Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Roy Moore: Predator(?)

down the rabbit hole of research... CWatts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nighttimer View Post
    Doug Jones doesn't jump the bones of little girls because he's a liberal and a Democrat and he's soft, pathetically soft. We can't risk having a weak sister like Jones in the Senate.
    No, he just gets long-deferred justice for four murdered girls. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9d028384aad6 And the choirs kept singing of freedom....

This is why we need to replace that Guy Code with the Grown-up Code. That eliminates the "be boys when they don't want to be held accountable for their actions but simply want to get away with it" and defines being a MAN and being a WOMAN the same way - as being a grown-a** adult. You know, like the MAN who set a shining example of class and caring in the White House from 2009 to 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Twick View Post
    For the women, there's the corollary I'm Not Like Other Girls. If you enthusiastically agree with the Bros about how Other Girls are weak, lazy, lying, manipulative b****es, there's a chance you will achieve Honorary Bro status. This will not only immediately raise your status from Ho, but will (you fondly hope) protect you from the predatory attitude of the Bros. After all, one Bro wouldn't grope a fellow Bro, or deny him a promotion.
    This is kind of OT, but I want to poke at this a little, because it's a popular meme these days: rejecting "girly" things means you subconsciously hate your femininity or want to join the "boys club."

I have no doubt there are women for whom this is true. It's certainly been reinforced culturally, in television, movies, media, etc.

But there are some of us who bent over backwards as kids to be "girly." We loved dresses and princesses and bright colors and curly hair and makeup. And we tried and tried and tried, but all the girls who got it "right" made fun of us and told us we didn't belong and no one would ever want us.

So eventually we stopped trying. And joining the "boys club" was not a reward, but a default: at least someone let us in.

Of course, when I was a kid, the "boys club" was generally made up of SFF fans and computer geeks, and wasn't quite so populated with half-grown frat boys as it is now. Mostly I met boys who didn't fit in with "boy" stuff, and were relieved to find girls (as well as other boys) that would value them for the non-stereotypical stuff they enjoyed and were good at.

(A lot of that's been co-opted by Broville these days, in part, I think, because it finally dawned on them that there was money in tech. And those types of men have always seen women as their rightful reward - not as people they want to be working with side by side. It's corrupted a lot of the tech world IME, but that's really OT.)

So, yeah. I have been working to retrain myself not to look at beautiful, feminine women as The Enemy, but it's hard, because for my entire childhood, and a not insignificant part of my young adulthood, they very much were The Enemy. They used their beauty and their femininity as weapons against me, and held them up as the ultimate virtues that I would never attain and didn't deserve.

There's a line between that experience and what we have today, for sure (although as the parent of a 13-year-old girl, I can tell you there are still girls who use their looks as a way to demean other girls), but it's a lot more complex than "girly-girls are inferior." At least for me.

ETA: As I re-read this, I realize that the club I was joining as a kid was really the outsider's club, and that what's changed is some of the things that made people outsiders when I was a kid have a) entered mainstream culture, and b) been monetized. That tends to make them viewed as masculine by the larger culture, because popular jobs that pay well have always tended to be dominated by men. So I think the whole thing is even fuzzier than I was thinking.
    Last edited by lizmonster; 11-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    December goals:

1. WIP outline/integration of notes
    2. Revise first 1/3 of WIP
    3. At least 2 blog posts
    4. Progress on side projects
    5. Other WIP, if applicable

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    I miss President Obama.

There was a man with ethics, with intelligence, with integrity, with dignity, and with capability and understanding.

There was a man who respected women as well as men, who listened and tried to make life better for everyone.

There was a man who knew what it meant to be poor and tried to help those less fortunate.

There was a man who knew what it meant to govern for the sake of an entire nation, who could speak eloquently and with grace and wit and compassion and who worked to improve the lives of all he was responsible for.

There was a man who understood how government worked and turned his not inconsiderable genius towards making it work well.

There was a man who understood the faithful bonds of love and marriage.

There was a man whose life held not a hint of scandal in any realm.

I miss President Obama.

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    I miss President Obama.

There was a man with ethics, with intelligence, with integrity, with dignity, and with capability and understanding.

There was a man who respected women as well as men, who listened and tried to make life better for everyone.

There was a man who knew what it meant to be poor and tried to help those less fortunate.

There was a man who knew what it meant to govern for the sake of an entire nation, who could speak eloquently and with grace and wit and compassion and who worked to improve the lives of all he was responsible for.

