• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Thoughts in 3rd limited

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question. I'm writing in 3rd limited, and doing thoughts in italics. Should the thoughts be "I" or "He/She" when referring to themselves?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
3rd limited strongly suggests He/She to me.

-Derek

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
If they're the character's thoughts - that is, the character is actively having them; the narrator isn't merely explaining them - they're expressed in the form dialogue would be, without the tags (often with italics, as per the OP.) So 'I' is correct.

Last edited:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
If they're the character's thoughts - that is, the character is actively having them; the narrator isn't merely explaining them - they're expressed in the form dialogue would be, without the tags (often with italics, as per the OP.) So 'I' is correct.
That's the way I do it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question. I'm writing in 3rd limited, and doing thoughts in italics. Should the thoughts be "I" or "He/She" when referring to themselves?

If you're using italics to denote direct internals--that is, what the character is literally thinking at that point--then the usual mode is to use first-person, present tense. These should be kept brief, colloquial, and occasional. You wouldn't want to do this all the time.

Otherwise, the narration can be considered an extension of the character's thoughts, feeling, and perceptions, and would of course be rendered in third-person.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her sideways glance and turning away told him everything. He mentally kicked himself. Idiot! Why'd he said that?

Her sideways glance and turning away told him everything. He mentally kicked himself. Idiot! Why'd I say that?
[/I]

Yep. Take your pick.

In Third Person Limited POV an expressed thought can't be the thought of anyone other than the POV character - unless the POV character is a mind-reader.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
In italics use 'I', the italics essentially replace quotations marks. "I like to go super couponing with friends, let me tell you about all my deals," Mary said and then proceeded to brag. Jane huffed, I'd like to go super couponing, she thought. If you don't use italics then third person POV with s/he will work too. Jane huffed. She'd like to go super couponing, too but had no access to coupons and wasn't about to subscribe to the Sunday paper. So which ever style you like you best; neither is wrong.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I use internal thoughts without italics, with limited third. I'm told it's wrong but it's a style I've seen before which I like (though it has to be done carefully to avoid tense issues being jarring). Italics hurt my eyes; if it's quick line in amidst non italicised text I tend to skip it.

"Nothing is free, [character X]. Especially in the Republic."

Of course. "What is it you want?"

etc.

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it wasn't current to use italics for direct thought anymore. Thoughts should flow so well in the narrative that nothing jarring like that is needed.

(*scrambles off to see where I got that from*)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I use internal thoughts without italics, with limited third. I'm told it's wrong but it's a style I've seen before which I like (though it has to be done carefully to avoid tense issues being jarring). Italics hurt my eyes; if it's quick line in amidst non italicised text I tend to skip it.

etc.

If overused italics can (for me) be bothersome to read, and if I'm bothered my mind is not in the story. I use italics sparingly (and probably don't follow the rules) for things like sayings, or the whisper of a ghost... as in:

“Too much fun isn’t a good thing,” he replied. “You know, my grandmother once told me of an old witch’s curse, which was: May you live an interesting life, in interesting times. So just be careful what you wish for as far as adventure goes.”

and

Rat paused to listen as a weighted hush fell around him. Sometimes it seemed as if Swan was answering him, but it was like listening for an echo of an echo. He sat in silence for several minutes letting the peace of the environment fill him, then the answer to his question came as it sometimes did.
Just move forward and don’t fight the current, you’ll make the right decision when the time is right.
“Thank you.” He recalled the many quiet conversations he had enjoyed with Swan while sitting on that same bench. They had seemed so perfect for each other then, but now he wondered if his recollections were overly gilded; maybe his feelings of love were amplified by her loss.

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
OK, thanks everyone. Majority says "I", so I'll go with that. Glad I second guessed myself and asked, I originally had it the other way.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
I use internal thoughts without italics, with limited third. I'm told it's wrong but it's a style I've seen before which I like

Interesting. I've been told by writing professors to not ever use italics xD Oh rules.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

etc.

Yes, that's often the best way to incorporate direct thoughts. No need for italicized thoughts unless there's an obvious change of tense and person (from third to first, I mean).

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I would say there is difference between what writers do and what is taught.

Writers more commonly use italics for internal thoughts, in my anecdotal experience.

I personally find that difficult because everything as written is technically an internal thought, so I don't understand where I'd draw the line between what should be italicised and what shouldn't be, except when used as emphasis perhaps. That might be why professors say not to do it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I personally find that difficult because everything as written is technically an internal thought, so I don't understand where I'd draw the line between what should be italicised and what shouldn't be.

When the thought is rendered in first-person, rather than third. Like this:

His subtle mockery made her cheeks burn. "What about you?" she asked. "What do you stand to lose?" Whatever it is, I hope it kills you.

Or this:

"Where are we going, Mama?" Jona asked.

To our doom. "To see the prince of the outlaws," she said in a falsely cheery voice.

Obviously either of those could be rewritten as third-person past tense, but sometimes what I want is that little extra punch that comes from having a character express a thought directly, as silent commentary.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
No, I understand that, but what I mean is why authors sometimes choose to render some thoughts in first and some in third, when everything in close third particularly is supposed to reflect the character's thoughts.

I can see it more for distant third or omni than I can for close.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I understand that, but what I mean is why authors sometimes choose to render some thoughts in first and some in third, when everything in close third particularly is supposed to reflect the character's thoughts.

I can see it more for distant third or omni than I can for close.

To me, it's not so much that everything reflects the chosen POV character's thoughts, but that only the thoughts of the chosen POV character can be reported.

One always uses italics carefully and with choice, and to me, using italics for thoughts is the same as using italics for dialogue. Sparingly and deliberately for effect.

There are different degrees of thought. The chosen Third Person Limited POV character can be simply considering a situation, or casually reflecting upon something -in which case the reported thoughts easily fall into the regular narrative regardless of whether it's so-called close or distant.

On the other hand a thought can be impulsive or strong and close to being expressed out loud, but deliberately suppressed. Perhaps because it would either adversely impact on the current situation if spoken aloud, or because by being suppressed it lends a definite sub-text or contrary meaning to the related spoken dialogue. In such cases, using italics can sometimes be very effective and add that extra punch, as already mentioned and illustrated by Beth.

It's basically a style choice for impact.

Last edited: