinds of things are important to you.

Can you guys help learn this forum? I am happy to help people, I'm not just here to be helped. I know I need at least 50 posts to be able to post for feedback on certain boards. And I think that makes perfect5 sense.

Thank you.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Layla :) Well done on the progress so far - and I'm sure you'll find lots of useful info here. Sing out if you get lost - there's always someone around.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mccardey. What do you mean by "sing?" Should I PM a moderator? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Hello regdog, my husband is the moderator of a forum, so first, I appreciate what you do. Second I have read several of those helpful links and did pay for a subscription. I liked the benefits, they were fair and the price reasonable.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm partial to a nice aria, myself. :)

:welcome:

The newbie guide regdog posted is a great place to start. If you have questions about the forum that aren't in the plentiful FAQs, the Newbie Pub can be a good place to ask.

Given you came here because of queries, you might want to explore Query Letter Hell. The password's vista. You're right in that you can't post your own work until you hit 50 posts, but you can certainly crit others (build up some goodwill!) and get a feel for the place.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mccardey. What do you mean by "sing?" Should I PM a moderator? Sorry if that's a silly question.
Oh - sing out just means call out*. There's usually someone around with an answer. You can always PM a mod if you get really stuck - but regdog's guide is worth spending some time on first.

ETA: Also, what frank said :)

Last edited:

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Frank. Mccardey, the reason I asked is that I've looked at the file that explains abbreviations and what not, and I noticed it was missing somethings. So I wanted to make sure that 'sing' wasn't a forum specific term.

Consider me a nightingale. I have tried to follow links people have posted (especially in the share your work threads for newbies) and when I click on them, the new window says I am logged out. So I log in, but the link never shows up. So I go back to the original link, try again... fail. What's up with that?

I use Firefox. Should I use something different for this place?

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've done many of the recommended query exercises. I am still inches away from braining myself with a 2x4.

Can you link e to a discussion of how much, or how little of the plot to share in a query.

For example this exercise:
1. What does your protagonist want? MC wants to rescue his kidnapped mother.
2. What does s/he have to do to get it? MC trades himself for his mom to Badguy (the architect of the apocalypse) because Badguy really wants him, not his mom.
3. What happens if s/he fails to get what she wants? (the stakes) His mother dies and Badguy gains the control and the power of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Do we just tell the agent in the query letter who the kidnapper is and what the stakes are? Those are mysteries in the book to be solved. I'm so lost. I don't know how to turn these exercises into a query letter.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
. I have tried to follow links people have posted (especially in the share your work threads for newbies) and when I click on them, the new window says I am logged out. So I log in, but the link never shows up. So I go back to the original link, try again... fail. What's up with that?

SYW is password protected. (The password is vista). Have you been using that?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Can you link e to a discussion of how much, or how little of the plot to share in a query.

<snip>

Do we just tell the agent in the query letter who the kidnapper is and what the stakes are? Those are mysteries in the book to be solved. I'm so lost. I don't know how to turn these exercises into a query letter.

Ah. You're at the "WTF if a query letter?!" stage. :) My advice? Don't worry about the exercises for now -- get a handle on queries first.

Think of a query letter like a teaser-trailer for your book. It's the hook you use to entice an agent to read pages. It's kind of like the blurb you'd find on the back of a book, but it's for agents' eyes, not a prospective book-buyer's.

I suggest reading through the QLH stickies, starting perhaps with the "Successful Queries" thread. These queries have garnered AW writers success (whether requests for fulls/partials, or in actually landing an agent). I've linked to the most recent page, because query styles change over time. Start at the end and work your way backwards. You'll see what kind of queries have snagged agent-interest.

Next, read through the entire archives of Query Shark (yup, all of them). Janet Reid's an agent who dissects queries. It'll give you a feel for what's required.

Basically ... do lots of reading. Read through the first few pages of active queries in QLH. From the comments and seeing the progression, you'll hopefully start to get the hang of them.

Queries are a completely different skill-set from writing a book. You'll get there. :)

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody Australians, always confusing people.

Wonder what the heck she means by that?

Nevertheless, :welcome:, Layla and hubby. I like your writing association. I write mysteries where detectives are a couple like Partners in Crime, Mr. and Mrs. North, and The Thin Man.

Here's to cooperative relationships. :greenie

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
MC, thank you for your warm welcome and all your help. I will get in touch with moderators about my technical issues.

SciSarahTops: Honestly, that is incredibly helpful. Just to know that someone else feels the same way helps!

Frank,
OMG. Thank you. The successful queries thread is the BEST help I've gotten so far. I spent the morning reading and I felt the clouds part dispersing the miserable storm I've been caught in. I'm going to read all the sticky threads in the Query area. The verb thread is great advice and something I was struggling with... but I couldn't put it into words.

I've read some of query shark. I don't find it as helpful. What not to do is important, but it's only muddled me to date, so I will re-visit it, but not at this stage.

Tenuki: Hello Fellow Newbie.

Hi Chase, It's been a long road to get here. In our 18 years together we've tried to write collaboratively before. We have complimenting strengths and weaknesses so we KNEW together we'd be stronger than the sum of our parts, but figuring out HOW to actually do it took until this year. I like detective mysteries, and enjoy ensemble efforts more than individual ones. I find them more realistic. Thank you for the welcome!

Last edited:

JohnLReed

44-year-old Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the other one.

We have an interesting dynamic, my wife and I.

In the real world, I'm the practical one. I handle finances and investments and bills (not because I demand it, but because Gypsy wants nothing to do with that nonsense so we made it my responsibility . . . this should have been the first clue in our relationship that she is by far the better negotiator, and smarter, too). I have been working full-time basically my entire adult life. Work/life balance? What's that? Even with food, I find a place I like to eat and go there. A lot. Gypsy is "let's try this place", and is far more outgoing and spontaneous. People talk to me because I'm sitting next to her. I'm basically a non-racist-but-far-more-cranky Archie Bunker when it comes to interacting with people.

In the writing world?
John: I am the artiste! The story! It's all about the story! Opinions be damned!!
Gyspy: No one wants to read this, John. This character is a twit.
John: You stab me in my soul! My heart, my heart, oh my heart! I'll self-publish, if I must!
Gypsy: *facepalm*

RenchiDoodle

Rum Runner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antiquitysgate.com
Hello GypsyLayla, Hello JohnLReed! Is it super fun to co-write together? My husband is an indispensable resource as far as outlining, logistics, and figuring out the how's and why's of plot points, but I do all the actual writing myself. I'd be curious to work on something more literally collaborative, but wonder if it's much harder to do, since you're both writing with your own style.

I hope that you get some awesome advice on queries. I have none, I completely freeze up just trying to write a quick author bio! Speaking of which, I'm going to go search the forums for help writing a quick author bio...haha, thanks for the inspiration!

RachelVictor

Weirdo Mountain Punk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hey there!

Welcome to AW (I'm new too. lol). And OH MY GOD you're at the query writing stage. That is a very special kind of Hell, only shadowed slightly by synopsis writing (the literal worst). I also used AW to steer me in certain directions when I was trying to figure out how the heck to draft a query. But hang in there! It'll all be worth it when you snag that agent!

Anywho, welcome!