There was a man who understood how government worked and turned his not inconsiderable genius towards making it work well.

There was a man who understood the faithful bonds of love and marriage.

There was a man whose life held not a hint of scandal in any realm.

I miss President Obama.
    QFT.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.E. Lawrence

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone RedRajah's Avatar
    A woman approached The Post with dramatic — and false — tale about Roy Moore. She appears to be part of undercover sting operation.

A woman who falsely claimed to The Washington Post that Roy Moore, the Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Alabama, impregnated her as a teenager appears to work with an organization that uses deceptive tactics to secretly record conversations in an effort to embarrass its targets.
    In a series of interviews over two weeks, the woman shared a dramatic story about an alleged sexual relationship with Moore in 1992 that led to an abortion when she was 15. During the interviews, she repeatedly pressed Post reporters to give their opinions on the effects that her claims could have on Moore’s candidacy if she went public.
    The Post did not publish an article based on her unsubstantiated account. When Post reporters confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and an Internet posting that raised doubts about her motivations, she insisted that she was not working with any organization that targets journalists.
    But on Monday morning, Post reporters saw her walking into the New York offices of Project Veritas, an organization that targets the mainstream news media and left-leaning groups. The organization sets up undercover “stings” that involve using false cover stories and covert video recordings meant to expose what the group says is media bias.

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Another dishonest James O'Keefe operation. They targeted Planned Parenthood with multiple fraudulent stunts a while back. They don't just try to expose people, they create propaganda pieces claiming to expose things they actually made up with clever editing and lies.

I'm purposefully not linking to their dishonest site.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 11-28-2017 at 04:06 AM.

James O’Keefe Is Fighting His Insurance Company
    The conservative activist filmmaker is battling insurance company Gemini after it refused to back Project Veritas on lawsuits filed by targets of his undercover videos....

For months, lawsuits have piled up against James O’Keefe, the conservative filmmaker and provocateur, from various targets of his signature undercover videos....

Now Project Veritas is engaged in a battle with the company it hoped would protect it, a dispute that lays bare the stark challenges faced by O’Keefe for the kind of controversial, litigation-prone hidden camera stings that have made him both a scourge and a conservative media darling. ...

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    Of course, when I was a kid, the "boys club" was generally made up of SFF fans and computer geeks, and wasn't quite so populated with half-grown frat boys as it is now. Mostly I met boys who didn't fit in with "boy" stuff, and were relieved to find girls (as well as other boys) that would value them for the non-stereotypical stuff they enjoyed and were good at.
    This sums up my experience too. I always felt like I fell through the cracks between what was considered normal "girly" behavior and interests and normal "boyish" behavior and interests.

I also came of age after Title IX, so being into sports was not automatically seen as unfeminine or inconsistent with being pretty and popular. I wasn't too good at sports either, or interested in sports that didn't involve horses or dogs. And I was never into all the popular TV shows that kids of both genders spent most of their free time talking about.

Still, there were some nerdy guys who were jerks too.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

The real question is: Did he repeat his behavior that he is accused of 40 years back? If yes, then those ladies should come out and Roy Moore is doomed.
    _____
    "Good things come to those who work their asses off and never give up."
    "Cash at Home Series." "Entrepreneurs' Guide to Direct Mail Order"

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Hey, maybe he's just realized that a) cover-ups don't work when everyone is watching, and b) it's all going to come out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    Hey, maybe he's just realized that a) cover-ups don't work when everyone is watching, and b) it's all going to come out anyway.
    I suspect he is trying to cast all of the accusations as lies and frame-up jobs by being open that this one is propaganda as fake as can be.

If people think that all of the accusations against Moore are lies, Moore and O’Keefe win.

It is an attempt to smear the women and the little girls Moore slobbered all over, not to mention all the witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    Still, there were some nerdy guys who were jerks too.
    Oh, indeed yes. There was one guy in particular, although I never heard anyone accuse him of anything non-consensual. Always felt rather unsettled around him, though.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Quote Originally Posted by SandyH View Post
    The real question is: Did he repeat his behavior that he is accused of 40 years back? If yes, then those ladies should come out and Roy Moore is doomed.
    Why should he be any more doomed than this is now? People already know who he is. If people support him now, they will continue to support him.
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    It occurs to me that O’Keefe is — not stupidly at all, but malevolently — casting all left wing people as liars and opportunists.

He is acting so oddly, one might think he actually believes the ridiculous stories the Right tells itself about what Liberals are like.

For example, the woman he tried to plant at the Washington Post told a cover story of herself that is a pure rightwing caricature of a leftwing woman, all ambition and callous careerism and self serving teenage promiscuity and casual uncaring abortion and a sneering willingness to lie her fool head off for money to bring down a godly rightwing man.

No sensble person would buy that act. I am guessing that is why the Washington Post did not take the bait.

It occurs to me that O’Keefe is — not stupidly at all, but malevolently — casting all left wing people as liars and opportunists.
    If one were particularly cynical, one might suggest that they are assuming all left wing people are the same as they are.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

practical experience, FTW
    He's doing the traditional counter ploy routine. With Trump & Moore = 'I'm a victim of Left wing media hunt. Please fund me to defend myself'

With O'Keefe it's 'Our brilliant undercover journalist* (who has been 'embedded' in the Post for months) has been uncovered. These things happen in war. So please fund us to continue our righteous campaign'

the journalist he refers to is the woman 'Jamie' who gave the false info.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy The First View Post
    ...'I'm a victim of Left wing media hunt. Please fund me to defend myself'

With O'Keefe it's ... please fund us to continue our righteous campaign' ...
    I don't think one can understate these guys' goal of raising money.

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    This news of O'Keefe's fundraising, combined with Sebastian Gorka's recent 'World's Most Interesting Fascist' Twitter campaign and some unfortunate research on my part as to who Mencius Moldbug is got me really dejected this morning, my thought process being something like 'Man, why can't I mediocre, low-wattage sociopath so I can be on permanent right-wing welfare?'. All you have to do is be the worst person in the world and tell all your other worst people in the world lies they clearly know are lies, and you rake in six figures a year. I assume that Nice Young Nazi In Ohio Who's Totally Into Seinfeld So He's A Nice Person is gonna get a ride on this gravy train too (If he doesn't get nominated for a judicial position).

If one were particularly cynical, one might suggest that they are assuming all left wing people are the same as they are.
    It was from a Conservative that I first heard the phrase “false flag operation” many years ago. I had no idea what it meant at the time.

It seems to remain a popular accusation against the Left among the Right, although it is so far as I can tell pretty rare and most of the examples of it I know of offhand have been committed by Conservatives like Mr. O’Keefe.

"False flag operation" makes me think of the attempts by fascists fighting against communists and anarchists in Europe in the first half of the 20th Century. Since fascists had more wealth backing them than people, guerrilla warfare by elaborate ruses was the most feasible option for them.

It seems to remain a popular accusation against the Left among the Right, although it is so far as I can tell pretty rare and most of the examples of it I know of offhand have been committed by Conservatives like Mr. O’Keefe.
    I lived with an alcoholic with NPD for a few years. Every single nefarious thing he accused me of doing was something he'd done (or was dreaming of doing) himself. He was skilled at putting me on the defensive, and "forgiving" me for things I hadn't done.

The Right Wing feels very familiar to me.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Awoman, with a scrapbook evidece, has come forward, saying-she she dated Roy Moore when she was 17 and he 34.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d15173a3c494
    Congressional Republicans are a semi-"courageous" lot. They have no fear of voters, but shake in their boots at the very thought of the NRA or Grover Norquist.

About a month ago a former colleague in the DA's office claims it was common knowledge that Roy Moore hung out at the mall and high school football games and dated teenagers. It has occurred to me that instead of banning Moore, the mall should have offered him a part time, seasonal job as a department store santa. Now I realize bouncing a grade school girl on his lap would have been hard on Ol' Roy, but hey, in a pinch a "man" takes what he can get.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/moore-dated-highschool-girls_us_5a07944ce4b05673aa59a22f
    Last edited by BoF; 12-06-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Congressional Republicans are a semi-"courageous" lot. They have no fear of voters, but shake in their boots at the very thought of the NRA or Grover Norquist.

I lived with an alcoholic with NPD for a few years. Every single nefarious thing he accused me of doing was something he'd done (or was dreaming of doing) himself. He was skilled at putting me on the defensive, and "forgiving" me for things I hadn't done.

The Right Wing feels very familiar to me.
    I spent some years with an abusive, emotionally manipulative person, and I completely agree. The gaslighting, victim blaming, imposition of shame, and denial of stark reality are absolutely textbook. But it's a large chunk of our country who is currently being manipulated, shamed, and intimidated into truculent compliance.

What I still don't know is whether or not my abuser (and the so-called new right) know they're doing this. Is it a deliberate, conscious form of manipulation, or are they as taken in as their victims?
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 12-06-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345